Direct Play and Transcoding Issues.

Ruttus

I have now completed moving my server from my NAS to a pc that is way more powerful. maybe more power than I need. My only issues no is when stream. I mostly do it remotely. but I have buffering issues that's very annoying sometimes unwatchable. I have put transcoding to the max. But some media plays directly and not transcoded. These direct play buffers alot. And no matter what settings u select or auto for streaming nothing changes quality wise and still shows directly. this happens alot with my iphone. Is there a way to make everything transcode the cpu and GPU is fast. Or what settings I can do to make this work seamlessly and flawlessly. I have the bandwidth because I have streamed 1080p 60mb remotely and works well. But I guess only if transcoding applies. Any way I can make this all works well?

Happy2Play

I have now completed moving my server from my NAS to a pc that is way more powerful. maybe more power than I need. My only issues no is when stream. I mostly do it remotely. but I have buffering issues that's very annoying sometimes unwatchable. I have put transcoding to the max. But some media plays directly and not transcoded. These direct play buffers alot. And no matter what settings u select or auto for streaming nothing changes quality wise and still shows directly. this happens alot with my iphone. Is there a way to make everything transcode the cpu and GPU is fast. Or what settings I can do to make this work seamlessly and flawlessly. I have the bandwidth because I have streamed 1080p 60mb remotely and works well. But I guess only if transcoding applies. Any way I can make this all works well?

This would suggest the media is playing on a connection that can not handle the bitrate.  Auto has its own issues in several topics.  If you lowered the in app quality it transcodes and play fine, correct?

If it transcode yes it plays properly but sometimes u change the in app and it doesn't transcode at all it start at one quality and still shows as direct.

But if the server has a 100MB/100MB link it cant handle that bitrate?

Happy2Play

If it transcode yes it plays properly but sometimes u change the in app and it doesn't transcode at all it start at one quality and still shows as direct.

But if the server has a 100MB/100MB link it cant handle that bitrate?

One a local network i would say you should be able to direct play almost anything, but from a mobile network (iPhone) you will not.  I know I get between 1Mbps and about 9Mbps on my mobile data.

As for a item not transcoding you would have to go over a specific example.

What connection is the client/app using, LAN or WAN?

The client is actually me. I leave the server at another location since the upload speed is over 100Mbps. At home I have 60Mbps. So when I'm watching and some times I see the contents on direct play and it buffers like crazy. I cant watch that :( . Other times it transcode and never buffers. sometimes no matter what playback settings you use the server still gives you direct play and full HD. Is there a way to force transcoding rather than getting direct play?

The client is actually me. I leave the server at another location since the upload speed is over 100Mbps. At home I have 60Mbps. So when I'm watching and some times I see the contents on direct play and it buffers like crazy. I cant watch that :( . Other times it transcode and never buffers. sometimes no matter what playback settings you use the server still gives you direct play and full HD. Is there a way to force transcoding rather than getting direct play?

That sounds like varying network conditions.

Try using the "auto" setting for quality in the app you are using.  If you already are, then try setting a bitrate of like 10Mb/s.

These I screenshot from my iPhone so you see the same content playing but via browsers it transcode and casting it direct play. Same with the app. When direct it lags like crazy. Android and iOS. But it’s not always but it happens a lot. And it’s not just me experiencing this. I will get the logs.

post-581994-0-77889000-1582762147_thumb.png

post-581994-0-96163900-1582762170_thumb.png

post-581994-0-46050600-1582762361_thumb.png

happy and luke i sent you the logs for the server via PM.

attached is the current speed the server has and at home is 60megs down and 5 megs up(not attached).

post-581994-0-31843600-1582765229_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

Speed test are good but they are not a good representation of the your connection to that server.  I have a online server with a gigabit connection and a home connection with 100Mb download, but I can never get that download speed from my online server.  I am lucky to get about half my home download speed.

Potential latency in the hops between server and client.  There are really to many variables.  Are you using Auto or setting a quality?

If it lags try lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server will transcode it to a lower bitrate.

That's the issue I'm having. When I lower the quality the server dont transcode it still send direct. So the quality is full blown 1080p even though I ask for 480p or 720p at 1mb.

As u can see here. I turn down the quality but the sever most times just give me the direct play. So I was wondering if there was a way to force it transcode files rather than direct.

post-581994-0-18733500-1582807610_thumb.jpg

Have you done anything with your configuration that would make your phone think the server is local?

As a test, what happens if you change the Home Quality to 1mb/s too?

Have you done anything with your configuration that would make your phone think the server is local?

As a test, what happens if you change the Home Quality to 1mb/s too?

ok let me try this and no i didnt change anything on the phone, i dont have vpn tunnel either runing between locations, now any public ip entered in the phone for direct (if that makes sense).

Ok what settings you recommend? I didnt put any limit or anything. Also this is the windows server. I just migrated from the synology server. But even though the synology server was slower It transcoded.

I'm referring to the Network section in server settings, which ties in with Ebr's question:

I'm referring to the Network section in server settings, which ties in with Ebr's question:

ok i made some changes with transcoding last night and so far its working, so not sure why but i will share the settings.

post-581994-0-31193100-1582989283_thumb.png

post-581994-0-02755400-1582989289_thumb.png

post-581994-0-28848800-1582989295_thumb.png

post-581994-0-52645600-1582989300_thumb.png