Search by song title + artist name

blackarcanis

blackarcanis

Hi guys !

I'm trying to search to a song with the search method but having some issues...

The idea for me is to search by "title artist" (title + artist). But currently if I'm filling the "searchTerm" with that I got no result, I must only send the title of song.

I try to add as query parameter "artist=XXX" but it's not working it always returning me all tracks with the term send to "searchTerm". I need Emby to return me only this specific track from this specific artist.

Any solution ?

Thank you !

PenkethBoy

first thing i would do is try your search terms as you want in the web app

what you expect is not how the search works

i have a track called "donna" by 10cc

if i put donna in the web browser search box the 10cc album track appears

if i change it to "donna 10cc" then nothing is returned

what might work is search first be track name - and if you get more than one result then query those for artist - depending what data is returned from the query or ask for extra fields to be returned over the standard ones etc

see swagger api docs (bottom of your server dashboard - click api)

blackarcanis

Thank you for your help and sharing the link to the Swagger API docs, very useful !

So yes, I can of course request first by title of song and then looking in the result if I can found the expected artist... but it's not an easy and intuitive solution :/

Also, I have sometime only a string "title artist" and so I can't tell separately what is title part and what is artist part in the source string.

That's why I'm looking on a solution to simply, in your example, sending "donna 10cc" and having a result. Why this query string is not returning any result ?

When I'm using Emby interface, it's normal to type track name with the artist name, that's a very common use case. 

Do you have any idea why that's not returning any result and if there's a workaround ?

You would just use the search endpoint to search for songs. Currently that supports title only but I think allowing it to accept artist and title makes sense.

blackarcanis

OK good to know about this current limitation, thank you.

And yes, I'm agree with you, that makes sense. Do you have any idea if that could be something (I'm not expecting a date here) possible to do in the future ?

I mean search by title and artist name together like "donna 10cc".

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, blackarcanis said:

I try to add as query parameter "artist=XXX" but it's not working it always returning me all tracks with the term send to "searchTerm". I need Emby to return me only this specific track from this specific artist.

I know it's an old posts, but it did help me.    Note  "artist=XXX" did not work because of typo in artist.  It was missing an s.   It works with Artists=XXX

API call to:   <embyserver>/emby/Users/<user_id>/Items?Recursive=true&MediaType=Audio&IncludeItemTypes=music&SearchTerm=The%20Christmas%20Song&Artists=CeeLo%20Green&api_key=<api - key>

Returned one item:   The song "The Christmas Song" by artist 'Ceelo Green'