New Plugin: Smart Playlists

saladin

Dibbes

might be worth asking the smPL dev to add the option to filter by emby library - as that way you could specify your music library rather than "just" audio

@@saladin Dev?  :)

saladin

the initial task when a list is created or updated, takes a long time and a lot of resources (depending on the criteria). I would really be nice to see what it's doing then...

We need to investigate this -> when I add some logs to plugin I will ask you for some tests.

Yup, you called it.  That's what I did wrong.  Once I put 0.9.1.0 in the plugin worked.  Beautiful!

One suggestion - I'd like to be able to reference other playlists.  I used this method in MediaMonkey to build a weighted random playlist.  Have separate playlists to return a limited quantity of random episodes/tracks/movies at a specific rating, and then one master playlist that merges a random selection of the rating playlists.  Is something like this possible in your plugin?

If you want something like this -> limited playlist with 1/3 o each type(episodes/track/movie) with specific rating for this types -> not possible.

But If you want this -> limited playlist with random(or none) count of each type with specific rating for this types -> possible.

Just noticed that when create a list with the filter "Played" is "False", that this is the watched status for the account that created the list. If another account runs that list, it shows watched items anyway...

This make sense for me -> this is user context action.

Yes, that's why i already suggested to give us an option to choose the user account that is used for the "Played" rules and sort options.

Could you give some real world example when such feature make sense? -> you want to separate admin and no-admin user responsibility?

Question - if you delete a playlist from the plugin config screen - should it delete the playlist from Emby?

Currently it does not - should it?

Or could the plugin ask if you want to delete the Playlist as well?

By design there is no implementation to delete playlist, but this is easy to change. I will think about "ask dialogbox" in later releases. 

Agreed, but since most aren't downloaded, it does some strange things with duration...

5e5d3f48eeb27_Untitled3.png

I will add another criteria to filter by online/offline content and change MediType criteria values to: Music/Music Video/Tv Show/Movie/Podcast/Audiobook.

might be worth asking the smPL dev to add the option to filter by emby library - as that way you could specify your music library rather than "just" audio

Filter by library also make sense -> I will add this in next release.

Edited by saladin
  • Like 4

Dibbes

We need to investigate this -> when I add some logs to plugin I ask you for some tests.

Yes, sure... Just let me know what you need...

This make sense for me -> this is user context action.

You mean it makes sense the way it works now or it makes sense to have this work on a per user basis?

I will add another criteria to filter by online/offline content and change MediType criteria values to: Music/Music Video/Tv Show/Movie/Podcast/Audiobook.

Filter by library also make sense -> I will add this in next release.

I've just uninstalled the PodCast plugin and will see how this goes... since the server needs to remove a whole bunch first and my library scans take very long, I'll let you know later...

saladin

You mean it makes sense the way it works now or it makes sense to have this work on a per user basis?

It makes sense to have this work on a per user basis. Default shared playlists by all users is issue here -> no matter if created manually or by plugin. As far as I known this will be changed in the future releases of emby server.

• Like 1

pünktchen

Yes, that's why i already suggested to give us an option to choose the user account that is used for the "Played" rules and sort options.

Could you give some real world example when such feature make sense? -> you want to separate admin and no-admin user responsibility?

Of course i want to seperate admins from non-admin users! Example:

I have multiple movie libraries and to simplify things i want to create a playlist for my mom, that holds movies from all libraries, only with specific genres, sorted by date added ascending and played is false.

If my mom now looks at the playlist result, she asks me why are there all those movies that she has already watched? That's because the watched state is taken from me as the playlist creator and i never watch those romantic movies! And for sure i will not give my mom admin rights!!!

It makes sense to have this work on a per user basis. Default shared playlists by all users is issue here -> no matter if created manually or by plugin. As far as I known this will be changed in the future releases of emby server.

I wouldn't wait for this. The future in Emby could be next week or in two years like it is with live tv channel management. Please give us an option to choose the user of the playlist.

The playlist access in the playlist library after creation can be controled by defining "Tags" for the playlists and block those tags under parental control in the user settings.

Dibbes

I wouldn't wait for this. The future in Emby could be next week or in two years like it is with live tv channel management. Please give us an option to choose the user of the playlist.

The playlist access in the playlist library after creation can be controled by defining "Tags" for the playlists and block those tags under parental control in the user settings.

