New Plugin: Smart Playlists

saladin

Arskin
On 6/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, Arskin said:

I have it installed OK (Linux server), and created a couple of simple play lists for testing under Advanced Settings > Plugins > Smartplayli

I was expecting to see them listed in "Playlists" on the front end, but they don't. Nor do they appear in a search.

All good. Today they magically appeared. Looks like, much like Jellyfin, Emby has to think about things for awhile 😉

amb13

I tried installing this on both my linux server and a fresh windows server.

On my windows server everything is fine. I can create new playlists and everything seems to work.

On my linux server I can get the plugin installed, but when i click the "add new samrtplaylist" button nothing happens. I've given the plugin the right permissions with chmod. It just seems strange I don't get the popup to make a playlist.

I've also tried adding other plugins to the linux server and they seem to work fine.

Edited by amb13

• 2 months later...
jokerjack

Thanks for this plugin i am hoping this will allow me to create a collection for films that have TureHD for the audio codec.  Is this possible?

• 1 month later...

I've installed this trying to do what I think would be simple but I'm not getting the results I'd want and it does take a long time in Live mode.

How would you create a playlist for an actor such as Harrison Ford (likely only movies) or Kevin Costner (movies and shows)? Those would be separate playlist, one per actor.

Same thing for Directors such as Tony Scott which also didn't work for me.

Edited by cayars

Happy2Play
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

Same thing for Directors such as Tony Scott which also didn't work for me.

What have you done?  A quick test with this returned all directed item for Tony Scott on my test system.

director.thumb.jpg.04ccd83feeeadedf8a65f79794dffec0.jpg

Pretty much the same for actor, you can add Media type filter

actor.thumb.jpg.395922ce3b3bfbd0fc6080c2753e11c9.jpg

kc.thumb.jpg.4ec71fde812e66d3d3484b3a5da5557e.jpg

PenkethBoy

Note: under certain conditions this plugin pulls back huge amounts of data - which might be what you are seeing as slowness - in 100000 row chunks! To avoid this keep the queries as simple as possible

I tend to not do LIVE - but daily/weeklyshuffle - as its unlikely you will add movies of an actor that often

and if you need it to update "now" just go in an edit the SP but just save it - it will update at that point

The way H2P has done the queries is how i would have done them as well 

Thanks Happy2Play & PenkethBoy.  I'll show my results below.

I've got 16 movies directed by Tony Scott which show up in a normal system search including such movies as Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Crimson Tide.

Tony Scott setup like this

pl1.thumb.png.a2823a44e4886f3f51c8fdae9d2b7ef5.png

Produces this:

pl2.thumb.png.b4c2f3b1aca8792369cb28d5532a2172.png

Harrison Ford setup like this:

pl3.thumb.png.65d45829f28dbdd5921279922229da7f.png

Produced no playlist at all.  If I search for "Harrison Ford" on my system I get back 2 people.  One has 1 movie and then the other has 51 movies.

Kevin Costner setup like this:

pl5.thumb.png.5b57bae1217defb009fc238386d3d876.png

Produced this:

pl6.thumb.png.07ab9076aee0bf94e6ed122608653feb.png

Searching my system for Kevin Costner returns 49 Movies and 2 TV Shows

Any ideas?

BTW, I just rebuilt this system and created the library 2 days ago using only beta .29 build for a fresh/clean start to see how people are loaded now.

2 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

change the update to something other than Live and save does that fix it

I tried manual as well after the post a bit ago with no change in outcome.

Could it be multi-versions of movies that could be throwing things off?

PenkethBoy

1761283952_Annotation2020-09-20112010.thumb.jpg.236832769be269a1d58f4ca12d610476.jpg

did it twice - only have three KC movies

more like this is a dup i created

i used shuffleweekly - not live etc

this is with 1.3.0.0 and .29 server

dont have any multi version part movies

if a scan is running emby wont see the new playlist - also you have got RTM enabled on the PL library - as i think its not on by default .....

Edited by PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

after you hit save - go look in the playlist folder and see if it got created and if the xml looks ok etc

.30 beta Server

RTM is OFF for playlists

I deleted the playlists in the Playlist lib and verified these were removed on disc.

I switched my 3 test smart playlist to shuffleweekly as a test.

