issues with unlock app on firestick

zeilercd
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

zeilercd

Hello - I used to use kodi (and may go back to it if i can't get this fixed) but a friend suggested I try Emby when i was complaining about renaming over 2k files so kodi could find them on the pc / server.
I installed it and it found everything, no renames needed!!! YAY!
So installed it on all 3 of my firesticks (3 tv's, 2 older firesticks, one new with voice remote; all 3 on same amazon account)
on the 1st one i went down to bottom on home screen, clicked the unlock and paid my $4.85 i think it was, and yay now on home screen it says "emby premier" under options instead of "unlock"  SUCCESS!!!!
went to 2nd stick and opened app and on the bottom it says "unlock" - ok... clicked it - and wants me to buy it again - ok figured why not... i can do $5/tv... and it fails and says "you already own this app".
I cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled app, restarted firestick, reinstalled app - same thing
BOTH the 2nd and 3rd firesticks have same issue
all signed in under same user in emby and same amazon accounts (obviously if it says i own the app).

I contacted amazon - they said it's something i have to contact Emby about ... so here i am.

I have read a lot in the forums here (great information - thanks for this!!!)
But, aside from seeing something about beta, i am at a loss - and do not wish to use a 2nd and 3rd amazon account as i have a lot of paid apps i use across all 3 firesticks....

screenshot showing homescreen on 2 of them (yes, i plugged the 3rd one into another tv in same room for setup ease lol) to show issue
If you need any logs, i'm happy to provide them, but unsure how to obtain them for you :)

OH... all 3 firesticks have same Version EMBY: Version: 1.7.78a
the 1st one says "Registered" the other 2 say "In Trial. Expires Feb 24, 2020" (which the first one did say until i unlocked it)
The pc where it is installed (server) is version 4.3.1.0)

Looking forward to response/help :) THANKS !!!

Note  the first picture is showing same user name both firesticks in emby
the other pictures are out of order, last to first lol of me attempting YET AGAIN to "unlock app" and purchase, and says already owned" etc ;)

post-583947-0-94280300-1581349762_thumb.jpg

post-583947-0-98913800-1581350225_thumb.jpg

post-583947-0-50023200-1581350226_thumb.jpg

post-583947-0-93430700-1581350226_thumb.jpg

post-583947-0-40071700-1581350227_thumb.jpg

post-583947-0-86616700-1581350227_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeilercd

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Dont1982 said:

I have emby premiere, do I have to also pay another fee to unlock this app? 

Hi, if you have Emby Premiere you should get 25 device unlocks as part of your Premiere license when those devices are connected to your server. This is for both full playback as well as all Premiere features such as Live TV.

You can use ANY of the Emby apps on your server without issue nor need to unlock up to the limit.

The only reason you would need to unlock an app is if you were to access someone else's Emby server who didn't have a Premiere license.

Here's a quick reference chart to what your Premiere License unlocks from our knowledge base:

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001173099

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ok i have my kids on my server as users, they have their own emby connect names, did i set that up right? I used their email addresses and such. if i didn't set it up correctly can someone tell me how to remedy this. 

misterpunn

I sent an e-mail a little bit ago but I'm not sure if that was the best route...

I recently upgraded my Emby server, but now my Emby app on Fire TV says I need to unlock. I purchased Emby for FireTV in March of 2019 (and can provide the order number for it,) but when I press to "restore unlock" it says "unlock is not purchased."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you go into the amazon store can you see this purchase?

You should have two entries I believe for Emby.  One is the free app and the other is the paid for app.

misterpunn

Yes, I have the purchase for "Emby for Fire TV[Apps for Android] " I didn't pay any money for it but I believe I used some credits to make it free by choosing slower shipping on Prime (they give you $1 digital credit for choosing slower shipping every so often.)

I had been using Emby on my Fire TV and doing local playback since then. I had not used it for about a month, but now when I try to do that is when I get the error.

