Chapter playback

Roland.Stranneborn

Roland.Stranneborn

Hi, as I understand it Emby supports Chapters using the "Thumbnail Extraction" setting at the Library level.

I made a test folder, with an MP4 that has 3 test chapters.  They show up when I use VLC, but I can't see any thumbnail images for any chapters when I look at the Library on a) PC, B) LG TV, or c) Android client.

Neither can I find a way to skip to the next chapter when I do play my home video. 

What I would like is to have my chapter names show up, then be able to select one of them when I do the playback, or to do it along the way when I play the video. I have attached files showing how it looks like in VLC, then the Library setup using thumbnail, then how it looks like on the PC client. This video is classified as a Home video.

post-377739-0-83245900-1582365262_thumb.jpg

post-377739-0-42998100-1582365276_thumb.jpg

post-377739-0-82627200-1582365586_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roland.Stranneborn

maegibbons

This may not be helpful but it certainly works on the Android TV app.

Use it all the time.

I will test on other apps later.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Roland.Stranneborn

This may not be helpful but it certainly works on the Android TV app.

Use it all the time.

I will test on other apps later.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Not sure if I missed something, but what is "this" referring to? Was there to be some attachment?

Hi.  What happens if you click on the image in your last screen shot?

You should get a detail page and that would show the chapters.

Roland.Stranneborn

Hi.  What happens if you click on the image in your last screen shot?

You should get a detail page and that would show the chapters.

Yes, I'm sorry, I should have included it, but unfortunately there are no chapters:

post-377739-0-99878700-1582389701_thumb.jpg

Okay, that either means the item hasn't had any images generated yet for its chapters or, perhaps, the web app doesn't show chapters for home video items...

Happy2Play

What server version is that as that setting screen is dated.

Just enable thumbs and refreshed a item in Home videos and chapters were presented.

• Like 1

Roland.Stranneborn

What server version is that as that setting screen is dated.

Just enable thumbs and refreshed a item in Home videos and chapters were presented.

It's version 4.3.1.0 on Synology, it says it's up to date.

I did enable Thumbs, I did refresh several times. No chapters.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

Unless there is a difference with the OS my setting look like this.

normal

5e51631a82abe_normal.jpg

enabled show advanced

5e51632bbb835_advanced.jpg

In my tests these options were enabled.

Happy2Play

Also have you checked your cache folder for thumbnail-failures.txt?  Cache location can be seen on the dashboard.

Roland.Stranneborn

OK, now it works after I turned on Advanced settings and set as below. My 3 test chapters show up. Btw, I don't know why my client looks different, as I mentioned  I have the latest Synology Emby server, client running Chrome 79.0.3945.130 on Win 10.0.17763. Thanks for all help!!

post-377739-0-56920200-1582449943_thumb.jpg

post-377739-0-26702400-1582449951_thumb.jpg

Roland.Stranneborn

Hi, what do you mean by client looks different?

I refer to Happy2Play's post #10 above.

Happy2Play

Hi, what do you mean by client looks different?

post-377739-0-42998100-1582365276.jpg

vs

5e51631a82abe_normal.jpg

With Show Advanced enabled they appear the same.

Happy2Play

OK, now it works after I turned on Advanced settings and set as below. My 3 test chapters show up. Btw, I don't know why my client looks different, as I mentioned  I have the latest Synology Emby server, client running Chrome 79.0.3945.130 on Win 10.0.17763. Thanks for all help!![/size]

What options did you change that they started working?

Roland.Stranneborn

What options did you change that they started working?

Turned on Advanced, then selected Thumbnail interval to Chapter Markers, then selected "Create thumbnail images during library scan"

Happy2Play

Hmm glad it is working now but it should have worked before when the "Thumbnail image extraction" take ran.

Unless there is a issue with interval images (bif files) in Home Videos library.  Guess I will have to test.

Edited by Happy2Play

Roland.Stranneborn

Hmm glad it is working now but it should have worked before when the "Thumbnail image extraction" take ran.

Unless there is a issue with interval images (bif files) in Home Videos library. Guess I will have to test.

But if I remember right, after I selected "Thumbnail Image Extraction" the option to "Create thumbnails during scan" was not turned on, I didn't even see it until i turned on Advanced.

Happy2Play

But if I remember right, after I selected "Thumbnail Image Extraction" the option to "Create thumbnails during scan" was not turned on, I didn't even see it until i turned on Advanced.

This just makes scans potentially longer.  "Thumbnail image extraction" is its own task the runs nightly on a time limit.

More then likely, the background scan just hadn't gotten to those items yet.  When you enabled the setting to run during the normal library scan, you probably also caused a refresh on the item you were interested in - which forced the images to be created at that time.

Roland.Stranneborn

So it's a little difficult to know what really happened, since I didn't know the first time that I'd have to wait until the nightly run had completed to see any chapters. But now when I look at that library I've found that Emby has created a bunch of 5 minute chapters, although I had specified "Chapter Markers" for just 2 of my videos, I didn't expect it to create 5-min chapters for the others. I find the whole setup dialog a little confusing. Some suggestions:

1) Change "Thumbnail Images" to "Thumbnail/Chapter Images"

2) If you click on the "Thumbnail/Chapter Images" why not show the "Thumbnail Images Interval" option without having to click the Advanced option at the top of the screen? 

3) If I have selected "Chapter Markers" as the interval for the Library, then do not create chapters for videos in that Library that don't have any Chapter Markers  

If I have selected "Chapter Markers" as the interval for the Library, then do not create chapters for videos in that Library that don't have any Chapter Markers  

Hi, thanks for the feedback, but this would have to be a separate option. In our experience most users like the auto-generated chapters because it gives them additional ways to jump around within the video.

Roland.Stranneborn

Hi, thanks for the feedback, but this would have to be a separate option. In our experience most users like the auto-generated chapters because it gives them additional ways to jump around within the video.

Ok, but how come the options are 5, 10 etc seconds, but the default is 5min, don't think I even saw that as en option.

Ok, but how come the options are 5, 10 etc seconds, but the default is 5min, don't think I even saw that as en option.

Because chapters and thumbnail images are two completely separate things.  It just so happens that one of the options for how often to create thumbnail images is "on the chapter points".