Unable to play video with .ass subtitles

psxlover

Ok thanks :)

By next release we are talking about 1.0.75 coming next month right?

I can't say for certain, but I would expect it is likely

• 2 weeks later...

Was there a change related to subtitles?

They still work flawlessly with the latest zip :)

Yea we updated the rendering library for them. Thanks !

psxlover

It's direct playing, I would have noticed otherwise cause my server can't really handle transcoding.

But now that I tested again I run into a series that transcodes with the reason "Subtitle format not supported".

I though I tested it before as well and it didn't have an issue, but I guess I'm wrong. Not sure if it was working with an earlier version either.

The other 5 series I tried videos from had no issue, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

FrostByte

I've tested several ASS files now with the current release and they all want to force transcoding.  I know ASS direct played in the past, I just can't recall what release that was because I normally use SRT which always work

psxlover

Turns out this particular series was transcoding in the previous zip as well, and in version 1.0.70, so it is not a new issue.

Unlike Frostbyte I have no issues playing videos from One Piece, Naruto Shippuden, Digimon Tri, and Sword Art Online.

The only series that has issues for me is Nichijou(My Ordinary Life).

It is probable that all the working series are from Horrible Subs.

psxlover

I went through my films trying to check, but I only found 1 that had .ass subtitles and didn't need transcoding due to video (I was downloading 10bit h264 encodings when I used to watch on my PC instead of a TV). It playing without an issue.

Also the files from the series that don't work (ninchijou), have issue playing through the TV's browser as well (I mean running Emby through the TV's internet browser).

One other thing I noticed. Are PGSSUB subtitles marked as supported, or handled via the same library as .ass subtitles? Because it seems like Emby is trying to direct play them, and as far as I know they are not supported by my TV.

Edited by psxlover

psxlover

You are right, on one of the two films I have with PGS, if I leave it long enough it starts a transcoded stream.

On the second one, it spawns an ffmpeg process and a loading is displayed on the TV, some time later another ffmpeg is executed and the screen of the TV flashes and loading is restarted. At that time the video appears in the dashboard as direct playing. Some time later another ffmpeg process is started, and eventually I get a playback error screen.

This is the same behavior as I was getting with 1.0.74 where the videos with .ass where being transcoded.

My guess is that the server takes too much time to transcode the video and produce a stream for this video, causing Emby to timeout and try to start another trancoding. I don't think this can be considered as a bug, unless if it can be reproduced with a more powerful server. As I said the server is running on a really old netbook that can barely play normal videos, so transcoding is out of the question with it. It works on other videos, but the server transcodes slower than the video playing so it wouldn't be enjoyable to watch.

SamES

Out of curiosity, you mentioned 'video formats that need transcoding'.  What formats were they?

Can you also confirm if this is just embedded, external or both ass/ssa subs that are causing issues?

psxlover

Out of curiosity, you mentioned 'video formats that need transcoding'.  What formats were they?

Can you also confirm if this is just embedded, external or both ass/ssa subs that are causing issues?

Which post are you referring to? I mentioned that it was h264 10-bit encodings, which as far as I know no hardware decoder exists.

Also was the question about embedded vs external addressed to me or to Frostbyte? Mine are all embedded, both working and not working, but as I mentioned the not working ones didn't work with 1.0.70 either, so this is not the same issue as the one I created the thread for. I will try later if it tries to transcode them even if they are external, and post the subs if they cause transcoding regardless of which video they are paired with.

SamES

Which post are you referring to? I mentioned that it was h264 10-bit encodings, which as far as I know no hardware decoder exists.

Also was the question about embedded vs external addressed to me or to Frostbyte? Mine are all embedded, both working and not working, but as I mentioned the not working ones didn't work with 1.0.70 either, so this is not the same issue as the one I created the thread for. I will try later if it tries to transcode them even if they are external, and post the subs if they cause transcoding regardless of which video they are paired with.

Thanks, that helps.  Just trying to narrow down the cases that are still causing issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
psxlover

@@SamES Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Turns out the one series I have that is transcoding due to the .ass subtitles, is actually transcoding due to the video. Seems like the TV says it can't play the video, and the TV application assumes it is due to the subtitles.

In reality it seems like the application is missing a check for the Level, which is present in the DLNA config.

Title 720p H264

Codec H264

AVC Yes

Profile High

Level 50

SamES

@@SamES Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

Turns out the one series I have that is transcoding due to the .ass subtitles, is actually transcoding due to the video. Seems like the TV says it can't play the video, and the TV application assumes it is due to the subtitles.

In reality it seems like the application is missing a check for the Level, which is present in the DLNA config.

Title 720p H264

Codec H264

AVC Yes

Profile High

Level 50

Can you please post the full media info for that item and I'll see what checks are in place?  Thanks.

psxlover

As I said, transcoding this is expected, but Samsung TV app seems to try to play it, and when it fails it starts transcoding with the wrong reason displayed. It says it is being transcoded due to unsupported subtitle format instead of due to unsupported video format.

5e80981ea838a_Annotation20200329154345.p

SamES

As I said, transcoding this is expected, but Samsung TV app seems to try to play it, and when it fails it starts transcoding with the wrong reason displayed. It says it is being transcoded due to unsupported subtitle format instead of due to unsupported video format.

5e80981ea838a_Annotation20200329154345.p

There is a known issue with ass on 2019 models which is causing transcoding, so I’m sure the transcodingreason is correct.

psxlover

As I've said I have no issues with .ass in other videos, and this video is not playable by the TV even from a flash drive.

Trying to start the video with the subtitles turned off I get:

Transcoding
The media is being converted into a format that is compatible with the device that is playing the media.

Reason for transcoding:
Direct play error

So obviously the application does not take into account the video level and tries direct play the video. When the subtitles are enabled, it wrongly things the issues is the .ass subtitles instead of the video.

Edited by psxlover