PlayOn Integration: aka Netflix and Hulu on MB

cracksloth

cracksloth

I have been trying to cobble together some way of integrating Hulu and Netflix into my MB for quite some time.  Given the recent interest in DLNA I am hoping that the feasibility of integrating with PlayOn now seems more reasonable now than when I originally brought it up.  Three possible ideas:

- A plugin that supports browsing of DLNA sources

- listing a DLNA subsection in the "select media path" dialog when adding a path to a library

- A dedicated PlayOn plugin

MB would then act sort of like a DMC (digital media controller) because I'm assuming that most target players would be able to support the native stream of PlayOn without any transcoding.  I'm sure there are other ways of implementing the feature so feel free to comment and share ideas.  I can make a $200 donation to the developer that makes it happen (I'd do more if I could).

Edited by cracksloth
  • Like 1

snazy2000

I've been looking how this could be done for while as would great edition.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
cracksloth

Would anyone else be willing to make a donation of some amount?  If enough people make even modest donations, it might help encourage development and show genuine public interest in the feature.

• Like 1

I would suggest that Snazy just make it a premium plug-in.  That way he could be compensated for his effort after it is complete.

The reality of these situations is there are only so many of us and only so many hours.  While donations are appreciated, they can't always help us create any more of those resources :).

vidkun

I would suggest that Snazy just make it a premium plug-in.  That way he could be compensated for his effort after it is complete.

The reality of these situations is there are only so many of us and only so many hours.  While donations are appreciated, they can't always help us create any more of those resources :).

Sure you can. You just go down to the local resource market and buy some from those shady looking folks in the corner. ;)

A premium plug-in would be fine for me too.

• Like 1

vidkun

Would anyone else be willing to make a donation of some amount?  If enough people make even modest donations, it might help encourage development and show genuine public interest in the feature.

I'd be willing to make a donation as well.

cracksloth

well, my offer still stands (and I personally hope for more contributors).  i realize it won't add extra hours to the day but i think more people should be willing to reward developers for their hard work.  if nothing else, take it as a sign that it's a feature that means enough to me that i'm willing to shed a bit of cash for it.  i imagine i'm not alone in wanting it.  a premium plugin sounds great to me!

if you want more contributors a great thing to do would be to go over to the playon forums and post about how you'd love to be able to watch PlayOn content with Media Browser.

snazy2000

I've worked out a way to do it this morning :) it requires the mobile mode enabled though. Which says is a premium feature so anyone who pays for it can enable it correct? :)

vidkun

First off, that is looking very nice and very promising!

Second, what exactly is "Mobile Mode" and its implications?

Awesome work, again!

snazy2000

If you look in playon settings there's a mobile access mode that needs to be enabled then the plugin can access it.

I will eventually make it run with dlna but this seems a quick and easy way to do it :)

Yes I think we'll eventually have a generic dlna channel, but I'm sure a dedicated PlayOn channel could perform better.

Snazy you can help with the dlna channel after this if you want. I think it will be in the core.

• Like 1

cracksloth

That's outstanding! Snazy, you're awesome!  Just let me know the details when you can.  Really can't wait!

saitoh183

@snazy 

Does your test above support HD? Cuz i know playon can show HD content but has certain requirements in order to do so (check the site for XBMC support to see what i mean). This would be a great addition since i bought playon a while back to use with XBMC only to find out that HD format wasnt supported back then and now the only way for it to work with HD on xbmc is for playon to be installed on the same machine as xbmc.

CWNashvegas

I've worked out a way to do it this morning :) it requires the mobile mode enabled though. Which says is a premium feature so anyone who pays for it can enable it correct? :)

I love you.

That is all.

Oh, and...

53c15e554dd80_52582a340f6c3_170422_danci

PS - @@saitoh183 - the dancing banana was my extra-happy indicator some time before your (and your avatar's) arrival, so please don't think I'm poaching. :D

• Like 1

snazy2000

Im not sure as i dont have a PlayOn account to test with :/ 

Edit:

Looking at there page about clients as this plugin is using the mobile side of things i dont see why it wouldnt be HD compatible as mobiles are :)

Edited by snazy2000
  • Like 1

vidkun

So who will be doing the actual streaming to the client, MBS or PlayOn? Does MBS actually intercept and forward the stream to the client or does it just handle setting up the connection between the client and PlayOn? How this is handled would have a pretty significant impact on whether HD is possible.

I'd also be happy to test this out some for you. Just let me know how to get a copy of the plugin and anything in particular you want tested.

vidkun

PlayOn will stream to MBS which will push it to the clients. 

Perfect! Now I really can't wait to get this!

You, sir, may have just solved an age old dilemma plaguing the masses of the HTPC community since before I ever entered it.

Edited by vidkun

snazy2000

Would anyone with a PlayOn account be willing to let me access your playon server so i can do some testing? 

Would need IP and port (external) 

Thanks

Edited by snazy2000

Would anyone with a PlayOn account be willing to let me access your playon server so i can do some testing? 

Would need IP and port (external) 

Thanks

No - can someone just donate an account to him? This is going to be a popular one. He's going to need an account in order to debug issues.

• Like 1