Media Info for Music - none

xe`

Music appears to have no Media Info stats at all whereas video has a extreme detail.

e.g.

Title480p H264
CodecH264
.... and often 50+ more fields of info.

Music.... nada

To highlight my point try and use the web interface to determine something as simple as if an audio track is a mp3 or a flac

• Like 3

There is no direct equivalent view for individual music tracks as there is currently for TV episodes or movies i.e. clicking on a music track doesn't give you a page view dedicated for that track as you get for videos. As such there is no immediate place to locate Media Info to match the current design layout.

Thinking about this carefully and paying attention to what we have in place currently I think it might be worth considering adding a "File Info" right click option.

This would allow for a page dedicated to metadata and file related information and would lend itself better to other content such as picture as well. There would be no real need to remove what it already in place for videos as that layout is intuitive but for elegance you may want to consider it.

This also has the advantage of hiding away all this detail which is noise to many (most?) users whilst allowing the "File Info" to be as verbose as you like catering for power users.

Note: I am not sold on the "File Info" name as it assumes everything is a file e.g. streams. "Detailed Info" might be a better term.

Edited by xe`
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
CathMowr

Since another user already had that proposal I’ll upvote and leave mine here too.

would love to see the option to have Emby show me more advanced Metadata for audio. I tag my files as meticolous as possible and it would be nice to have a display for things like Label, Barcode, ISRC, Catalogue Number, Original Release Date / Media Release Date etc. Basically the values MBP already shows me in it's tagger. 

But also the more technicals side of things like Sample Rate, Bit Rate, File Format, Mono/Stereo. Video already does that, so why not audio?

Yea we just need to find a good place to put it that doesn't get in the way of quick music playback.

ginjaninja

I would find it helpful to know this information at the album level (and album reports interface) - not so much at the track level.

Could greater info in this FR be provided without significant bloat to the DB or impact to UI browse performance? (some may have an order of magnitude more tracks than episodes and movies)

But albums are made up of multiple tracks;how might album info be derived? From the 1st track? Would be highly unusual (negligible?) for tracks on same album to be ripped at different settings? or use "mixed" label to denote when track fields are not 100% consistent within the album.

Interesting info for me is bit depth, sample rate, channels, codec, size

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
CathMowr

I would put additional info into the album section right beneath the spot where info already shows up. A smaller selection of information could also fit into the play qeue screen, right benath cover / artist - record. None of the info requested is ongoing text, just words and numbers that shouldn't need to much space.

Like @xe` already said you could make this additional info checkboxable for users that do not want to see it shown or better, so you could decide for yourself which screen you want to show what info.

Looking forward!

The information you are asking for is related to the songs not the album.  An "album" could conceivably consist of 100's of songs so attempting to display this detail on the album screen is not a very good idea IMO.  Instead, we would need some sort of "stats for nerds" at the song level.

CathMowr

The information I am asking for does not really change from song to song except for ISRC Code.

Label stays the same.

Barcode stays the same.

Catalogue Number stays the same.

OG/Media Releasedate stays the same.

So I see no problem in displaying that if emby fetches that from whatever song it wants and shows it in the album view.

Giving the option to display that at song level too would be also very welcome.

That sounds like info you might want in a music organizing program vs a streaming platform.

CathMowr
2 hours ago, cayars said:

That sounds like info you might want in a music organizing program vs a streaming platform.

Aren't both what Emby wants to be?

For me personally, Emby is the tool I use to connect myself with my music library, and furthermore with the music itself. So of course I want it to represent the work I put into editing this library - via a third party tool for organizing the metadata - as neatly as possible. If I wanted just something that streams my music to my devices I could choose from a bazillion of apps that already do this. But I chose Emby because it caters to my taste in presenting data.

Streaming media is the inevitable future because it is the most convenient way to access the content you love. It does not matter if you are talking about video or audio, with both the only question in the future will be if you want to control the files behind it for yourself or let somebody else do it. For the people who choose the latter Emby can become a viable solution as long as you give them the option to decide how much work to put into it. Some will want to put in more, some will want to put in less but you gotta give both sides a feeling of gratification for the amount of energy they spend on your software. Some will just want it to work, some will want to tinker with it until it does exactly what they want.

