Emby Theatre not full screen when powering off/on HDMI connected screen

Mbedford

Mbedford

Hi,

I raised this issue back in March 2019, it was never fixed, but seeing as im paying a monthly fee for Emby, I think its only fair to ask to have this resolved.

This is the single most annoying annoying annoying annoying annoying thing about Emby theatre, and its so frustrating!!!!!!! for my entire family that uses our family TV/Emby system.

Emby Theatre (desktop app) does not return to full screen maximized when powering off then on a HDMI connected screen/TV. Screenshot below. I diligently keep updated Emby theatre and all graphics and associated HDMI drivers on my Win10 system.

post-139386-0-98835600-1552081625.jpg

WHY is this so annoying? because every time you have to reach for the keyboard/mouse, move the tiny mouse cursor to the tiny maximize button, which is tiny on a 4K resolution TV, and click the maximize button. It just ruins the flow of a family big TV experience.

• Like 1

ryanfinger

I posted a fix for this several weeks ago. It has nothing to do with Emby....

Go to the following registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Under this key you will have a number of different entries. Inside of each entry will be a 00 folder. Check each folder for the following keys...

PrimSurfSize.cx

PrimSurfSize.cy

The values should equate to the resolution defined on your PC.

In my case the first 3 configurations all matches my resolution (1440 x 1050). A forth configuration was set to 1024x768. This entry is causing Emby to resize to that space when the monitor/TV becomes available. I adjusted those registry keys to 1440 and 1050 respectively and restarted the computer. Now, when the monitor is powered off and on the Emby Theater app remains full screen.

• Like 2

Mbedford

Hi Ryanfinger,

Thanks very much for your posted fix, but this doesn't fully work. Now it comes back as full screen, but start bar is across the bottom, see screenshot.

Before turning the HDMI screen off, the Emby Theatre app was full screen with NO start bar.

5e470406ea101_Capture.jpg

ryanfinger

For my main living room I use a Logitech Harmony device. It has two big benefits...

First it has a Bluetooth keyboard driver that you pair with the PC. This lets me map Emby keyboard commands directly without needing an IR receiver.

Second you can assign a hot key to the Emby Theater shortcut. This allows me to launch Emby fresh at power up and close it down at power off.

Mbedford

Hide the start menu.

With respect, that is not a fix.

AFAIR ET goes full screen again, as soon as you play a video.

Annoying, I know.

Ciao, Alfred

No it doesnt, playing a video in Emby theatre the start bar is still across the bottom.

For my main living room I use a Logitech Harmony device. It has two big benefits...

First it has a Bluetooth keyboard driver that you pair with the PC. This lets me map Emby keyboard commands directly without needing an IR receiver.

Second you can assign a hot key to the Emby Theater shortcut. This allows me to launch Emby fresh at power up and close it down at power off.

I have a Logitech Harmony remote also, This isn't a fix for making Emby Theatre go full screen without the start bar after powering off then on a HDMI connected screen.

Still stuck with the problem.

• Like 1

ryanfinger

Well, I can tell you it fixes the issue for me. And on my TVs without a Harmony hiding the start menu is a sufficient fix. Maybe we could dial down the whinnying a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
miniliQuid

Not 100% sure this is the fix since I recently found this myself but so far it works.

If you use windows 10:

Go to the emby theatre.exe (start -> run -> %AppData% -> emby-theater -> system -> Emby.Theater.exe) and go to properties.

Go to compatibility tab and then at the bottom turn on "disable full screen optimizations"

Unfortunately microsoft always adds nice things to windows, that turn out to be crappy functionality 60% of the time.

I am still looking into turning this for all of windows so my games can start normal.

More than once my games don't get started full screen either and I don't start through emby.

On rare occasion it helps a newer or old game, but sometimes it even splits my game over my 2 screens :(

Edit: 03-03-20 and has worked every day since I originally posted this.

Edited by miniliQuid

Marc_G

I had this some years back; in my case I bought a box that basically disables one of the pins on the HDMI path, so that the computer no longer knew that the monitor was power cycled. Completely eliminated the problem. By disabling one of the pins, I mean it maintained a proper voltage on it at all times, rather than letting it drop to 0 when the monitor was turned off. I forget what the box is called; after I hooked it up I haven't had to look at it since, but if you are interested I can investigate.

• Like 1

Mbedford

Marc_G, this does sound like it may fix the problem, would like to know what this box is?

