Tv Structure Improvements

kikinjo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

kikinjo

Hi, due to increase of cloud storage use for emby servers i have a suggestion to resolve one issue that is a "blocker" for easy use of cloud storage and local storage combined.

Now is not possible to have for example 1 TV show on 2 different locations / folders. U must have all the seasons / files in one folder, you cant break it apart to 2 folders and that Emby

combines it and display it in UI in one place, it displays 2 shows now...

Example :

Location 1 (local)

TvShows

/House

House.s01e01.mp4

House.s01e02.mp4

etc..

Location 2 (cloud)

Tvshows2

/House

House.s02.e01.mp4

House.s02.e01.mp4

etc...

So emby should combine the same show, nevertheless it is spread to 2 folders.

This would really help to all ppl that have cloud storage in use or plan to use it soon, so they can have more freedom to balance the files, right now u must have all of the episodes / seasons in 1 folder.

Cheers

kikinjo

Hi there, yes we already support this.

@@Luke Sorry, i tried it, can u explain how to achieve this? I would be very grateful since i m in process of new server install and moving files to cloud and want to separate large tv show witm many seasons to 2 locations

but emby still shows 2 shows instead of one after scan ?

Edited by kikinjo

Thanks for the feedback. That option is on by default, so the only way it could have been disabled is if you turned it off.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers.

Does it offer versions when i add a 4K and a 1080p folder? 

Folder 1 /mnt/1080p

Folder 2 /mnt/4K 

1080p/Barry/Season 1/Barry s01e01.mkv

4K/Barry/Season 1/Barry s01e01.mkv

will i see Barry 1 or 2 times?

@@cayars is there a wiki article on this?

Edited by Luke

@@luxus please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

thanks for answering and helping me.. maybe I misunderstand something here.

Knowledge Base article for Multi Version Episodes would be

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159110

after reading the article the files have to be in the same folder right?

5e6a815645e3b_Screenshot20200312at193406

that's my setup.. ordered by decade and a special folder for 4k versions. I cannot add the parent folder because in the tv folder are stuff like documentaries and talkshows etc.

what I expected was that shows with the same ID got grouped together and I can choose the version 

but I see them separated in the next up section and everywhere else :(

5e6a821679772_Screenshot20200312at193235

Yes at present there is one parent folder for the movie or tv show season and the different versions must be in those directories.

This is something that could be changed most likely if enough people wanted this change.

I'd suggest creating a feature request specifically for a different directory layout if you think it's warranted and would like to see this changed.

Right now I think a lot of users sort of like the way Emby does this at present.  I say this because the functionality is totally there if you put all versions in the same directory structure BUT you can also use Emby's other features to "segregate" libraries.  By this I mean for example you can have a normal movie library that would contain your 720 and 1080 movies (or tv shows) and then a specific library just for 4K or higher movies/shows.

What this allows you to do is give library access to those who can direct play 4K movies/shows but deny access to those who need to transcode 4K video.  This way they play the lower video quality which can likely be direct played or if need to transcode will be much easier on the computer to do so.

Carlo

Series grouping is supported. Did you enable it for your tv library?

5e6bf89fd30a8_Screenshot20200313at221725

yes it is on.

Yes at present there is one parent folder for the movie or tv show season and the different versions must be in those directories.

This is something that could be changed most likely if enough people wanted this change.

I'd suggest creating a feature request specifically for a different directory layout if you think it's warranted and would like to see this changed.

Right now I think a lot of users sort of like the way Emby does this at present.  I say this because the functionality is totally there if you put all versions in the same directory structure BUT you can also use Emby's other features to "segregate" libraries.  By this I mean for example you can have a normal movie library that would contain your 720 and 1080 movies (or tv shows) and then a specific library just for 4K or higher movies/shows.

What this allows you to do is give library access to those who can direct play 4K movies/shows but deny access to those who need to transcode 4K video.  This way they play the lower video quality which can likely be direct played or if need to transcode will be much easier on the computer to do so.

Carlo

thanks Carlo for the great answer. yes understand how many people using it.. for myself I disabled 4k for some of my friends because they have no use for it.

for me a library is a way to have 1 entry (episode or movie) with, if available, different versions. and in a perfect world the library know what I prefer (like with subtitles) and even preselect the right version I will play.

but from what I read .. its not even possible to preselect a version (prefer 4k or prefer 1080p)

@@luxus, please check the two Altered Carbon series in the metadata editor, and make sure they have the same values under External Ids. Once you update them to be the same, then run a library scan and they should group after that. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.