Backup And Restore Server

thegrunge

thegrunge

Hi I'm doing a backup test on my mac. I used the server configuration backup extension (plugins) to do my restoration and I copied the metadata in the root folder where the metadata is located after the scan and that before scanning the libraries. The process is as long as if I hadn't transferred the metadata. I wonder if this is normal or if I should also use the NFO extension. In fact I am not sure what exactly this extension does apart from creating .nfo files next to each file. Thank you

Edit: I think I used the metadata of another version of Emby that I had installed and which was not in .config but just before in my username folder. I believe that a simple way to restore on clean installation would be to copy and paste the emby-server folder as well as that of the application.

@@dcol

@@PenkethBoy

@@Smaky

Edited by Luke

PenkethBoy

Dont have a Mac

But have you read the https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Nfo files store metadata about the movie/episode etc - rather than just in the database and speeds up scanning (especially) in a restore situation.

The only thing i backup for Emby is via the Configuration Backup Plugin 

Everything else can be recreated easy enough - especially if you have nfo's as i do - its just a matter of being patient - done this numerous times

Happy2Play

The plugin has nothing to do with metadata, only server configuration and users/userdata.

The \metadata\library folder is linked to database ids so you can not have one without the other.  So essentially one has to copy the entire programdata folder from one to the other.  But you could run into path issues doing this.

I have also used the nfo plugin to allow for local nfo files with my media.. as mentioned by others this allows for an easier reconstruction of the media library. Also use the config backup to keep config information backed up on a NAS so I can restore it if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
Smaky

I have relied on the NFO plugin for keeping metadata info. As I have been forced to reconstruct the server on both my PC and my Synology NAS at some point while upgrading between beta versions (or from stable to beta in one case).