Tool that renames files and folders based on metadata

sandro_rocha_1982

sandro_rocha_1982

Good Morning. Is there an automated way to get the name and date of the metadata downloaded by emby and rename the movie file and folder? I own some movies with wrong names, localized titles, etc. I already fixed it in the Emby library but not the original files and folders. It would be nice if there is a tool that does this.

Dibbes

I've been using Media Center Master for over 10 years for videos and movies... it seems the developer has lost interest though. The tool is still updated and if configured properly, it works well, but i haven't really seen new features for a few years...

For music I've been using MP3tag. This requires some figuring out how the tool works, but once you've got the hang of it and setup your preferred way of naming your files, it's really fast... and the best thing, it's under active development and it's free

Edited by Dibbes
  • Agree 1

sandro_rocha_1982

Thank you all. I'll see if Filebot or Media Center Master can get the metadata downloaded by Emby and rename my files and folders.

Dibbes

Thank you all. I'll see if Filebot or Media Center Master can get the metadata downloaded by Emby and rename my files and folders.

Let us know what you end up with... I'm always interested in new tools to make my life easier...

• 2 weeks later...
Silentalero

I've been using Media Center Master for over 10 years for videos and movies... it seems the developer has lost interest though. The tool is still updated and if configured properly, it works well, but i haven't really seen new features for a few years...

For music I've been using MP3tag. This requires some figuring out how the tool works, but once you've got the hang of it and setup your preferred way of naming your files, it's really fast... and the best thing, it's under active development and it's free

Ditto on Media Center Master, the creator did seem to ditch it, but it does its job.

do not EVER get TMM, i used it for a week, and it ended up backing up over 10 MILLION garbage files multiple times and ended up completely locking up my HDD in my drive pool.

skidmarks

I cant see a way to use metadata from emby db to rename folders and files automatically...  might be a way, just nothing i am aware of.  If either the folder or the file name was correct this would make things easier. 

I would suggest the use of filebot (https://www.filebot.net/) to try and rename the files correctly on your drives.  Unfortunately it will not work well for backdrops or other items that might be in the folder.  It can make short work out of TV series and Movies.

I have been using Bulk Rename Here (https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/) to do bulk renaming on files for some time.  But recently found a great program called Advanced Renamer (https://www.advancedrenamer.com/) that is incredibly useful and has the ability to scan sub-folders all at one time.  Pretty sure it creates custom batch files, in the background, by parameters that you want to use.  Incredibly useful!  Thinking if either the folder or the file inside of it was named correctly this has the ability to rename the other.

Anyway, probably not helpful.  But some great tools to check out anyway....

Edited by skidmarks
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
realNivyan

None of the answers here answer the question: How to rename files & folders based on metadata

Filebot doesn't require meta-data, it looks at file/folder names and searches for it. That's the opposite.

AdvancedRenamer, Bulk Rename, Advanced Renamer provides tools to rename folders and files - but no way to interact with Emby' meta data; unless you want to basically do it manually - worthless if you have different formats to rename.

theRenamer is completely broken, why even mention it?

Media Center Master does it all, but still doesn't interact with Emby - it requires you to rebuild your entire library.

3 hours ago, realNivyan said:

None of the answers here answer the question: How to rename files & folders based on metadata

Filebot doesn't require meta-data, it looks at file/folder names and searches for it. That's the opposite.

AdvancedRenamer, Bulk Rename, Advanced Renamer provides tools to rename folders and files - but no way to interact with Emby' meta data; unless you want to basically do it manually - worthless if you have different formats to rename.

theRenamer is completely broken, why even mention it?

Media Center Master does it all, but still doesn't interact with Emby - it requires you to rebuild your entire library.

Hi, Emby can write to nfo files. There's a very good chance that some of those tools support reading the data from nfo.

realNivyan
On 31/07/2021 at 05:29, Luke said:

Hi, Emby can write to nfo files. There's a very good chance that some of those tools support reading the data from nfo.

How can i make Emby export the nfo files?

4 hours ago, realNivyan said:

How can i make Emby export the nfo files?

Turn on advanced options in any library you want to write the NFO and then make sure NFO saving is enabled.  Emby will then write an NFO file for any new media or media that is altered.

How exactly do you want to use this info to rename your files?

realNivyan
59 minutes ago, cayars said:

Turn on advanced options in any library you want to write the NFO and then make sure NFO saving is enabled.  Emby will then write an NFO file for any new media or media that is altered.

How exactly do you want to use this info to rename your files?

Files and folders are correctly sorted and approximately named. But some movies are listed as English in one place and French/Spanish/German/Japanese the other - applying Emby' titles/metadata to the corresponding folders and files solves this issue.

