Streaming to Android over WAN

thousandbuckle
Go to solution Solved by sfnetwork,

thousandbuckle
I have setup the MB3 server on my home network and can play movies from it to other LAN PC's. I have side loaded the MB3 app to my Galaxy S3 and can connect and play movies to the phone will on my internal lan.

I am stuck at being able to connect and stream movies to my phone over the WAN. I have setup port 8096 and 8945 as TCP and UDP because I wasnt sure which one it was. Can some one help me work through how to stream from my MB3 server to my S3 while off the LAN?

Many thanks for your help.

sfnetwork

I have setup the MB3 server on my home network and can play movies from it to other LAN PC's. I have side loaded the MB3 app to my Galaxy S3 and can connect and play movies to the phone will on my internal lan.

I am stuck at being able to connect and stream movies to my phone over the WAN. I have setup port 8096 and 8945 as TCP and UDP because I wasnt sure which one it was. Can some one help me work through how to stream from my MB3 server to my S3 while off the LAN?

Many thanks for your help.

on the android client, did you add a connection with you WAN IP (or dyndns name)?

And can you access the Web client from WAN? (still by using WAN IP)

If your port forwarding are correctly configured, You should be able to connect to WAN IP (www.whatismyip.com)

Edited by sfnetwork

thousandbuckle

Hi sfnetwork,

I created a connection using the WAN IP of the router which is port forwarded to the internal server with MB3. I have yet to be able to connect to the browser externally so maybe that is part of the issue.

What is the url for the web browser when accessing from the WAN?

Is port 8096 and 8945 the only ports I need to forward? Are they TCP or UDP?

thousandbuckle

The port checking tool was a great link.....THANKS! After fiddling with the router and rebooting it the port check came back open and I can access the library from my phone over the WAN.

I have one other issue though. When I browse to the path (IP or dns name):8096/mediabrowser/ it gives me the MediaBrowser dashboard. Is the web url only good for managing the server remotely or can you play files from the server to the browser over the WAN?

thousandbuckle

Thanks Tikuf......I never realized that was a functional button. It did what you said.

Many thanks to you and sfnetwork for your accurate and fast responses. I can go to bed now knowing this is working tomorrow while I will be out and about.

moviefan

Thanks Tikuf......I never realized that was a functional button. It did what you said.

Many thanks to you and sfnetwork for your accurate and fast responses. I can go to bed now knowing this is working tomorrow while I will be out and about.

I do agree that the button appears a bit hidden for new users.  I also was confused about if I could play anything through the browser and just accidentally hovered over that button and happened to click on it to see what it did.    I think it would help if when first logging in via web maybe it asks the user if you want to access content or admin console versus just having the inconspicuous MB icon.

sfnetwork

I do agree that the button appears a bit hidden for new users.  I also was confused about if I could play anything through the browser and just accidentally hovered over that button and happened to click on it to see what it did.    I think it would help if when first logging in via web maybe it asks the user if you want to access content or admin console versus just having the inconspicuous MB icon.

Well, I think it fits well the user permissions... In a multiple user environment, if a user doesn't have admin permissions, it will defaults to the collections screen if admin; dashboard...

I personally have an admin user and mine (as a regular). That solves everything and matches IMO how MB should be used. Just my opinion...