Where is MBTheater

ebr

No BluRay menu support means my BD discs for TV Shows will basically be unplayable, yes I will have a BD lite menu but how can you tell what file is what episode or Extra. Very difficult without menus. I guess I'll stay with my Dune Smart player and TMT 5 on my HTPC with Win 7. Never updated from the last Cinavia free version of TMT 5, Internet access disabled for TMT 5 and I don't have the problem of asking for a valid license. MB2 will just start the player, don't know how that works in MB3 though.

We also build chapter points and thumbnails which can replace the BD menu in some instances.

Yeah you could use an external player like TMNT for blu-ray's if menus are something you need.

The menus are the least of your problems, how would you handle seamless branching when different cuts exist on the same disc, like theatrical cut and extended cut and it is accomplished by using seamless branching. I don't think that MBT will ever be able to accomplish that. At present to best of my knowledge the only once that can handle that are the Big Three commercial software players. Otherwise you are back to futzing around with remuxing and spending times to get around the limitation of playing a ripped disc.

Lets face it eventually we have to come to the realization that no one playback solution will handle all the different possibilities and there is something to be said for using an external player with custom firm ware for BluRay playback from the network.

miket5au

One of the major problems with Win7 (all version of  windows) is that the combination of codecs can cause problems. One way to get around that is to use VLC to play everything. However that means you need a mouse / keyboard. So, hopefully, MBT will avoid the codec hell. What I would like is decent subtitle support. Using media Control with WMC caused random crashs si I had to remove it and settle for always having subtitles on.

As to Blu Ray - being able to launch the external player is one solution but it will be hard to support Blu Ray playback inside TMT properly due to the continuous changing of the security and other rules - Cinavia is one reason not to upgrade TMT for example. I use AnyDVD as it removes a lot of the problems with Blu Ray playback. It will be intersting to see how the Blu Ray support works.

Yes, if you want full playback capabilities of actual BD discs then you will have to use an external player - probably forever.  But, if you just want to watch a movie, you can definitely make it work in the internal one.

• Like 1

crashkelly

Yes, if you want full playback capabilities of actual BD discs then you will have to use an external player - probably forever.  But, if you just want to watch a movie, you can definitely make it work in the internal one.

So then for instance if I rip one of my blu-rays to ISO format with DVDFab and include just the main movie in the ISO I should be able to use the internal player in MBT without issue?

I currently use TMT5 as an external player for the above situation, and 3D, but would like to use external players as little as possible to keep things as seamless as possible. I do understand that will not be 3D support out of the box but the majority of movie watching is done from standard 2D ISOs.

Thanks for the info

Cheers

crashkelly

It is dependent on whether LAV filters can handle that particular title. They're bluray support is pretty good, but not complete.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

If you will only have the main movie, why rip it to ISO?  Seems like that over complicates things.

• Like 1

crashkelly

If you will only have the main movie, why rip it to ISO?  Seems like that over complicates things.

Just the way I have always done it *shrug*. With it I get uncompressed video and audio and it is a "one-click" solution.

As a bonus I get the "Blu-Ray" cover treatment from CoverArt. There is probably another way to achieve the latter, but I have not looked.

space2001

One of the issues which I always come accross is the seamless branching for 2 or 3 cuts of one movie.

When you rip to MKV you will have to rip 2 versions.  To bad MKV didn't have a seamless branching option.

CloudVader

One of the issues which I always come accross is the seamless branching for 2 or 3 cuts of one movie.

When you rip to MKV you will have to rip 2 versions.  To bad MKV didn't have a seamless branching option.

Sure it does. Have a look here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160027

There are rips of Blurays floating around... um... let's call them "file sharing sites" that are labeled "2in1"  Using something like Haali media splitter or LAV Splitter allows you to shift back and forth between 2 or more versions of the same movie all within the same MKV file. All you have to do is go into the Splitter (right-click) or right-click in MPC-HC and select the splitter, and then click on which video stream you want. This is a very useful way to have both a director's cut and a theatrical cut in one file.

Speaking of which, since LAV Splitter supports this already, can we expect to see an option to select a video stream for playback from a 2in1 MKV in MBT?

crashkelly

You will get better functionality out of MB if you go into a container like mkv instead.

I will look into that for sure.

Thanks

It is dependent on whether LAV filters can handle that particular title. They're bluray support is pretty good, but not complete.

candybar213

i have already stumped the roku dev team with a problem and I would love the opertunity to puzzle the mbt team too if you guys get to where you need more input. I can run it on a laptop if you want to low power test too. just saying.

mercanbobbo

It is not ready for public beta yet.  It is in development/alpha testing.

Hi ebr,

is there any forecast about the date of the public beta release?