Unexpected DTS transcode shield tv 2019 (tube)

archiel

pgalbavy

Sorry, jetlagged and fell asleep in front of the TV :)

I will figure out how to grab logs on nvidia shortly and do this over the weekend. 

pgalbavy

Apologies, but I have searched but cannot figure out how to capture / download logs on an nvidia shield - if this were my phone it would be easy.

Also, should I enable debug logs in the app menus for this?

FrostByte

Apologies, but I have searched but cannot figure out how to capture / download logs on an nvidia shield - if this were my phone it would be easy.

Also, should I enable debug logs in the app menus for this?

You have to enable debug options under General Display settings within the app first before you can see the send logs option.

Then "Send Logs" should show up under the user icon.

• Like 1

pgalbavy

I sent a couple of logs from the app under this account if you can find them,

I recently did an update to shield 8.0.2 but also cleared the app storage. Since then I cannot repeat the problem with an unchanged BluRay MKV (H264+DTS-HA MA) but I can reliably cause it to transcode without stated reason on a HEVC video transcode with copied audio tracks. May be a different issue, even if the same symptoms.

pgalbavy

Further random experimentation has shown me there is no strict pattern here. I have an HEVC transcode with Japanese DTS-HD MA audio that plays direct with no initial pause/fail. Other content fails regardless of which audio track I select. It "feels" (with NO evidence) like it's actually the emby server somehow remuxing content not quite right.

Again, not intending to complain but to make comparisons, Plex plays all the content as expected with no more delay than drive-spinup on the server.

Again, not intending to complain but to make comparisons, Plex plays all the content as expected with no more delay than drive-spinup on the server.

Your media drives are sleeping at the time when this occurs...?

pgalbavy

Sometimes. They are in a btrfs "single" array and all set to spin down after something like 10 minutes of inactivity. As they are consumer grade drives and only used maybe a couple of hours a day (on average) this seemed a fair compromise. They have been this way for years. Literally.

pgalbavy

No, not as far as I can tell. Once the drives are awake then there is no delay playing stuff that will play direct (ditto Plex) - but stuff that has direct play issues show a one minute delay at all times, and then I guess error checking kicks in and transcodes the stream.

Worth noting that from the "stats for nerds" it's *only* the audio that gets transcoded, the HEVC video (and previously the H264 video - which I cannot now cause to break) is left as is, just remuxed I guess.

Worth noting that from the "stats for nerds" it's *only* the audio that gets transcoded, the HEVC video (and previously the H264 video - which I cannot now cause to break) is left as is, just remuxed I guess.

Actually, that is the second stage of error correction - unless the audio in question cannot be delivered via HLS (like DTS or DTS-HD).

• Like 1

pgalbavy

Did you find my app logs?

I can send some more later today - it is Sunday and I'm at home - of both fails and also the odd success (with the same-ish codecs).

Please re-send and note in here the exact time you sent them and the LOCAL Emby user that is logged in.

Thanks.

• Like 1

The device is running out of memory trying to load the file.  I don't think I've ever seen that before but what else is running at the time?

Also, you might try clearing the cache for the app.

pgalbavy

Huh. I hard restarted the shield earlier (as in remove power and plug back in). I cleared the cache a few days ago, but will try again.

Nothing else running that I know of, I just use it as a pure media player, one app at a time. Will look around.

Cache cleared. Only other recent running app was Plex. 

Realize that, when you "quit" an app on the Android platform, it actually doesn't quit.  It is still running in the background.

Do you have the Plex server running on the Shield as well?

pgalbavy

No, no server apps. Neither Emby or Plex or anything. Apart from Emby player app and a couple of games (not run in a very long time) everything is out of the box + auto updates.

pgalbavy

Apart from factory defaulting my shield (which I will try to make time for on the weekend) is there any other info I can gather at this point? Would a consistently defective HEVC file help (I can probably share via dropbox/gdrive etc.) ?

• 3 weeks later...
pgalbavy

I have now reset my shield to factory defaults, installed Emby beta, set some defaults like audio passthrough, and the behaviour is identical.