64 replies to this topic

#1 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 AM

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

Just recently since the last server beta update a video file I'm trying to play won't launch. I've tried it with subtitles and without. It won't work. then after I stop the playback I can't play anything else till I restart my computer. Also I don't know why ass subtitles cause transcoding. MX Player seems to play them fine. On emby Some other subtitles come on whemn they're not supossed to and have nothing to do with whats going on in the show......

Attached Files

Edited by NeverExists, 14 February 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#2 _jackflack OFFLINE  

_jackflack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:12 AM

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

(novice advice, but I think I had this before too)

Under the Server Dashboard - Transcoding

Do you have this check marked? If you do not you should. Without the ffmpeg log i can't be 100% sure.

See this image.

5e471dde66233_Clipboard01.jpg

The reason it is failing though is while the Roku can handle yuv420p10 (10bit) and the FLAC audio, your servers codec cannot. If you are using the CPU to transcode, you will need to see if its supported. If its a video card, then it should be supported, you might want to make to look on the same Transcoding page and look at hardware decoding advanced.

Hope this was helpful.

P.S. your Trackt plugin is not authenticating it looks like and it is also throwing out errors, but not effecting your issue.

Edited by _jackflack, 14 February 2020 - 06:33 PM.

• Dibbes likes this

#3 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

I don't want plain text. I want the image based subtitles that are one of the subtitle tracks. Thing is most other imaged based subtitles ass re working for the most part. except this track, cause it won't play. But plays fine in mx player.

Edited by NeverExists, 14 February 2020 - 06:39 PM.

#4 _jackflack OFFLINE  

_jackflack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:57 PM

Also I don't know why ass subtitles cause transcoding.

The first part of my answer addressed that in your post. Image based subtitles kicks off Transcoding.

Thing is most other imaged based subtitles ass re working for the most part. except this track, cause it won't play. But plays fine in mx player.

Without the ffmpeg logs, I can't explain why MX is fine, but with this log I can tell you when playing Cowboy Bebop to your Roku. Emby is told to use fancy subs, Emby also doesn't not send them, if a movie or show has subs, Emby needs to have fancy ready. So Emby transcodes what you want to watch and has them ready. Your server cannot decode the VP9 10bit codec with FLAC audio to re-encode it. Direct Stream doesn't have this issue, your Roku does all the work.

Edited by _jackflack, 14 February 2020 - 06:58 PM.

#5 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

Here you go. There were like 14 of them so I grabbed the last one. It said there were too many errors.

Attached Files

#6 _jackflack OFFLINE  

_jackflack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

Ok so this is the answer. I know this one because I am running the same Intel HD Graphics 4600 with Quick Sync. Your CPU is probably a Haswell 4th gen CPU like mine too. I have the i7-4770 4 core/ 8 HT 3.4Ghz.

Hardware Transcoding by CPU generations: You are trying to decode a VP9 10bit file, then encode it with "fancy" subtitles and stream it out. You can't decode VP9 10bit on a Haswell CPU with Intel Quick Sync.

So when you are sending it to the MX player, you are direct streaming it and the MX player is doing the "software" decoding of the file and playing it.

-See below

5e47321f114da_Clipboard02.jpg

#7 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

i have 2 video cards. ones an nvidia 940m. Which I use as the main one. So I don't know why it's using the intel. Also I'm using an nvidia shield 2019. Also does emby for android tv make use of the nvidia shield tv pro's upscaler? I've also noticed the quality in my videos degrade since the last update. It could have been the new settings I was playing with. So I'm not sure how to get it back looking as good as it did before.

Edited by NeverExists, 14 February 2020 - 08:34 PM.

#8 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 PM

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

i have 2 video cards. ones an nvidia 940m. Which I use as the main one. So I don't know why it's using the intel. Also I'm using an nvidia shield 2019. Also does emby for android tv make use of the nvidia shield tv pro's upscaler? I've also noticed the quality in my videos degrade since the last update. It could have been the new settings I was playing with. So I'm not sure how to get it back looking as good as it did before.

