Help me pair a GTX1660 to a CPU/RAM/MOBO

AviatorBimmer

Happy2Play

Yes, but there are cases in some clients if the stream is not closed properly it continues to fill the folder.  I think all client/apps have a "Enable 'Are You Still Watching?' prompt" option of some sort.

AviatorBimmer

Yes, but there are cases in some clients if the stream is not closed properly it continues to fill the folder.  I think all client/apps have a "Enable 'Are You Still Watching?' prompt" option of some sort.

@@Happy2Play

Yea, I remember seeing that. So it's recommended to always leave that enabled, in order to be able to close out "stalled out" clients?

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

Yea, I remember seeing that. So it's recommended to always leave that enabled, in order to be able to close out "stalled out" clients?

In theory yes, but I am not a LiveTV user.  Just going of posts on the forum. 

I know it is mention somewhere but not  sure of how long before this prompt happen though.  As for always enabled, it may be a matter of how long you watch LiveTV if the prompt gets annoying.

AviatorBimmer

In theory yes, but I am not a LiveTV user. Just going of posts on the forum.

I know it is mention somewhere but not sure of how long before this prompt happen though. As for always enabled, it may be a matter of how long you watch LiveTV if the prompt gets annoying.

I usually disable it right away. I guess I'll experiment on my account and enable it to see how often it pops up, before I enable it on my family members. They can nag more than anything. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

BTW, I noticed that when playing a Live TV stream, the transcode drive starts filling up with videos of the live feed.

Yeah, that's why I suggested using the 500GB drive. A lot of apps/devices won't play live tv directly. It will either be direct streamed or fully transcoded. Both will be stored in the transcode path. 

• Like 1

AviatorBimmer

Yeah, that's why I suggested using the 500GB drive. A lot of apps/devices won't play live tv directly. It will either be direct streamed or fully transcoded. Both will be stored in the transcode path.

I have 4 Live TV streams going on right now. 3 are direct streaming and 1 is direct playing. Server is running very good!

CPU usage is currently around 1-2%

=)

• Like 1

AviatorBimmer

What hardware did you end you getting? Didn't see it.

@@lightsout

Hey bud, I ended up with the following...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200Mhz

GPU: Zotac GTX 1660 6GB

Drives: (2) WD Black 250GB NVMe, (1) Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

• Like 1

Sorry didn't see your post yesterday but it looks like you have it worked out with @ ' suggestions.

Might want to look into @@chef 's drivespace plugin.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AviatorBimmer

Looks like a pretty sweet setup. Congrats.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with their great advice! It's been 7 years since my last build and boy have things changed! Also my first AMD build in decades!

Sorry didn't see your post yesterday but it looks like you have it worked out with @ ' suggestions.

Might want to look into @@chef 's drivespace plugin.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yup, just installed it and very convenient! Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
skljoc

@@lightsout

Hey bud, I ended up with the following...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200Mhz

GPU: Zotac GTX 1660 6GB

Drives: (2) WD Black 250GB NVMe, (1) Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

I was just reading this post because I am researching for a emby server build. Just one thing that kept bugging me. I think that x570 chipset motherboard is overkil for this type of machine. You could get a much cheaper B450 board, that support the CPU and the GPU, 2x M2 slots. 

Btw, I am doing almost the same build as a server + getting a nas for the media library. I was wondering how should I connect them tho, do I need the Emby app on the NAS storage or should I configure that on the Emby Windows Server with a path to the NAS library folder?

Thanks!

lightsout

I was just reading this post because I am researching for a emby server build. Just one thing that kept bugging me. I think that x570 chipset motherboard is overkil for this type of machine. You could get a much cheaper B450 board, that support the CPU and the GPU, 2x M2 slots. 

Btw, I am doing almost the same build as a server + getting a nas for the media library. I was wondering how should I connect them tho, do I need the Emby app on the NAS storage or should I configure that on the Emby Windows Server with a path to the NAS library folder?

Thanks!

I agree, x570 not really necessary for most builds. But if you got the money.

As far as the build you would want Emby to run on the windows machine, to take advantage of whatever hardware you end up buying, then just add the network paths from the NAS to your library in the server.

But unless you have a specific reason why not just fill the windows machine full of drives. Surely it would be quite a cost savings vs building an entire rig and buying a NAS.

skljoc

I agree, x570 not really necessary for most builds. But if you got the money.

As far as the build you would want Emby to run on the windows machine, to take advantage of whatever hardware you end up buying, then just add the network paths from the NAS to your library in the server.

But unless you have a specific reason why not just fill the windows machine full of drives. Surely it would be quite a cost savings vs building an entire rig and buying a NAS.

To be honest, I don't have any major reason to get the NAS. However, I might find the NAS useful to store other data, such as family pictures, computer backups, and other data as well.

lightsout

To be honest, I don't have any major reason to get the NAS. However, I might find the NAS useful to store other data, such as family pictures, computer backups, and other data as well.

Well that was basically my point. I would think you would be able to do most of the things you want to do with the NAS with the windows machine. Again unless you have some special usage where the NAS is needed.