Photo

Unexpected DTS transcode shield tv 2019 (tube)

shield audio android tv nvidia

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 152351 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 AM

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

The reason I posted in this thread is just like the original poster, there is no reason under "Stats For Nerds". Looks just like the screen shot in post 7 above.

Ok we're sorry to hear about this. If you check the server dashboard during playback and click the info button under the active device, does that show the reason?

#22 maegibbons OFFLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2589 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

The reason I posted in this thread is just like the original poster, there is no reason under "Stats For Nerds". Looks just like the screen shot in post 7 above.

If its as post 7 then it is remuxing rather than transcoding. Its changing the DTS to Dolby 5.1. Thats why it is not giving a reason as the Video is not being transcoded.

As to why its doing it, that is the question.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons, 13 February 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#23 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

In fact I get exactly the same behaviour is I manually select "Playback Correction" and answers Yes. Both "Stats for Nerds" and Dashboard look the same.

Edit: One more data point; If I go into the Shield settings and turn off DTS and DTS-HD manually under sound formats, the transcoding starts instantly. It looks like, at a pure guess, that the server is streaming for a while (60 seconds?) and then something times out and the client or server then fallback to a non-DTS audio track via transcoding.

Edited by pgalbavy, 13 February 2020 - 04:35 PM.

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 152351 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

It may have been a direct play failure that automatically switched to that, and the reason description is just missing from the remux session. @ebr can review that.

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 152351 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

In fact yes i think that is true because in the server log i can see the direct play request just prior to that.

#26 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50662 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

If you can reproduce it and then immediately send the app log, I may be able to see what the error is.

#27 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:32 AM

Sorry, jetlagged and fell asleep in front of the TV :)

I will figure out how to grab logs on nvidia shortly and do this over the weekend. 

#28 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:35 AM

Apologies, but I have searched but cannot figure out how to capture / download logs on an nvidia shield - if this were my phone it would be easy.

Also, should I enable debug logs in the app menus for this?

#29 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 4876 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:03 AM

Apologies, but I have searched but cannot figure out how to capture / download logs on an nvidia shield - if this were my phone it would be easy.

Also, should I enable debug logs in the app menus for this?

You have to enable debug options under General Display settings within the app first before you can see the send logs option.

Then "Send Logs" should show up under the user icon.

• CBers likes this

#30 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

Thanks

• FrostByte likes this

#31 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

I sent a couple of logs from the app under this account if you can find them,

I recently did an update to shield 8.0.2 but also cleared the app storage. Since then I cannot repeat the problem with an unchanged BluRay MKV (H264+DTS-HA MA) but I can reliably cause it to transcode without stated reason on a HEVC video transcode with copied audio tracks. May be a different issue, even if the same symptoms.

#32 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:53 AM

Further random experimentation has shown me there is no strict pattern here. I have an HEVC transcode with Japanese DTS-HD MA audio that plays direct with no initial pause/fail. Other content fails regardless of which audio track I select. It "feels" (with NO evidence) like it's actually the emby server somehow remuxing content not quite right.

Again, not intending to complain but to make comparisons, Plex plays all the content as expected with no more delay than drive-spinup on the server.

#33 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50662 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

Again, not intending to complain but to make comparisons, Plex plays all the content as expected with no more delay than drive-spinup on the server.

Your media drives are sleeping at the time when this occurs...?

#34 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Sometimes. They are in a btrfs "single" array and all set to spin down after something like 10 minutes of inactivity. As they are consumer grade drives and only used maybe a couple of hours a day (on average) this seemed a fair compromise. They have been this way for years. Literally.

#35 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50662 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

Is there a correlation between this issue occurring and the drive(s) being asleep?

#36 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

No, not as far as I can tell. Once the drives are awake then there is no delay playing stuff that will play direct (ditto Plex) - but stuff that has direct play issues show a one minute delay at all times, and then I guess error checking kicks in and transcodes the stream.

Worth noting that from the "stats for nerds" it's *only* the audio that gets transcoded, the HEVC video (and previously the H264 video - which I cannot now cause to break) is left as is, just remuxed I guess.

#37 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50662 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Worth noting that from the "stats for nerds" it's *only* the audio that gets transcoded, the HEVC video (and previously the H264 video - which I cannot now cause to break) is left as is, just remuxed I guess.

Actually, that is the second stage of error correction - unless the audio in question cannot be delivered via HLS (like DTS or DTS-HD).

• pgalbavy likes this

#38 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Did you find my app logs?

I can send some more later today - it is Sunday and I'm at home - of both fails and also the odd success (with the same-ish codecs).

#39 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 50662 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Please re-send and note in here the exact time you sent them and the LOCAL Emby user that is logged in.

Thanks.

• pgalbavy likes this

#40 pgalbavy OFFLINE  

pgalbavy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

I sent some logs now, 17:55 (GMT) local user "PETER"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shield, audio, android tv, nvidia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users