Emby Nvidia Shield Now Transcoding TV Instead of Direct Play

neush1

I'm using Emby to record OTA TV from my HDHomerun tuner to my Linux server. This was working perfectly until a few weeks ago. Since then we are often running into situations where upon playing back a recorded .ts file the TV show will be transcoded instead of directly streamed. This leads to audio sync errors and generally poor performance. We're streaming to an Nvidia Shield TV appliance and these are (should be) standard .ts files that were recorded with Emby. We're not trying to play them live, only after they have finished recording.

The logs list the reason for transcoding as "Container Not Supported". No hardware has been changed. Any ideas why this would be broken all of a sudden?

maegibbons

Hi

So please post your ffmpeg/remux logs of these .ts files playing.

Are you on beta or stable of the Shield app. A lot of work is being done currently on allowing .ts files to play direct on Android TV.

Up until recent betas the .ts files ALWAYS used to have to remux to make the media seekable. But a transcode is unusual.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons

Hi.  Up until the current beta release, .ts files would remux when played back on the Shield in order to allow you to seek them.  Transport Streams are not designed to be seekable.

So nothing is broken or has changed recently if you are on the release version of the app.  The next version may allow you to direct play these recordings, however.

Hi.  Up until the current beta release, .ts files would remux when played back on the Shield in order to allow you to seek them.  Transport Streams are not designed to be seekable.

So nothing is broken or has changed recently if you are on the release version of the app.  The next version may allow you to direct play these recordings, however.

Thanks @@ebr. So maybe the real issue is that now we're noticing this because of audio sync issues for some reason? We are now consistently getting shows where video is out of sync with the audio by 2 seconds or more. I thought this was tied to a failure to direct stream but if transcoding has been happening behind the scenes maybe something has changed that is causing the stream to be out of sync with the audio.

Bumping this to see if there's a way to address the underlying issue. Prior to a few weeks ago all of our television shows recorded through Emby would play fine. Since that time all of our recorded TV (not live) has audio sync errors that seem to worsen the farther into a show we get and the more we skip forward/backward through commercials. I now understand that transcoding has been the default behavior for the playback of these .ts files all along but the behavior of the audio getting out of sync is new and incredibly frustrating. Since I'm able to play these .ts files in MPV directly (on another machine) and seek backward and forward without issue there must be something else at work here. What can I do or provide to help address this issue?

Thanks!

Yes, please provide those details.  They are not necessarily transcoding - in fact, my suspicion is that they are NOT transcoding and, if they were, these issues may not occur.

Try forcing them to transcode with the "Playback Correction" option during playback and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks.

Q-Droid

When was the last time you unplugged your Shield from power? I found that I have to do so occasionally to correct odd playback issues. Reboot doesn't always fix it. I haven't found the root cause yet.

• Like 1

GavinAshford

Do I understand it correctly that there has been a change to the handling of recordings?

I'm finding recordings are no-longer seekable and also resuming a part watched recording (which shows the part watched status correctly) then restarts from the beginning again.

Is this the expected result of the change to the handling?

maegibbons

Do I understand it correctly that there has been a change to the handling of recordings?

I'm finding recordings are no-longer seekable and also resuming a part watched recording (which shows the part watched status correctly) then restarts from the beginning again.

No. It is not expected behaviour. Firstly are you on beta or stable of both server and app? On stable nothing has been changed. On beta a lot has changed to try and improve the direct playback of .ts files and allow them to be seekable without a container swap.

In either case submit your remux/transcode logs and send in app logs when you are having a seek issue.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons

Hi.  What version of the app are you running?

GavinAshford

My server is v4.3.1.0 (I think that's stable).

In the Play Store I can see I'm enrolled in the 'Emby for Android, Beta channel and on my phone I have v3.1.00 - I don't think I realised I was still in the beta channel - I think I joined to alleviate some Bluetooth audio sync issues before the fix went stable.

I don't have access to my Shield right now (where we're seeing the recordings not be seekable). I don't know if being in the Emby for Android beta channel would mean that the shield also gets the Beta (or is there and Emby for Android TV separate release?)

My server is v4.3.1.0 (I think that's stable).

In the Play Store I can see I'm enrolled in the 'Emby for Android, Beta channel and on my phone I have v3.1.00 - I don't think I realised I was still in the beta channel - I think I joined to alleviate some Bluetooth audio sync issues before the fix went stable.

I don't have access to my Shield right now (where we're seeing the recordings not be seekable). I don't know if being in the Emby for Android beta channel would mean that the shield also gets the Beta (or is there and Emby for Android TV separate release?)

More than likely (based on what you are reporting) you are also in the Android TV beta.  You should probably opt out of that if that was not intended.

Thanks.

• Like 1

GavinAshford

I was in the beta for Android TV and Shield was reporting version 1.7.87g - I've since unenrolled.

I haven't (yet) re-installed the non-beta app but based on your comments I expect that to bring back the recording seeking/resume functionality.

Thanks