Option for admin control of downloaded version

centuryx476

centuryx476

Hello,

Every time you hit the download button it asks you to select the quality type you want.

Can we just have a file that is designated for offline downloading. So when someone hits the download button for a movie/show it just downloads a pre-made file.

When you know you are going to be in an area where your reception will be bad or no wifi, you want to download the media ahead of time. And having the download feature just grab a file already made can really speed things up. Yes, it will take up more space but that is a sacrifice we all have to make...

Pseudocode

if (folder_contains_file == "%mobile%")

{

download file

}

else

{

Present Quality selection menu for download

}

Thank You

Hi.  If you use our convert feature (or any other facility) to create mobile-friendly versions of your items, this is basically what will happen.

centuryx476

Hi.  If you use our convert feature (or any other facility) to create mobile-friendly versions of your items, this is basically what will happen.

Hello,

I have used the convert feature and a file is placed there.

But when downloading it still asks to pick a quality.

But when downloading it still asks to pick a quality.

Yes, and if you pick a quality that is within the parameters of that version, it simply downloads that version.

You are asking to not be presented with a choice of quality?  I don't think that will really make sense for most situations.

centuryx476

Yes, and if you pick a quality that is within the parameters of that version, it simply downloads that version.

You are asking to not be presented with a choice of quality?  I don't think that will really make sense for most situations.

Right,

if you have a file that is ready to download. Why give the option to select a higher quality version?

If the quality you selected is within the parameters of that version then it straights downloads. That is fine

Should it just simply be one file that can be downloaded and nothing else ?

it is very easy to select a higher quality bitrate and then now the server needs to do a convert which wastes time.

idk if im explaining this right, I apologize if im making this worse...

Right,

if you have a file that is ready to download. Why give the option to select a higher quality version?

Because, perhaps there are two of them that would work or maybe the user wishes to download a different quality at that time.  If we bypassed that screen, then you could never download anything different.

centuryx476

Because, perhaps there are two of them that would work or maybe the user wishes to download a different quality at that time.  If we bypassed that screen, then you could never download anything different.

yes exactly. That is the goal

If anything, could this be a feature where its an option that can be turned off/on at the server level?

if the feature is on - then only the file that is available can be downloaded.

if the feature is off - then you can choose whatever quality you want.

I like your idea, this would avoid on-the-fly transcodes for downloads at all.

The admin could have an already converted file for download purpose only.

+1

I like your idea, this would avoid on-the-fly transcodes for downloads at all.

The admin could have an already converted file for download purpose only.

Again, if that file is already there, that is going to happen now.  It is going to be used and you will avoid that conversion.

I was referring to this part:

If anything, could this be a feature where its an option that can be turned off/on at the server level?

if the feature is on - then only the file that is available can be downloaded.

if the feature is off - then you can choose whatever quality you want.

That is not possible yet, right?

It would be nice to have this option to keep transcodes to a minimum.

As of now admins don't really have a control on what quality the clients can pick.

In the worst case a client would pick a high bitrate 4k file and concert it to 1080 with 40mbit only to watch it on a smartphone.

For this usecase a 720 version would be enough as they surely won't notice a difference.

Hope it's clear now what I meant.

Thanks, ebr.

• Like 1