No subtitles when streaming from mobile to chromecast

Highmere

22 hours ago, Netbug said:

In server transcoding settings try unchecking the option to allow subtitle extraction on the fly as it's just not quick enough in your environment. This will result in more server transcoding to burn the subtitles into the video, which you may not like either depending on the performance of your server machine. So for best results try using external .srt subtitles.

Hi, Just an suggestion and don't hate me for it. Does clearing up the subtitle cache folder on the server help? You have a Playstation on the photo of you AV setup, and with the current setup in my inviroment the PS playback is corrupting the cached subtitle file to 1kb in size for that media title. Playing that from chromecast will display no subtitle.

Best regards. 

6 hours ago, Blob said:

Hi, Just an suggestion and don't hate me for it. Does clearing up the subtitle cache folder on the server help? You have a Playstation on the photo of you AV setup, and with the current setup in my inviroment the PS playback is corrupting the cached subtitle file to 1kb in size for that media title. Playing that from chromecast will display no subtitle.

Appreciate the thought. I almost never use the PS (for anything, really). But I'd like to know where the cache is located to clear it? Is it done through the interface or do I need to dig into the folder structure?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Netbug said:

Appreciate the thought. I almost never use the PS (for anything, really). But I'd like to know where the cache is located to clear it? Is it done through the interface or do I need to dig into the folder structure?

Thanks.

OK, Then probrally not related then. Content, Folders deleted within %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\emby-server\cache\subtitles. This removed the problematic 1kb cached subtitles created by another user's PS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blob said:

OK, Then probrally not related then. Content, Folders deleted within %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\emby-server\cache\subtitles. This removed the problematic 1kb cached subtitles created by another user's PS.

This has been corrected for the next release and won't happen anymore. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Netbug

This problem seems to have come back from the dead.

This week I have been unable to get subs working on anything that is streamed to the Chromecast. The following are the media i have tested so far:

• Highlander (1986)
  • Mare of Easttown S01E01
  • Mythic Quest S02E04
  • Last Week Tonight S08E13

All of the above are in MKV containers.

I am attaching logs. This started about 3 or 4 days ago. All of the above subtitles work on the mobile device itself (Samsung Galaxy S9) and when playing through the web interface on Chrome.

embyserver3.txt embyserver2.txt embyserver.txt

1 hour ago, Netbug said:

This problem seems to have come back from the dead.

This week I have been unable to get subs working on anything that is streamed to the Chromecast. The following are the media i have tested so far:

• Highlander (1986)
  • Mare of Easttown S01E01
  • Mythic Quest S02E04
  • Last Week Tonight S08E13

All of the above are in MKV containers.

I am attaching logs. This started about 3 or 4 days ago. All of the above subtitles work on the mobile device itself (Samsung Galaxy S9) and when playing through the web interface on Chrome.

embyserver3.txt 2.42 MB · 0 downloads embyserver2.txt 1.95 MB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 895.61 kB · 0 downloads

HI, there's multiple log files here. what date and time did the problem occur?

Netbug
On 1/14/2021 at 2:45 PM, Luke said:

Simply reproduce the problem again, then attach all log files that were modified during that timeframe. Thanks.

Sorry, always get confused with log files. Most recent was with Mare of Easttown I would guess around 2000est today.

Netbug
14 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, there's multiple log files here. what date and time did the problem occur?

Do you need me to create new log files after a fresh reboot? I can if that would help.

Just now, Netbug said:

Do you need me to create new log files after a fresh reboot? I can if that would help.

That would be great, thanks.

Netbug

Fresh boot of both Emby and the Chromecast. Attempted to play Mare of Easttown with subtitles around 1354 eastern time. Also tested The Good Doctor S04E18 at 1407 eastern time. Both were MKV containers.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Netbug

Netbug
Netbug

Am I doing something wrong or is there something odd going on? Are those the correct files that you need?

Netbug

I also just tested on my second Chromecast (which I should have done before). It also is unable to display subtitles for the above mentioned programs. Log attached. Viewing time was about 1150 eastern time. 

I'm not sure if it's important, but when i turned on the second Chromecast (I don't use it much), there was an update which executed. Possibly a change causing problems?

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-49a5c039-50ba-4f97-8744-cb5d3455df1b_1.txt

Netbug
1 minute ago, Luke said:

How does the web app compare?

Sorry, how do you mean? Like try to run it through Chrome on the phone and stream from there to the Chromecast?

Netbug
Just now, Luke said:

I mean just playing in the web app 

Sorry, Luke. I don't mean to be ignorant, but Chromecasts don't have a browser as far as I'm aware. If you're asking if it works when playing through the webapp on my computer (at https://emby.media) the subtitles work fine.

Netbug

Quick update: separately downloaded SRT subtitles seem to work all right. One thing of note, is has been taking longer and longer for MKV movies to load to Chromecast. I'm not sure if that's related, but for example, a 17GB 1080P Justice League Snyder Cut takes between 5 and 7 minutes to load on the Chromecast.

Did you find anything of use from the logs I submitted?

Netbug

Just a quick follow-up to this; I don't know what the userbase size if for Chromecast, but for the past few releases I have had a lot of trouble with Chromecast from the android app. Along with the above mentioned subtitle issue, there are also extreme playback stutters and freezing. I've tested this on both a Chromecast Ultra and a Chromecast and the same issues are on both. When I play direct from my LG TV app, it works fine. All other devices and direct playback work fine. Just Chromecast integration.

Stuttering is usually a matter of the bitrate being too high for the connection and can be easily solved by lowering the chromecast quality setting.