TCPWrapper out of no where.

cyphershadow
Go to solution Solved by cyphershadow,

cyphershadow

Afternoon all,

I have an unusual issue that just surfaced in the last couple days. 

Everything on my server was working fine, but all of a sudden this morning the Emby HTTPS port is showing as being tcpwrapped, and is blocking all connection attempts.  This is occurring on the internal network, and only for the Emby service.  No other services on the underlying QNAP are being affected.

No changes to the underlying QNAP TS-451 unit were made, and no changes to the Emby server were made within the last two weeks.

The problem persists only on the Emby HTTPS port, and the issue moves to any new HTTPS port that is designated, and persists full reboots of the server and the QNAP.  I even rolled the QNAP firmware back to the prior release that was confirmed working, and the issue is persisting.  This leads me to believe it may be an issue within the Emby server itself. 

Were any form of Access Control or tcpwrapping features recently integrated on the back end, and if so is there a way to whitelist?

I see in the server logs over the HTTP interface that Dlna, StudioImages, and Port Mapper were updated over the last couple of days, but the problem has remained even after rooming these plugins. So I'm scratching my head here.

Any thoughts?

cyphershadow

@@Luke,

No I moved them to 8999/TCP for HTTP and 9000/TCP for HTTPS, and issued a temp internal SSL cert from my internal CA for internal testing before opening it to the net. 

Everything has been working beautifully up until I noticed this issue this morning.  After initial setup and configuration, port scans were showing the port not wrapped and accepting connections with no issues, but something within the last 5-7 days has changed, and I'm not sure what it is.

If there's been no changes I may do a full reinstall to rule out an issue with Emby, and if that doesn't resolve the problem I will delve deeper into the QNAP side.  I initially thought the problem might have been with the QNAP internal connections whitelist, but I disabled that feature to confirm and the issue still remained.  The issue may be buried in the QNAP restrictive files, in which case this is just one more nail in the platforms coffin that's been nagging me to move to a new SANS/NAS solution.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Solution
cyphershadow

@@Luke,

Just an update, I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling with the 4.4.0.16 beta.  Still not sure what the initial cause though.

• Like 1