@NeverExists

Let's separate the individual issues:

1. Fallback to software transcoding fails because you have configured a CRF of 0 and preset veryslow. Please change it back to 23.
  2. For why your Nvidia GPU doesn't get used, could you please post the hw detection log?
  3. For the problem about uploading the data to the GPU, could you please try to transcode a normal (not 10bit) H.264 file without subtitles - just to see whether QuickSync is working at all

Thanks.

#9 _jackflack OFFLINE  

_jackflack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

The NVIDIA's version of Quick Sync is NVENC and the 940m is not supported. So that GPU is out too.

So basically your Intel CPU/GPU and NVIDIA GPU cannot decode those files.Your NVIDIA Shield and Roku device can decode them and play them. You need to direct stream to those devices period.

Sorry I don't know anything about the upscaler. Someone else might be able to answer that question.

But I think this thread is done, and you have your answer.

#10 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

But I think this thread is done, and you have your answer.

No, we are not done yet.

We cannot decode in hardware, but we should be able to do all the rest in hardware and that's the plan that Emby server made:

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
Info    Name                                        CanDoInHardware      WillDoInHardware     Reason                                  
Info    Automatic software decoder               >> False                False                Software Codec                           
Info    VideoInput                               >> False                False                Not a hardware decoder                   
Info    ColorConversion                          >> True                 True                                                          
Info    VideoOutput                              >> True                 True                 Hardware encoder                         
Info    QuickSync Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 -... >> True                 True                 Hardware Codec                           

>>>>>>  Projected Processing Formats
Info    Previous                HW-Context   Format       SW-Format       Next
Info    h264                 >> -            yuv420p10    yuv420p10    >> hwupload
Info    hwupload             >> QSV          qsv          p010         >> vpp_qsv
Info    vpp_qsv              >> QSV          qsv          nv12         >> 

Problem is that the hwupload didn't work and now we need to find out why.

#11 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

here you go, and 264 8 bit works fine and actually doesn't take anywhere near as much time to load

Attached Files

#12 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

here you go, and 264 8 bit works fine and actually doesn't take anywhere near as much time to load

Could you please post a log from the H264 8bit transcoding?

For your Nvidia device, please install the latest drivers: https://www.nvidia.c...px/156781/en-us

You are running Win10, right?

#13 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:49 PM

here you go

Attached Files

#14 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

Thanks, but this was 10bit (yuv420p10le) again, just with subtitle burn-in (which makes it work)

#15 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

weird says this in my media infoGeneral
Unique ID                   : 108537527466372111006861168021727629502 (0x51A79142AE60BFA7BFEA2CE242B850BE)
Complete name               : G:\T.V Shows\The Ancient Magus Bride\Season 1\The Ancient Magus_ Bride S01E01v2 2017 Bluray Hybrid-REMUX 1080p TRUEHD 5.1 Dual Audio-ZR-.mkv
Format                      : Matroska
Format version              : Version 4
File size                   : 6.48 GiB
Duration                    : 24 min 13 s
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 38.3 Mb/s
Encoded date                : UTC 2019-07-15 06:53:37
Writing application         : mkvmerge v29.0.0 ('Like It Or Not') 32-bit
Writing library             : libebml v1.3.6 + libmatroska v1.4.9

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : High@L4.1
Format settings             : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, Reference  : 4 frames
Codec ID                    : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                    : 24 min 13 s
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 32.8 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 40.0 Mb/s
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.661
Stream size                 : 5.56 GiB (86%)
Default                     : Yes
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.709
Transfer characteristics    : BT.709
Matrix coefficients         : BT.709

as far as I know it says it's 8bit.

#16 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:18 PM

maybe I sent the wrong one. Try this one.

Attached Files

#17 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

Seems to be another wrong one. The last two ffmpeg logs you posted were about cowboys, not about 'ancient magnus'

#18 NeverExists OFFLINE  

NeverExists

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

lmao 1 sec. k it's not giving me any new logs..... I'll try restarting the server. Edit:   I couldn't get the transcoding one cause there isn't one.

Attached Files

Edited by NeverExists, 14 February 2020 - 10:41 PM.

#19 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

You can force transcoding by selecting a lower quality in the client.

#20 softworkz OFFLINE  

softworkz

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 2595 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

I just need to see QuickSync D3D11 (set up with explicit parameters) running once, to be sure that we're having a bug in the case of your original log.

Thanks for your patience!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users