Though I agree with the sentiment, this seems like a limited workaround to me. What if I want to share a list with 3 different users? Unless I create 3 identical playlists with only a different "Used by", 1 user will have the right list and the other 2 will still have the issue... and creating multiple identical lists of various things, is fairly resource intensive, I've found...

saladin

Your query says -> find me star trek tv series or star trek movies or items with runtime greather than 30 min.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

pünktchen

Though I agree with the sentiment, this seems like a limited workaround to me. What if I want to share a list with 3 different users? Unless I create 3 identical playlists with only a different "Used by", 1 user will have the right list and the other 2 will still have the issue... and creating multiple identical lists of various things, is fairly resource intensive, I've found...

But now you get a list that is correct only for one single user - you the creator, the admin. The list is false for every other user!

My proposed option will not change this behaviour for you. You will be still able to choose yourself as the user for querying the play state.

Dibbes

Your query says -> find me star trek tv series or star trek movies or items with runtime greather than 30 min.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

then I don't understand your use of any, all and the indentations... I need: Find me Star Trek TV series longer than 30min or star trek movies

pünktchen

then I don't understand your use of any, all and the indentations... I need: Find me Star Trek TV series longer than 30min or star trek movies

Try this one. Untested!

5e5e77449f118_playlist.png

• Like 1

saladin

Find me: Star Trek TV series longer than 30min or star trek movies -> (star trek tv series AND longer than 30min) OR (start trek movie) -> replace AND to All, OR to Any ->

5e5e8f0b21713_Capture.png

Try this one. Untested!

This is also incorrect -> this says -> find me star trek tv series or star trek movies or any episode(not only start trek) longer than 30 mins -> (start trek tv series OR star trek movies OR (some episode AND longer than 30mins) ).

indentation is important. Criteria editor represent tree structure.

In next version I will add label after groups dropdowns -> All/Any  "of the following rules:"  

Same query as above but using two groups ->

5e5e984bdd449_Captu.png

Edited by saladin

Dibbes

Ok, I think I've understood it now... though I'm going to have to play a little more with this... Have not really been able to because the memory issue I've been experiencing.

I mentioned this in another thread, the removal of the podcast plugin (and of course the actual podcasts) resolved the memory issues up to a point. It seems I won't be able to set the mediatype to audio with podcasts enabled. I had already removed my audiobooks to try to get the database down to a more manageable proportion (which is still well over 1.5 GB after vacuuming), otherwise this issue might have become apparent sooner...

Edited by Dibbes

CarlosLima

Is it possible to create a smart playlist to filter films by country?
I've tried to understand that and I can't see why Emby doesn't have a field to keep the country where the film was produced. It seems useful and quite simple to obtain.
Thanks

computerprep

What we need to properly control this the way everyone wants is better user-owner/user-access capabilities on playlists.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60826-public-and-private-playlists

If Emby tracked playlists along with which user owns it and which users have access, then any user can create playlists and grant other users access to view and/or edit them. Once this capability is built, then Smart Playlists would be able tie into that to set the owner and access level when editing the playlist rules.

computerprep

Playing/testing this plugin... created a playlist to show movies containing "Harry Potter" in the name, but only 4/9 movies show up in the playlist (8 feature films plus 1 documentary). Also for some feedback, allowing a regex match would be great for advanced users. I would add a regex choice in the middle drop-down (alongside is, is not, containing, etc).

5e6a55e3e0666_playlistview.png

5e6a55f323fc1_playlistedit.png

post-1756-0-68123300-1584027043_thumb.png

post-1756-0-27997300-1584027051_thumb.png

PuffyToesToo

I just wanted to say thank you. I am enjoying this plugin. After a LOT of trial and error, I was able to create a playlist of 80's sitcoms interspersed with random 80's commercials to give a retro experience that is dynamic. I'd been trying to achieve this for a while ( and in hindsight I could have probably done this with playlists, but it would not have been as dynamic). 

saladin

Playing/testing this plugin... created a playlist to show movies containing "Harry Potter" in the name, but only 4/9 movies show up in the playlist (8 feature films plus 1 documentary). Also for some feedback, allowing a regex match would be great for advanced users. I would add a regex choice in the middle drop-down (alongside is, is not, containing, etc).

Try with: "potter".

You can remove mediatype check when use MovieName criteria.

This 8 movies are in different libraries/base path locations?

mhendu

Nice, thanks!