I open all three and save them.  At this point no playlists have been created on disc.

In browser I go to the home screen for a long spinning icon session.

Entering playlists after a delay creates 2 of the 3 playlists with the same results.

A thought.  Some movies could be from STRM files and may not have full metadata for the file itself.

However the cast lists are all metadata related and are in the DB as I can search for them in the system.

PenkethBoy

as noted before the plugin can be a db hog - so try something simple - like a music artist that wont be strm

which i doubt matters

turn on rtm for the pl lib so they are seen quickly

just did chris evans - took 4-5 secs to appear in playlist folder - thats 12 movies - appear when i went into pl library after seeing the folder created

I think the wait you see is related to content volume in your db and how the plugin gets that data (does it in a very bad way as noted earlier in this thread)

Just tested with .30 and for me it works fine .....

I just tried Chris Evans who I have in 2 shows and 37 movies and it didn't even create the playlist.

This is on my test system which is smaller than my live system.

I can zip up the library.db if anyone wants to try/test with my library contents.

Of course but nothing there to see.

I did just try this on another test system with only around 12K movies and it found many, but never all the movies.  So I think the issue is size of the DB and the plugin not handling these type sizes correctly.  However I'd double check your own results to see if you have anything like the following incomplete results.

All limited to Movie type:

29 of 37 Chris Evans

42 of 49 Christopher Lee

27 of 39 Dennis Hopper

54 of 58 Donald Sutherland

21 of 23 Ernest Borgnine

16 of 18 Ernie Hudson

20 of 24 George Kennedy

34 of 39 James Earl Jones

27 of 31 Jodie Foster (edit spelled her name wrong and fixed it)

56 of 61 John Cusack

47 of 51 John Malkovich

41 of 48 Keanu Reeves

13 of 14 Louis Gossett Jr.

25 of 26 Robert Loggia

22 of 28 Sandra Bullock

35 of 43 Tom Cruise 

43 of 56 Tom Hanks

22 of 29 Wesley Snipes

Edited by cayars

PenkethBoy

well - not getting any issues my end numbers match detail screen for actor - but...

only have 550 total movies and 220 shows so dont get the high figures you do - also only takes a few seconds to create the PL (getting the data from the db) - by the time i have navigated back to the PL library from the plugin page - the PL is there

But one thing to note - if the actor for a show is only at the show level then nothing will "show" as that is not "media" needs to be at episode level

Also (Tom Hanks) is for some episodes (Band of Brothers) the director not the actor so wont show as an actor....

Yes I understand this will only be as good as the stored metadata. 

I backup up my test library.db and killed off some directories and got it down to around 7K movies.  All but the John Cusack playlist came out correct so while I didn't test specifically would think this should work well for libs up to around 6K movies. It was a lot faster with 6K movies than 12K.  On my production system most of these don't even get created so I think size is the issue due to the way the info is being generated.

My test system is about 12K movies and 750 TV shows with maybe 35K episodes. I try to keep that system on the high end of what most users may get to as a "big" system. My personal Emby system is likely 10 times bigger from the standpoind of database entries and video files.

PenkethBoy

Its a pity the dev for this vanished as if we had the code we could correct the sql queries to be more efficient and then we would not need this functionality in emby

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

Its a pity the dev for this vanished as if we had the code we could correct the sql queries to be more efficient and then we would not need this functionality in emby

Isn't this it v1.3.0.0?

https://github.com/ppankiewicz/Emby.SmartPlaylist.Plugin

PenkethBoy

yes looks like it - good find - maybe when i looked before i just missed it

Now we need to have a look and see what needs amending.....

11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

That's the version I'm running based on post one.  I'm running .30 beta server.

11 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Agree. I may take a look at this (source in op post) and get into the Emby plugin game.  I kind of wanted to be "retired" from dev work but when it's something you personally want/like...

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

PenkethBoy

i've kept away from plugins - stayed with scripts - as dont need all the overhead of VS etc etc

but this is well written as far as i can see - so in a couple of weeks when things calm down i might dip my toe into this

But i am sure you will have it all sorted by then :)

• 2 weeks later...
fbrassin

Is there the possibility with this plugin to make a playlist with, for example, the movies of IMDB top250 or other lists?