Sorry for the long reply. The short answer is I have only one entry in my amazon purchases for Emby, but I had been using Emby on Fire TV problem free (until now) since then.

I'm not certain but it sounds like it wasn't purchased. If you take a picture of the Amazon store "receipt" for the app and PM me the screenshot I can take a look for you and pass it up the chain if need be.

Carlo

1 hour ago, misterpunn said:

Yes, I have the purchase for "Emby for Fire TV[Apps for Android]

Hi.  That is not the unlock purchase.  That is simply a download of the app.  Amazon calls any app installed a "Purchase".  The unlock will show as "Unlock for Emby for Fire TV".

Yea, already went over it with him in PM when he sent a copy of the store receipt and he understands the difference now.

• 1 month later...
Skullwing

I tried to unlock the app today, a few days ago I bought it on my anroid TV box that worked just fine. Today I tried to unlock it on my FireTV and the buttons just don't work. After that I tried to find "Unlock for Emby for Fire TV" but I can't find that app in the amazon store. I tried to install Google Play Store on the FireTV but it won't start...

Hi, The unlock is per store/account.  So if you made the purchase on the Google Play Store it can only unlock Google Play Store apps.

Amazon has it's own store as does Apple.

Hi i purchased emby premiere a while ago and on both my fire tv sticks it is asking me to unlock. Please don't tell me i have to purchase again

Edited by cue1boy

11 minutes ago, cue1boy said:

Hi i purchased emby premiere a while ago and on both my fire tv sticks it is asking me to unlock. Please don't tell me i have to purchase again

Hi.  Is your Premiere key properly installed on your server?  Are you connecting to the server with that Premiere key?

You do not have to purchase anything again.

Hi yes key is installed as this is what it says on server.

You have a Lifetime Emby Premiere plan and your device usage is well within your limit

I have 2 fire tv sticks that both ask me to unlock which i've not noticed before. Been using them for a few months now.

Have you restarted the fire sticks since installing Emby Premiere?

Are you able to playback media on the firesticks?

1 hour ago, cue1boy said:

Hi yes key is installed as this is what it says on server.

You have a Lifetime Emby Premiere plan and your device usage is well within your limit

I have 2 fire tv sticks that both ask me to unlock which i've not noticed before. Been using them for a few months now.

And you are connected to that same server when this happens?

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Have you restarted the fire sticks since installing Emby Premiere?

Are you able to playback media on the firesticks?

Hi yes i have had it installed for a good few months now and restart stick at least once a week. I do seem to be able to play my media. Thanks

Edited by cue1boy

1 hour ago, ebr said:

And you are connected to that same server when this happens?

Yes i have 2 servers.1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I have 2 firsticks. 1 up 1 down. Both sticks ask me to upgrade on both servers. I can play my media though. Just never noticed it asking this before. As the app been updated or something else might be causing it to ask for upgrade ?

2 hours ago, cue1boy said:

Yes i have 2 servers.1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I have 2 firsticks. 1 up 1 down. Both sticks ask me to upgrade on both servers. I can play my media though. Just never noticed it asking this before. As the app been updated or something else might be causing it to ask for upgrade ?

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what is happening and when?  A picture would be awesome.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what is happening and when?  A picture would be awesome.

Thanks.

Hi, these are the screen shots of the firestick. I haven't purchased the app from amazon as i have a premiere subscription with emby.

IMG_20201031_214510030.thumb.jpg.92f100e4dd437439f741b289d973e260.jpgIMG_20201031_214146806.thumb.jpg.860136a7bafba425b525372b78d158dd.jpgIMG_20201031_183146629.thumb.jpg.0ed6014dfe4eb125c2195a6fa9a80fa7.jpg

Emby Premiere and Unlock are NOT THE SAME THING.

You do not need to unlock at the app level if you have Emby Premiere NOR can you unless you've paid for the specific app.

Is this what you're trying to do unlock the app because you have Emby Premiere?