If possible in the next version to also implement Country, Width, Height, Studio, Audio Language as filters that would be awesome. Or Resolution, as in SD: w<=720 & h<=576, 720p: 720<w<=1280 or 576<h<=720, HD: 1280<w<=1920 or 720<h<=1080, 4K: 1920<w<=3840 or 1080<h<=2160.

Also would be great to have Year as a sort option as sometimes Year doesn't equal year from ReleaseDate.

@@saladin just checking in as it's been a couple of weeks since the last update. Do you think you'll be able to implement some or all of the above? Thanks again!

saladin

@@saladin just checking in as it's been a couple of weeks since the last update. Do you think you'll be able to implement some or all of the above? Thanks again!

Resolution, Width, Height -> are simple -> so maybe in this weekend I publish small update.

Some real world example for Year not equal to year from ReleaseDate?

computerprep

Try with: "potter".

You can remove mediatype check when use MovieName criteria.

This 8 movies are in different libraries/base path locations?

Each of the 8 primary movies is a grouped movie with 2 versions, 1080p and 2160p. All 1080p are in the same folder and all 2160p are in the same folder.

Removing the mediatype check and changing the name to contain "potter" left me with a playlist containing 5 movies: the same 4 as before plus the movie "Miss Potter." It should currently contain 11 movies, so it's missing 4 Harry Potter movies, 1 Harry Potter documentary, and a christmas movie called "Pottersville."

This isn't a playlist I'll actually use, it's just the first one I created for testing purposes. The second one I created combines all unwatched episodes of Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, and Chicago P.D. so they can be watched in release order regardless of parent series. That's working great.

Here's a folder structure breakdown of where these 11 movies (8 with UHD versions) are located. Of the movies below, all 11 will show up in my primary Movies library. The Christmas movie will ALSO appear in a dedicated Christmas library, and the 4k versions will ALSO appear in a dedicated 4K library. But again, the 4k and 1080p versions will be properly grouped in my main Movies library. And there are no block tags or parental restrictions that would explain the missing titles.

/Base UNC folder
    /Christmas
        /Pottersville (2017).mkv
    /Movies
        /Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone (2001).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010).mkv
        /Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011).mkv
        /Miss Potter (2006).mkv
    /Movies UHD
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone (2001).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010).mkv
        /[4k] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011).mkv

5e6a78786462a_playlistpotteredit.png

5e6a7891a3456_playlistpotterview.png

mhendu

Resolution, Width, Height -> are simple -> so maybe in this weekend I publish small update.

Some real world example for Year not equal to year from ReleaseDate?

Basically any movie on the below list would qualify (there are plenty of other examples that aren't mentioned). Also not uncommon for foreign films to be released at festivals or in their home country in one year, and in the USA the following year, so if you go by US release date it will differ from year.

https://film.avclub.com/not-coming-soon-16-movies-released-after-long-stays-on-1798224547

Is it difficult to create filters for Country and Audio Language? Outside of what you've already made available those are the two I use most frequently in Kodi so I can do, for instance, a German movie night, and only include movies that were both produced by a Germany company and where the audio language is German, or not English, for example.

hstamas

Im seeing the same issue. I have TV shows that span 2 different drive locations and the plugin seems to only be picking up one location.

@saladin has this been resolved or being looked at? I have some shows on a second hard drive and the plugin doesnt see them.

Using v0.9.1.0 as the straight up v1.3.0.0 doesnt show up on my Mac running 4.3.1.0

Could that be the issue?

saladin

@saladin has this been resolved or being looked at? I have some shows on a second hard drive and the plugin doesnt see them.

Using v0.9.1.0 as the straight up v1.3.0.0 doesnt show up on my Mac running 4.3.1.0

Could that be the issue?

I cannot reproduce problem -> but I will keep searching -> mainly I test on win/linux with beta releases -> I will try do some tests on stable versions.

0.9.1.0 is dedicated for stable version(4.3.1.0).

hstamas

I cannot reproduce problem -> but I will keep searching -> mainly I test on win/linux with beta releases -> I will try do some tests on stable versions.

0.9.1.0 is dedicated for stable version(4.3.1.0).

I just tried something different and it does "sort of" work. If I set the playlist for a specific series name it finds it on the second drive. If I use either "genre" or "tags" it doesn't find anything.

Maybe that will help?