Unexpected DTS transcode shield tv 2019 (tube)

archiel

When  playing playing a movie though the Shield TV, it stopped twice, needing me to return to the main Shield menu and re-select Emby. When i looked at the logs I could see that it was transcoding the DTS audio, but could not see why.

The same file pays without any transcoding though Plex.  I have tried another movie with DTS audio (and a higher bitrate) and it played normally 

The Shield is output through a Yamaha YSP-2700 which supports DTS.  I have attached the main Server log and the remux logs.

5e40184c51950_JB.jpg

My experience of the Emby app on Shield is that is any transcoding (even just audio) takes place, there is a tendency for the playback to stop unexpectedly.   I can see no evidence of network congestion or heavy CPU  usage on the media server (windows 10, i7-3770, 32 GB ram). As with the specific movie, I do not get these issues on Plex, which makes me think it is app specific.  

embyserver-63716803196.txt

ffmpeg-remux-83f3c07a-0aa0-48ca-851b-b7cc53903a88_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-560a2e4e-5021-4bbf-9bf7-489d9224ccc4_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-187acee7-254e-440b-a9ba-e600d9ead170_1.txt

Edited by archiel

Hi there, did you check out the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

I could that it was transcoding (see below) , but not why - what should I be looking for?

19:49:55.318   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

Hi.  I believe it is the subtitles that are forcing a remux which then forces us to convert to AC3.  If you turn those off, what happens?

I could that it was transcoding (see below) , but not why - what should I be looking for?

19:49:55.318   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

The stats feature is inside the video player screen and it will show you.

Hi.  I believe it is the subtitles that are forcing a remux which then forces us to convert to AC3.  If you turn those off, what happens?

The subtitles were off when played the movie, so that shouldn't be the reason.  .

There is no transcode reason on the url either and the app is reporting support for DTS.  Perhaps it is the audio bitrate condition but I'm not sure what would have changed there.

pgalbavy

Not sure why but I am seeing similar things. I have some DTS-HD (DTS-X and normal) that transcode and others that do not. I can't locate track-names on the files (using mediainfo) so not sure if that's the same for me. Unfortunately I have not been at home long enough to do more that switch using Plex for these films (which has no issues on the same platforms, server and client) as I don't have the mental bandwidth after my first week back in the country top do much more after work...

Edit: I just checked with "mediainfo -f" and "mkvinfo" and found one transcoding film did in fact have a title while a know non-transcoded one did not. I have removed the title using "mkvpropedit fil.mkv --edit info -d title" and rescan will test when I get home. Fingers crossed.

Edited by pgalbavy

Can you also try making a different change? It could just be the resaving of the file that is fixing it and not the title removal. Thanks.

pgalbavy

OK, I am now confused and weirded out.

The original film (Atomic Blonde BluRay RIP) is now playing perfectly without changes. The HEVC re-encode (copied audio tracks) doesn't. It's the latter I changed. I cleared the app data on the shield and also updated the server to 4.4.0.13 with no change. Playing another HEVC re-encode with DTS-HD 5.1 is fine.

Yesterday the Atomic Blonde BluRay RIP would transcode. It worked without any other changes when I first tried this evening, before any restarts, updates etc.

Here's a server log (just from the restart now) but I will go collect more (proper) info if the jetlag lets me stay awake. 

embyserver.txt

pgalbavy

No, not quite. One file that was "broken" now works. I cannot explain why. A different version of the same film (identical audio tracks) gets transcoded. I did find others that unexpectedly transcode DTS-HD when played on the shield - I just have to locate some more examples and produce some logs for you I guess.

There is a problem, it seems a bit unpredictable but whenever I have found an issue prior to now I have been able to play the film in Plex with no inconsistencies.

For the ones that still do transcode, did you check the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

pgalbavy

The reason I posted in this thread is just like the original poster, there is no reason under "Stats For Nerds". Looks just like the screen shot in post 7 above.

The reason I posted in this thread is just like the original poster, there is no reason under "Stats For Nerds". Looks just like the screen shot in post 7 above.

Ok we're sorry to hear about this. If you check the server dashboard during playback and click the info button under the active device, does that show the reason?

maegibbons

If its as post 7 then it is remuxing rather than transcoding. Its changing the DTS to Dolby 5.1. Thats why it is not giving a reason as the Video is not being transcoded.

As to why its doing it, that is the question.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons

pgalbavy

In fact I get exactly the same behaviour is I manually select "Playback Correction" and answers Yes. Both "Stats for Nerds" and Dashboard look the same.

Edit: One more data point; If I go into the Shield settings and turn off DTS and DTS-HD manually under sound formats, the transcoding starts instantly. It looks like, at a pure guess, that the server is streaming for a while (60 seconds?) and then something times out and the client or server then fallback to a non-DTS audio track via transcoding.

Edited by pgalbavy

It may have been a direct play failure that automatically switched to that, and the reason description is just missing from the remux session. @@ebr can review that.

In fact yes i think that is true because in the server log i can see the direct play request just prior to that.