Emby On the Go ( in Car)

saajan4u

saajan4u

I want to setup some sort of in car entertainment for the kids with either headrest monitors or screen/tablet powered by a raspberry pi maybe.. would be cool if the back seat passengers can also have the option to fire up retropi along with emby/kodi.

I just dont know where to start.. streaming via 4g on the go wont be suitable either, also syncing files locally to tablet etc is also wont be suitable considering the filesize and tablets capacity also.

I was thinking a raspberry pi with emby server and 1TB SSD in the glove compartment  with a small router with a hidden SSID and tablet can connect. or is there another simple way to achieve this? 

anyone managed to get something cool going?

would love to hear or see a project.

cheers

saj

If he wants video in the back seat to tablets...then that is not the answer.

saajan4u - there is somewhere out here a post where someone has done pretty much just what you suggested by setting up a small portable server and connecting to it in the car.

kikinjo

Get your self a VPS with some storage space, install emby, get a cloudflare free account and set it up with your emby server. That will help you get better routing and dl speed from nearest cloudflare data-center.

Hook up tablet to your emby domain url and thats it.

saajan4u

that just incurs more cost which i'm planning to avoid lol

but yes that is an option that i can look in to

thanks 

Get your self a VPS with some storage space, install emby, get a cloudflare free account and set it up with your emby server. That will help you get better routing and dl speed from nearest cloudflare data-center.

Hook up tablet to your emby domain url and thats it.

kikinjo

Sure, it involves cost, also rpi and 1 TB ssd is cost :-)

Investigate a bit, its not so costly at all, vps with 500gb space can be found for 4 Euros a month.

CBers

I want to setup some sort of in car entertainment for the kids with either headrest monitors or screen/tablet powered by a raspberry pi maybe.. would be cool if the back seat passengers can also have the option to fire up retropi along with emby/kodi.

I just dont know where to start.. streaming via 4g on the go wont be suitable either, also syncing files locally to tablet etc is also wont be suitable considering the filesize and tablets capacity also.

I was thinking a raspberry pi with emby server and 1TB SSD in the glove compartment  with a small router with a hidden SSID and tablet can connect. or is there another simple way to achieve this? 

anyone managed to get something cool going?

would love to hear or see a project.

cheers

saj

I have used a wireless hard drive in the past in the car and on planes and used the software that came with it.

Great for streaming music or video from, for upto 4 devices.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

saajan4u

i'm thinking more in the lines of..

I have a Samsung netbook which I've stopped using.. may be i can just install windows 10 and share the hotspot from it.. have emby running on it get like a 2tb hdd and sync the movies and shows to it. tablets can connect directly to its wifi. 

and if needed the netbook can hook on to my phones wifi hotspot and can share the internet to the 3 tablets in the back seat so if they want to watch youtube kids instead they can.

anyone done this? will this work?