#1 JustEric78 OFFLINE  

JustEric78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • LocationDallas, TX.

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hello, I have recently started working on making my Google Home's be able to request a movie to be played on my Shield. I have read other posts on the Emby app needing to be open and ready to go when you send the command, a bit disappointing but getting that out of the way as a potential reason why I am having challenges. Connect is setup and I can reach it via apps, browsers, and multiple devices. I have linked the Emby Home app, I selected my shield as the default device and was off and running. 

Findings:

Emby home does not recognize the shield as my default device, meaning, I have to say Okay Google, play Movie title on the Shield. If I do not tell it on the Shield, it asks me to repeat the command again as if it missed something, there are a few different phrases but they all tell me to repeat it again. Would love a fix for this as it would be much easier to just say the movie name. 

Second finding, if I tell it, Okay Google, tell Emby home to play movie title on the shield, it gives me the exact same results. It does not matter what title I tell it, movie, TV, it does not make a difference, I get this result:

1. The girl on the train 2. The last days on Mars 3. Paranormal Activity 4. Doing Time on Maple Drive 5. Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides 6. The Only Living Boy in New York 7. On the Inside

I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is selecting those titles, they are not ones I recently watched, added, are set to continue watching, or made any changes to, it just seems to randomly return those results? On a positive note, if my Shield is awake and the Emby app is open, it will start playing one of those 7 if I select them.

I have done an hour or two of searching through the forums here but I have not seen these problems.

Any help is appreciated!

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 149391 posts
  • Local time: 01:59 AM

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

I have read other posts on the Emby app needing to be open and ready to go when you send the command, a bit disappointing

Hi there, we are working on improving this. Thanks for the feedback.

#3 JustEric78 OFFLINE  

JustEric78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

Hi there, we are working on improving this. Thanks for the feedback.

Are you saying this is a known problem and there is nothing on my end that could be broken?

Edit: It looks as though you may have missed the problems that I am having possibly?

Edited by JustEric78, 13 February 2020 - 03:30 PM.

#4 JustEric78 OFFLINE  

JustEric78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX.

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

Anyone? Is this just not working currently and I should stop troubleshooting it? Just looking for confirmation please, I have been working on this for the last 4 days. 

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50059 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Hi.  As for the app needing to be open, yes, that is currently the case but we are working on making it so that it isn't.

Your other problems are quite strange, however.  If you search within the app, do you get proper results?  How about if you use the Google assistant on the device itself (voice remote)?

#6 JustEric78 OFFLINE  

JustEric78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

Yes, here are the results I have found

Voice search on the actual Emby search screen works using the Shield controller using my voice

Typed searches on the Emby search screen works

Voice search on the Shield home screen shows Emby as an option for the movies I own

Examples on reproducing the stated issues:

Asking my Google home device to ask Emby home to play any title without stating the device name - Does not recognize the primary device I selected during setup (shield) and asks me to repeat the command

Asking Google home to ask Emby home to play any title, on the shield, gives me the same list posted above (just validated again now)

Hitting the shield controller button to bring up the assistant on the shield itself and reproducing the above statements provide identical results. It does not recognize the primary device if not given and when it is given, it gives me the same list of movies. 

Very strange indeed, if any of this would be captured in logs, please let me know and I will provide them. 

Edit: And thank you very much @ebr for your time on this, as you always do!

Edited by JustEric78, 17 February 2020 - 02:02 PM.

#7 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50059 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:34 PM

Okay, so there must be some issues in the Google Home "skill" (or whatever they call it).  Please bear with us as we are a bit short-staffed on help in this area.

Thanks.

• JustEric78 likes this

#8 JustEric78 OFFLINE  

JustEric78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

Not a problem, if you need testers please feel free to let me know. I have various Google Homes throughout my house encompassing many of their offerings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users