Problems with long-GOP files

crusher11

crusher11

I have a few video files where M=3 and N=26, and they play black with giant grey blotches all over the screen, as though the I-frames are missing entirely. This never resolves itself, it's not just a matter of getting past the first second or two.

If I force a transcode, they play fine.

Hi, unfortunately the reality is, it's the LG-built video player, there's not much we can do about it, other than perhaps detect it and automatically force a transcode.

crusher11

Well yeah, that's the solution I was anticipating. Resolves the issue for people who wouldn't think of forcing a transcode themselves, and makes life easier for me because I don't have to keep changing the quality settings.

It's at least better than the last problem format I found, which doesn't even play back at all so it's even more difficult to work around, but both types really should require a transcode on LG. @@SamES

I have a few video files where M=3 and N=26, and they play black with giant grey blotches all over the screen, as though the I-frames are missing entirely. 

Unless @@Luke has some ideas, I'm not sure that this is something we can easily detect and force Transcode on.

Edited by SamES

crusher11

Has the other issue (was it interlaced VC1?) been resolved?

When are we going to see an update? Still waiting on the update that doesn't show the OSD at the start of playback, which is already present on most other devices.

Has the other issue (was it interlaced VC1?) been resolved?

I've looked at it, just need to work out out the right solution.

Edited by SamES

How do you mean?

Sorry, different issue.

Interlaced vc1 fix still with Luke for review

crusher11

So presumably rectified in the next update then?

At least with the long GOP files I can use the OSD to switch quality, with interlaced VC1 I'd need to change it before even trying playback, which is an extra pain.

Why would long GOP be any harder to identify?

So presumably rectified in the next update then?

I hope so

Why would long GOP be any harder to identify?

Not every codec parameter is stored in the library scan and used for playback decisions.  GOP is one parameter which I don't believe is stored

Edited by SamES