Option to generate collections from Actors credits

Beav

Plug in idea: Have the option to create a collection when looking at an actor’s credits from a movie. For example, when checking out the cast of The Big Lebowski and looking at Jeff Bridges’ information one finds that they have 8 movies in which he appears. When they would click on the “…More” button one of the options would be to create a collection of the movies that he is in.   By clicking on the collections option, the user (admin) would create a custom collection titled “Jeff Bridges Collection”.

So this:

5e4611ccd151d_jbcredits.png

Becomes this

5e4611e0d6a94_jbcollection1.png          5e4611fb59724_jbcollection2.png

Right but that's not a reason to go and build a whole new alternative feature. That sounds like more of a reason to continue our march towards making sure that every app has all of the same features.

Yes you could. However favorites don't show up across all platforms while collections do.

Hi.  Where can't you see your favorite people now?

Another complication here - if you build a lot of collections based on people then I think that would make navigating your library a bit confusing when "collapse into collections" is selected because many movies would be effectively hidden behind something that may not be very obvious. 

Hi.  Where can't you see your favorite people now?

Another complication here - if you build a lot of collections based on people then I think that would make navigating your library a bit confusing when "collapse into collections" is selected because many movies would be effectively hidden behind something that may not be very obvious. 

You can not see them on Roku TV.  If you go to filter by Favorites under Movies only your favorite movies come up. Unless I am not seeing it ( which is possible I grant you ) there is no place on Roku to call up your favorite actors/directors, thus the idea for creating collections. I've been doing it manually and just thought that it would be easier if the program could do it for the users. The Auto Box Set plug in does not always see the relationship in movies that humans do. For example I have created collections for The Marx Brothers and for Alfred Hitchcock because the plug in doesn't recognize their movies as a box set. 

I have my "Movies" library on Roku set to not group into collections, so that movies don't get hidden for just the reason that you state. However I do use the "Collections" library to group movies together i.e. all the Marvel movies in on collection but separate under "Movies".  This way I can brows by either title ( in "Movies" ) or by Collection. 

Edited by Beav

The global favorites for Roku are already done and coded.

There just was not a way at that time to insert them into the app the way other apps do with a view tab. That will be corrected very soon.

We must redesign the top header overhang to facilitate tabs/views you can change. Once this happens your view will be remembered when you enter that library. Just like all the other apps. It will look very similar to Android TV. Stay tuned. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1