Emby support team, could this be done through software somewhere, not sending the signal?

My workaround at the moment is to apply Ryanfinges suggested PrimSurfSize.cx changes in the registry, and to hide the start bar. But that is just a workaround.

pmac

Not 100% sure this is the fix since I recently found this myself but so far it works.

If you use windows 10:

Go to the emby theatre.exe (start -> run -> %AppData% -> emby-theater -> system -> Emby.Theater.exe) and go to properties.

Go to compatibility tab and then at the bottom turn on "disable full screen optimizations"

Unfortunately microsoft always adds nice things to windows, that turn out to be crappy functionality 60% of the time.

I am still looking into turning this for all of windows so my games can start normal.

More than once my games don't get started full screen either and I don't start through emby.

On rare occasion it helps a newer or old game, but sometimes it even splits my game over my 2 screens :(

Edit: 03-03-20 and has worked every day since I originally posted this.

I tried this on my setup (PC and TV connected to receiver via HDMI); the TV and receiver turn off when I press "OFF" on my Harmony remote, but when turned back on the start menu is on top of Emby and I need to click on the Emby window to regain focus in order to use my remote or keyboard with Emby.

@@Mbedford, maybe you're having a similar issue to me.

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized it was being cause by the start-up of my Emby activity on my Harmony remote lol. I tested this by manually turning my TV and receiver off separately, and didn't have the issue. When I started the Emby activity the Start menu popped up. If I close ET before I turn off my TV then it reopens fine when starting the activity.

Edited by pmac

Marc_G

I bought an HDMI Detective (from a fellow Emby user!) which is still working well after several years. The MonitorDetectKiller is now the go-to first thing to try.

ryanfinger

Let me take another run at my setup as I don't have this problem on all 4 of my configs. I run Emby Theater on Win10. 3 devices are HDMI and the 4th is DisplayPort to HDMI.

I also use a Logitech Harmony remote on each setup. I Bluetooth pair my Harmony to the Win10 PC for keyboard support.

First, the #2 post above (from me) is key. You need to have all of your virtual displays in your registry equal the resolution on your display. If even one of them does not match Emby theater will window when you lose HDMI sync (power off and on).

While not required I close and open Emby theater everytime I power on/off. I can do this via the Harmony. I create an shortcut for Emby theater and pick a hot key to launch (in my case F9). When I power on I utilize the virtual keyboard to press the F9 key which launches Emby. When I power off I send Ctrl+Alt+F4 to close it out. This really helps with stability of the application.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dansblackcat

This has started happening to me after I rolled back from version .11 to .06.

A fair while ago I mapped the little blue button on my MCE remote and made it launch Theatre.

I forget the name of the program, MCE remote mapper or something similar.

You just pin the Emby Theater to the taskbar and then there's an option to make a button launch the first pinned item. (I may have used some sort of command, I'll have to check later)

It's not ideal but it's handy.  I also mapped the red button to ALT/TAB, also handy.

Edited by dansblackcat

pgriffith

This is able to be solved via software, it's just the Devs knowing how to do it. I had the same issue on a PC, that would do it every time I turned the TV off & on again. But it NEVER did it with Windows Media Center. So there must be a way for software to override that behaviour somehow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
DeanoDublin

Ryan's registry fix above worked for me as well - thanks for posting.

I had 12(!) entries in the registry and needed to reset the size for 5 of them.  Some were 4k and some were 720 but they are all now set to 1920x1080.

So first off, do you know if the computer creates a registry key every time that it connected to a new display? Just wondering if it would be possible to delete unused ones and if they are simply recreated on the fly.

The 2nd question is a lot more important to my situation. I have the computer (NUC) connected via a Sony receiver and this has dual outputs to the TV and a projector. Both are the same resolution - 1080p, but there is a new 4K TV on the way to replace the existing one. My assumption is that this fix will not work in that situation??

ryanfinger

Ryan's registry fix above worked for me as well - thanks for posting.

I had 12(!) entries in the registry and needed to reset the size for 5 of them. Some were 4k and some were 720 but they are all now set to 1920x1080.

So first off, do you know if the computer creates a registry key every time that it connected to a new display? Just wondering if it would be possible to delete unused ones and if they are simply recreated on the fly.

