Your thoughts on this AMD or Intel hardware purchase ?

SHSPVR

SHSPVR

My current Server is very old AMD A10-5800K on it last leg I all most got enough save up to build new server
I just wonder what are your thought

Main Part Option
Antec Performance Series P101 Silent Black/0.8 mm SPCC ATX Mid Tower Case with 8 x 3.5" HDD / 2.5" SSD Removable Bays (Why I chose this case it has 8 bay and hot swap bay are to darn expensive and I need to be more desktop style case)
Corsair CX Series CX750 (New) CP-9020123-NA 750W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series, H60 2018 (CW-9060036-WW), 120mm Radiator, Single 120mm PWM Fan, Liquid CPU Cooler
LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40
Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 2280 256GB PCIe G3 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ZP256CM30041 (Bootdrive)
Pickup a Used LSI SAS 9211-8i 8-port 6Gb/s Internal IT-MODE and cables (I plan to update and replace drive to 8TB hard drive across the board I have reused what I got for now)
Re-used Hauppauge WinTV quad-HD
Re-used other Hauppauge device
Re-used Hauppauge USB HD-PVR 2 and PCIe Colossus 2
Re-used 128GB SSD for Caching Transcoding temporary path

Intel Part Option
Intel Core i3-9100 Coffee Lake 4-Core 3.6 GHz(4.2 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I39100 Desktop Processor
MSI B360 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel B360 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15D-16GVR

or

AMD Part Option
AMD RYZEN 5 3400G 4-Core 3.7 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD3400C5FHBOX Desktop Processor
MSI PRO B450-A PRO MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVRB

My goad is to used GPU Hardware Acceleration so how are AMD RYZEN 3/5 xx00G working for you ?.

Next question are storage pool option Drive Bender or DrivePool what would be better software and why the reason why is because of LiveTV DVR Recording across multiple drives is not possible like in SageTV and NextPVR let alone any kind with load balancing so look like just going have used

storage pool option now I add to family members who can used TV Antenna

@
@@arrbee99
@@Smaky

Edited by SHSPVR

arrbee99

I really don't know enough about this kind of stuff to say anything useful.

I guess the usual stuff applies - will there be any transcoding and if so how much. I imagine if its just direct playing stuff either processor would be fine and I would imagine if theres any / much transcoding Quicksync on the Intel would help.

I do very little live TV recording so don't have to worry about recording across multiple drives.

Don't have one of those SAS things and wouldn't know my storage pool from my elbow.

Personally I got a X570 mobo 3700x processor and 1660Super graphics card, but for Emby and our maybe 4 users its kind of overkill. Speeds up Handbrake rather pleasantly though and thought the 1660 transcoding 4K to 1080p for Chrome at about 120fps was quite good...

Sorry, dun't help much.

Guest asrequested

At that level, go for the intel. QuickSync is far better. But get rid of that liquid cooling crap. Liquid cooling is pretty much just for gamers wanting to overclock, it has no benefit n your use case.

• Like 2

SHSPVR

At that level, go for the intel. QuickSync is far better. But get rid of that liquid cooling crap. Liquid cooling is pretty much just for gamers wanting to overclock, it has no benefit n your use case.

Sadly I going to disagree with you @ about liquid cooling as my above old server has had it for 8 years that same old H60 only it was 2011 design model and has had it from day one and not only dose it give better air flow in expelling the heat more directly at back of case better with out swirling air flow that traditional air cooler make.

I have to agree with @ on the liquid cooling. Spare that expense and get a better processor. I'm very much pleased with my new Ryzen 7 3700x build I just completed.

Also, in ten years of doing HTPC's I've not but once found hot swapping necessary. As a matter of fact I have a four bay hot swap cage I'm getting ready to list on eBay this week as I was able to use a five bay cage instead on my new build.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

SHSPVR

I really don't know enough about this kind of stuff to say anything useful.

I guess the usual stuff applies - will there be any transcoding and if so how much. I imagine if its just direct playing stuff either processor would be fine and I would imagine if theres any / much transcoding Quicksync on the Intel would help.

I do very little live TV recording so don't have to worry about recording across multiple drives.

Don't have one of those SAS things and wouldn't know my storage pool from my elbow.

Personally I got a X570 mobo 3700x processor and 1660Super graphics card, but for Emby and our maybe 4 users its kind of overkill. Speeds up Handbrake rather pleasantly though and thought the 1660 transcoding 4K to 1080p for Chrome at about 120fps was quite good...

Sorry, dun't help much.

Thanks it more about DVR Recording listed under LiveTV part as is easy to burn to thru lot disk space with 6 user so every few month I have to manuel clean out the old recording because of Emby inability to do proper intelligent recording I hoping they address this, this year a long with some other thing.

SHSPVR

I have to agree with @ on the liquid cooling. Spare that expense and get a better processor. I'm very much pleased with my new Ryzen 7 3700x build I just completed.

Also, in ten years of doing HTPC's I've not but once found hot swapping necessary. As a matter of fact I have a four bay hot swap cage I'm getting ready to list on eBay this week as I was able to use a five bay cage instead on my new build.

Thanks @@Sammy for your input but that expense to better processor also req you factor in a dedicated GPU which also take up slot real estate in this case to go along with it and more heat and fans to go with it will add lease another $350+ on top of it, I need the 4 1x PCIe slot.

May goal is iGPU solution.

We never used 4k Steaming in tell ATSC 3.0 get there and at most I should only see need for 2 or 3 Hardware Acceleration Transcoding need with steam over the internet the rest will be local Steaming to Roku or Amazon Fire Stick or LG Smart TV and Desktop or Laptop or iPad.

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

If you are going to use the machine as a server client model with no need to watch from it I have an old GT 430 I'll send you via USPS if you're in the USA to use for setting it up and for console use. Not top of the line these days but will get the job done for connecting to a monitor then you can still use the power of the Ryzen 3700 to do your transcoding when necessary for your clients.

SHSPVR

If you are going to use the machine as a server client model with no need to watch from it I have an old GT 430 I'll send you via USPS if you're in the USA to use for setting it up and for console use. Not top of the line these days but will get the job done for connecting to a monitor then you can still use the power of the Ryzen 3700 to do your transcoding when necessary for your clients.

Thanks for the offer but where shell I put if all ready have all 6 slot assign with

1 Hauppauge WinTV quad-HD

1 Hauppauge Porotype "Sorry No Comment my Lip are Seal"

1 Hauppauge HVR-1800

1 Hauppauge HVR-2250

1 PCIe Colossus 2

1 LSI SAS 9211-8i

The cost 7 slot MB sky rocket in cost so that an option

Oh wow! That's a lot of PCI Tuners! Any chance of simplifying that with a single HDHomeRun Connect Quatro and then getting another one as the budget permits?

SHSPVR

Oh wow! That's a lot of PCI Tuners! Any chance of simplifying that with a single HDHomeRun Connect Quatro and then getting another one as the budget permits?

LoL would you give up free stuff ? as been working with Hauppauge team on testing there product for last 20 years and that not counting what I use before then like in old days of ISA LoL and no I don't work for them, and who do think hook the Emby crew with Hauppauge Tools and Tuner and I understand that it wasn't great to work with there SDK unlike there Tuner so hope there working a plan B for Emby.

Edited by SHSPVR

• 3 weeks later...
SHSPVR

Well I end up with Intel setup I really wanted go with AMD 3400G but I was to way later I'm sure as some have notice the price gouging has that starting to creep up way to high