At the moment I see Emby - at least on the audio side - as not fulfilling both roles. For a media solution it takes a lot of work to get into it and make everything work, at least in my experience. And when you finally get around how everything is supposed to work you start to notice that the features that are there are pretty barebones. Yes, it does stream lossless or converts if needed. Yes it does work on different plattforms. Yes it does handle multiple media types. Yes it does have a decent UI that looks OK. But that's not enough. That's the core promise of this software. That's why people come and have a look at it, but that's not what they stay for. They stay for features that work exceptionally well and for features that no one else has. Or a good combination of both. But nothing less.

I don't want to compare this project too much to the market leaders in video and audio streaming because its not fair to compare a small (who knows?) company to whales like Apple, Spotify or Netflix and Emby offers me something they don't, that's why I came here. But if this software stays inconvenient AND intransparent - see the roadmap discussions - people will just leave or worse : not even consider using it and that would be a loss for everyone around I think.

Sorry, short question, long answer. I kind of got emotionally invested..

I've never thought of Emby as an organizer at all.  It just doesn't do this.  You setup your structure outside of Emby and it just adds meta data and streams your content.  I can't use Emby to add content, to upload content, to rename content or any of the most basic "organizer" functions you'll find in programs that are designed to organize and add to your media.  They of course don't stream your media.

CathMowr
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

I can't use Emby to add content, to upload content, to rename content or any of the most basic "organizer" functions you'll find in programs that are designed to organize and add to your media.  They of course don't stream your media.

Add content, no. But editing metadata is kind of there via the metadata manager or lets say.. Emby communicates a possibility while admins on the forum tell us to prepare everything up front. And that kind of illustrates my point. It communicates two things but does neither of them fully. It looks like a hybrid between iTunes and Spotify but doesn't play either of their strengths. It gives me serious Netflix vibes but lacks some of their core features. Of course users are going to ask for them (Skip Intro f.e.) and are pissed if they don't get implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think Emby should do everything. But what it does it should do very well. And that is - asides from the streaming part - being the shiny storefront for all you ugly folders and representing all the boring text stored in the files in the prettiest way possible. If it does not do this you can also stream via a NAS App or with a companion app for the Media Player you already use.

To come to a close.. I never asked for an organizing tool. Like written above, I already use external software that works very well for organising my metadata. I asked for more options to display my level of nerdiness since Emby already uses parts of the data I use/create in MusicBrainz.

19 hours ago, CathMowr said:

The information I am asking for does not really change from song to song except for ISRC Code.

Label stays the same.

Barcode stays the same.

Catalogue Number stays the same.

OG/Media Releasedate stays the same.

So I see no problem in displaying that if emby fetches that from whatever song it wants and shows it in the album view.

Giving the option to display that at song level too would be also very welcome.

The examples given in the OP are codec and file format (container).  Both are related directly to individual songs so that is what I was responding to.

If we have access to the above information it could be related to albums.

Thanks.

CathMowr

You should have access to this information I assume, since Emby already fetches Track Number, Track Title, Album Title, Album Artist, Artist and Genre from the ID3 Tags. The values I talk about are already there, right next to the ones just mentioned.

EDIT : By above information, do you mean the information mentioned by me or by OP? I am sorry, but you answering specifically just to certain posts without mentioning it confuses me.

Edited by CathMowr

ginjaninja
On 8/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, ebr said:

The information you are asking for is related to the songs not the album.  An "album" could conceivably consist of 100's of songs so attempting to display this detail on the album screen is not a very good idea IMO.  Instead, we would need some sort of "stats for nerds" at the song level.

thats a shame, at the song level the info would be very nerdy :-). but a best efforts "dont blame me guv'nor" [insert disclaimer here] approximation at the album level would be nice.