The 2nd question is a lot more important to my situation. I have the computer (NUC) connected via a Sony receiver and this has dual outputs to the TV and a projector. Both are the same resolution - 1080p, but there is a new 4K TV on the way to replace the existing one. My assumption is that this fix will not work in that situation??

My understanding is that some of those displays in the registry are duplicates. Others are virtual drivers for functions like RDP, media center, or Team Viewer. And yet others are legacy holdovers. If you decide to delete something I would be sure to backup up any keys first and conduct testing. Personally I have not deleted anything on my configs.

As for your second question... How are you planning to use two monitors with Emby? Are you somehow running Emby Theater on one and using say a chrome browser on the other? Are you duplicating the screen in Windows OS or are these going to extend? If you can give me a little more context I can provide better commentary.

DeanoDublin

My understanding is that some of those displays in the registry are duplicates. Others are virtual drivers for functions like RDP, media center, or Team Viewer. And yet others are legacy holdovers. If you decide to delete something I would be sure to backup up any keys first and conduct testing. Personally I have not deleted anything on my configs.

As for your second question... How are you planning to use two monitors with Emby? Are you somehow running Emby Theater on one and using say a chrome browser on the other? Are you duplicating the screen in Windows OS or are these going to extend? If you can give me a little more context I can provide better commentary.

That makes sense - I've had the NUC connected to a few monitors bot in work and at home and would agree with you about the virtual devices.

The two outputs is simple - the NUC is connected to a Sony receiver via HDMI and this has two HDMI outputs - one connected to a Samsung TV and the other connected to a Sony projector.  Both are 1080p and work fine when eiter one is on or off or either both are on at the same time.

Like you, I have a Logitech Harmony that controls everything in separate activities. I do have a separate question about that! I need to find a way to be able to send a signal to the NUC to launch Emby Theater - occasionally it crashes (I think this is down to the NUC trying to access drives that have dismounted) and the application needs to be restarted.

ryanfinger

Thanks for the info on your display setup. While I only have one display I have an Onkyo receiver between my PC and Sony TV. In my case the PC negotiates or handshakes HDMI with the Onkyo and then the Onkyo with the TV. I can confirm this as my PC thinks HDMI device is an Onkyo TV. So if you are connecting a 2nd TV to the Sony receiver it will be up to the receiver to manage both displays. Each receiver will manage this differently.

As for how to launch Emby using the Harmony. You can create a shortcut for Emby. On the shortcut properties there is a hot key. In my case I assigned F9. With this you can either assign a button on the remote the F9 key or (in my case) have a startup task the includes the F9 key. I actually shutdown Emby Theater everytime I turn off the PC and start it back up.

blumamba

So I did have this issue too.  Since I have been busy my time line may be off by a week or two. 

In the last major iteration of EMBY prior to the newest rollout version, approximately 2 months ago I was having the same issue with the taskbar and mouse.  I had all my drivers up to date on a dedicated HTPC (not used for anything else pc - reciever - tv) and it would be hit or miss. 

Approximately a month prior to the new roll out upon start up it would lose focus in maximized screen mode and display the taskbar requiring me to turn on the mouse and click the "maximize" button to regain focus as the Harmony remote would not work.  However the task bar would take priority over the Harmony remote and make me turn on the mouse to have EMBY go click the "maximize" to have EMBY take over and hide  the taskbar, to which my Harmony remote would work again.  In one of the EMBY updates prior to the new iteration (not sure which) it fixed both issues. 

When the new rollout took place it appeared to have kept the "fix".  Over the past week or so it has upon every start up had the taskbar in front and will not allow the harmony to work until by using the mouse to click the "maximize" square.  Upon clicking the Harmony then works.

So I removed the app and only left plug ins.  Re installed to which did not fix the situation.  So I removed the app again and removed all traces. Re installed to which it would not go full screen as described in this thread.  It was less than 10% of my 75 in Sony 4k.  Harmony would not work until using the mouse to click "maximize".  I restarted several times with the same result.  Un installed and re installed to which it would not "auto start" even though all settings had been reset.  Unless the app is manually opened regardless of the autostart being checked in the app, you had to use the mouse.

I un installed and re installed several more times and it has not fixed the issue.

Any thoughts?

ryanfinger

You should be launching Emby from a shortcut. Validate that the shortcut is set to launch as maximized.

Have you assigned the shortcut key (like F9) to launch and have you told the Harmony to use the shortcut key to launch,?