Yes, but doesn't that assume you have already passed identify for all of these?

If Emby got the identity wrong then you will be renaming your media wrong as well.

Have you tried filebot which can rename them from one language to another?

realNivyan

I've spent time identifying the series within Emby, which I was hoping to then use to rename the given media.

Ie. a movie file called 'chapter1.mkv' will be renamed to the associated metadata - of which the folder itself should be renamed to the movie/show title.

I don't know of any way of doing this short of custom script to read from the db and rename things as it goes.

rbjtech

Sonarr/Radarr can rename files based on direct metadata as it uses it's own database and/or mediainfo data - you can setup a custom 'template' (in File Naming) and then on demand rename entire libraries, shows or individual files.

I created a template to match what emby is expecting - and then added other attributes as useful info - my example below :

{Movie Title} ({Release Year}) - {Quality Title} {MediaInfo VideoDynamicRange} {MediaInfo VideoBitDepth}bit {MediaInfo VideoCodec} {MediaInfo AudioCodec} {MediaInfo AudioChannels}

Is this what you need ?

• Like 1

None of the solutions here are going to help him as he'll need direct database access (or api).  For example if I understand this correctly he could have:
c:\some-dir\movies\chapter1.mkv
c:\some-dir\movies\chapter2.mkv
c:\some-dir\movies\chapter3.mkv
d:\movie\file1.mp4
d:\movie\file2.mp4

He has manually identified them to be something like:
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Cocktail
Edge of Tomorrow
Eyes Wide Shut

But once these files have been identified and in the Emby database this could be done using SQL to write out rename commands that could be run as a batch file or script. Now to keep this simple once "chapter1.mkv" is renamed to "Top Gun (1986).mkv" using the title/year from the database you would have
c:\some-dir\movies\Top Gun (1986).mkv

So once each bogus movie is renamed to the identified movie in the Emby Database it would then be easy to use anything like Filebot to rename/move these to a better folder layout such as:
D:\Movies\Top Gun (1986)\Top Gun (1986).mkv

I do something similar to this to find and remove duplicates.

rbjtech
On 15/02/2020 at 02:13, sandro_rocha_1982 said:

Good Morning. Is there an automated way to get the name and date of the metadata downloaded by emby and rename the movie file and folder? I own some movies with wrong names, localized titles, etc. I already fixed it in the Emby library but not the original files and folders. It would be nice if there is a tool that does this.

By 'wrong names' I'm making the assumption that it has been looked up by the metadata providers and an option given by emby  (ie identify).  Sonarr/Radarr does exactly the same for an imported item using the same metadata providers but also has the option to rename the source (unlike emby).

So if I have a folder/file called 'Star Wars 1.mkv' - then on import, it's going to give me the option to classify that movie as 'Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)' - I take that option and it renamed the file and the folder accordingly to 'Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999).mkv'

If the file is named 'chapter1' then neither emby nor *arr is going to be able to identify it !

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

GrimReaper
On 2/25/2020 at 5:48 AM, Silentalero said:

do not EVER get TMM, i used it for a week, and it ended up backing up over 10 MILLION garbage files multiple times and ended up completely locking up my HDD in my drive pool.

That is plainly ridiculous, you don't blame the software for incorrectly setting it up and then being amazed by the result it provides. I've been using TMM for quite some time  (and did occasionally mess things up - and that was regularly and exclusively my own fault) and it has extremely powerfuly Renamer based on JMTE syntax, with preset tokens and renderers (but not restricted to those only):

https://www.tinymediamanager.org/docs/movies/renamer

https://www.tinymediamanager.org/docs/tvshows/renamer

Great thing is that you have a Renamer "dry run" option, in which you can actually see all the changes that will be made (either for single item or on bulk-edit) before commiting, hence having an option to correct it before it is actually performed. That function alone spares a lot of frustration.

• Like 1

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS test something new like this on a test library before committing to running it against your real files!

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
gihayes
On 8/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, rbjtech said:

Sonarr/Radarr can rename files based on direct metadata as it uses it's own database and/or mediainfo data - you can setup a custom 'template' (in File Naming) and then on demand rename entire libraries, shows or individual files.

I created a template to match what emby is expecting - and then added other attributes as useful info - my example below :

{Movie Title} ({Release Year}) - {Quality Title} {MediaInfo VideoDynamicRange} {MediaInfo VideoBitDepth}bit {MediaInfo VideoCodec} {MediaInfo AudioCodec} {MediaInfo AudioChannels}

Is this what you need ?

That looks great rbtech. I just started using the Arrs apps and have set up similar templates for my series and movies, just did it tonight. Audiobooks seems as if they may be a bit more complicated. Do you have audiobooks in your library and do you use Readarr? If so, have you created a template for renaming?