Creating Library but no items being shown?

Phone Guy

Phone Guy

Server 4.3.10 windows.

Trying to create a library of tv shows, using multiple folders but in clients says no items in said library.

I am only using emby on my LAN, using wmc client (though i get same no items in library on windows browser client and samsung tv clients)

I have tried refresh library, no joy.

All folders are local folders on server machine (win7 wmc)

if any additional info needed, let me know.

Hi there, what types of libraries did you create? How many libraries? Did you try clicking the button to scan all libraries?

Phone Guy

@@ebr....why can you not have multiple librarys pointed to the same folder?

so if I have a library call ALL TV SHOWS, obviously with all my tv shows.. I cant create another library called FAV TV or COMEDY TV and point to a select few folders already in ALL TV?

@@Luke...I have many librarys already, and I usually created newer library as a way of organizing mostly newer tv shows to use random play etc... I tried creating different types library (mixed/tv/movies) sometimes I create a library and the contents will show up, other times a newly created library will be empty even tho there are several folder links inside...? now most of the time these ARE folders already in other librarys.... other times lib might not show folder items if entry is for specific season. so if I have a folder with "ZZZ show" and "season 01" "season 02" "season 03" inside ZZZ show folder, and I point new library to "e:\ZZZ show\season 03" that entry wont show any results (even tho there is content in that folder). BUT if I point to "e:\ZZZ show" then I see all 3 seasons in that library instead of only season 3 like i wanted.

I have tried refresh all libs, and only refresh newly created libs, and still new lib with 15 folders will show no items. (yes some folders will be folders in other libs)

Edited by Phone Guy

why can you not have multiple librarys pointed to the same folder?

it's something we'd like to be able to accommodate, but we're not quite there yet.

pwhodges

@@ebrso if I have a library call ALL TV SHOWS, obviously with all my tv shows.. I cant create another library called FAV TV or COMEDY TV and point to a select few folders already in ALL TV?

What you could do is split the main library entirely into subfolders (i.e. have a subfolder called "TheRest" or something for the ones not in the other subfolders.  Then you can link your main library to all the subfolders (but not the folder containing them), while having separate libraries containing just one subfolder each.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

So is that the final answer? just cant be done at this time?

It isn't the *final* answer but it cannot be done at this time and sounds like this is the root of your problem.

What you could do is split the main library entirely into subfolders (i.e. have a subfolder called "TheRest" or something for the ones not in the other subfolders.  Then you can link your main library to all the subfolders (but not the folder containing them), while having separate libraries containing just one subfolder each.

This still won't work as it creates multiple libraries pointing to the same place still.

pwhodges

I stand corrected - I thought I found a place where it had been suggested.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

EDIT:

Ah, here it is.  I must have misunderstood this:

you cannot have a library that points to a folder that is nested within a folder of a separate library.

But, you ARE able to point libraries to identical folders; just make sure that none are nested within.

Edited by pwhodges

I stand corrected - I thought I found a place where it had been suggested.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

EDIT:

Ah, here it is.  I must have misunderstood this:

Okay, well that's not officially supported either at this time so may or may not work.

• 1 month later...
DarkVixen

Came here because I am adding a library and no items are showing, not the same problem as the OP because its a completely new folder and I just wanted to say to this poster's dilemma why not sort your various shows in collections that's what I do since I have many much older tv shows and I kind of like to hide them err a bit embarrassed I guess but it makes my library pretty easy to navigate just sorting them by collections underneath the various types of media.

Came here because I am adding a library and no items are showing, not the same problem as the OP because its a completely new folder and I just wanted to say to this poster's dilemma why not sort your various shows in collections that's what I do since I have many much older tv shows and I kind of like to hide them err a bit embarrassed I guess but it makes my library pretty easy to navigate just sorting them by collections underneath the various types of media.

Hi there, did you wait for the library scan to finish after adding the new library?

DarkVixen

Hi there, did you wait for the library scan to finish after adding the new library?

I'm sort of migrating I guess you'd call it, a previously up and running emby server setup, so some things might actually be still updating in scans and I guess that's delaying adding a new library. I really wish there was a faster way to migrate to a new server location but oh well this is the way for now so patience is my only down fall I guess.

Just an after thought two questions @@Happy2Play...... is there a way to make sure libraries are scanned first for local assets and then after check online for remote assets?.......I have a feeling this is the delay because right now I have it running off a spare mobile phone for data and it is well a spare phone with slow data so could that delay library scans even if I have all the local assets (by local I mean local, no path in nfo file just ex. poster.jpg) in each folder for each movie and show or is this just the nature of building the database that it takes a while?

Edited by Luke

Happy2Play

I'm sort of migrating I guess you'd call it, a previously up and running emby server setup, so some things might actually be still updating in scans and I guess that's delaying adding a new library. I really wish there was a faster way to migrate to a new server location but oh well this is the way for now so patience is my only down fall I guess.

Just an after thought two questions @@Happy2Play...... is there a way to make sure libraries are scanned first for local assets and then after check online for remote assets?.......I have a feeling this is the delay because right now I have it running off a spare mobile phone for data and it is well a spare phone with slow data so could that delay library scans even if I have all the local assets (by local I mean local, no path in nfo file just ex. poster.jpg) in each folder for each movie and show or is this just the nature of building the database that it takes a while?

Emby will use local nfo and images before it looks online.