Have synology DS918+ and want to add disks

silver_2000

silver_2000

We purchased a DS918+ about a year ago and have had pretty good luck with it 

We are running emby on the synology.  

We are running out of space, as happens. 
I'm looking at getting either another synology or just the DX517 expansion.

My question is:

I would rather have space for MORE drives than just the additional 5 drives that the expansion allows 

Whats the down side to using 

Synology 8 bay NAS DiskStation DS1817
I know it wont plug in as additional drives to the DS918, but it gives me more bays to be able to use smaller drives and have room for spares.  
Emby will let me add libraries via mapped drives to the DS1817 correct ?  

Just curious 

FrostByte

Not a bad idea.  The DS1817 isn't that much more money than a DX517 and might save you money over the long haul if you plan to utilize a bunch of older smaller drives vs buying new, but fewer larger drives. 

Keep Emby server on the DS918+ and use the DS1817 as a file server.  You can do that using shared network folders, etc.  That really wouldn't be any different than putting Emby server on WIndows and using a NAS for just file services.  Your just using two NASes instead.

The only difference would be the speed of the path between the two NAS vs the usb connection using a DX and one NAS

• Like 1

Dibbes

I have a DS1513+ with two 513 expansion bays, giving me a total of 15 disks in one RAID 5 volume. And though it works fine, looking back, I probably should have followed the route @@FrostByte is suggesting, this mainly because it would have given me more flexibility and most likely lower monthly power bills because I'd have filled the new box with higher capacity drives instead of the 4TB drives I had originally in the DS1513. Also I would have been able to put one of the boxes in standby and not having the 15 drives running all the time.

• Like 1

FrostByte

One negative would be that you would need 2 more LAN ports that you wouldn't need with the expansion box, probably not an issue though if you're considering that option