No subtitles when streaming from mobile to chromecast

Highmere

Netbug
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Stuttering is usually a matter of the bitrate being too high for the connection and can be easily solved by lowering the chromecast quality setting.

But why would it work perfectly on the LG TV, but not the Chromecast Ultra? They're both hard-wired and it's the same TV. and the non-4K Chromecast has the same issue on another TV which it has never had before.

Edited by Netbug

Unfortunately there's not always an easy answer to that. Like for example you're saying hard-wired LG performs well, and yet there are many others who say it doesn't and that their LG performs better over Wifi. It's the sort of thing that can vary per environment. But that is the most common reason and solution for stuttering.

Netbug
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Unfortunately there's not always an easy answer to that. Like for example you're saying hard-wired LG performs well, and yet there are many others who say it doesn't and that their LG performs better over Wifi. It's the sort of thing that can vary per environment. But that is the most common reason and solution for stuttering.

I get it. I know you know more about the subject than I do, I just find it very odd that it was working fine, and then went sideways with no noticeable change. As I mentioned before, there was a firmware update to the Chromecasts. It's also not really stuttering... well, I mean i guess you could call it severe stuttering, but it's freezing for like 5-10 seconds every 5-10 seconds. And yeah, my LG is great for playback, but the app ont he LG is terrible. Can't browse the library at all for TV or Movies without it completely locking up.

Were you able to confirm the issue with the subtitles? Is there anything in the logs that is accounting for the problem?

Edited by Netbug

1 hour ago, Netbug said:

well, I mean i guess you could call it severe stuttering, but it's freezing for like 5-10 seconds every 5-10 seconds. 

That sounds like a different issue where either the file is transcoding and your system can't keep up (so it pauses).

1 hour ago, Netbug said:

I get it. I know you know more about the subject than I do, I just find it very odd that it was working fine, and then went sideways with no noticeable change. As I mentioned before, there was a firmware update to the Chromecasts. It's also not really stuttering... well, I mean i guess you could call it severe stuttering, but it's freezing for like 5-10 seconds every 5-10 seconds. And yeah, my LG is great for playback, but the app ont he LG is terrible. Can't browse the library at all for TV or Movies without it completely locking up.

Were you able to confirm the issue with the subtitles? Is there anything in the logs that is accounting for the problem?

Yes regarding the subtitles, we are looking into that.

• Like 1

Netbug
18 hours ago, cayars said:

That sounds like a different issue where either the file is transcoding and your system can't keep up (so it pauses).

That really is what it feels like, but it's so odd that it just started and it's just on one system (and it was showing as direct play, not transcoding). I'll leave it for now because other life priorities have taken over. Thanks very much.

Unfortunately sometimes the display can be wrong about how it's playing.  Next time you see this happen look on the server to see if an ffmpeg file is generated.

If so we can look at it to see how fast it's transcoding or if something is not working correctly.  If there isn't an ffmpeg log file then we need to explore other things to see what might be causing this.

• Like 1

Netbug
41 minutes ago, cayars said:

Unfortunately sometimes the display can be wrong about how it's playing.  Next time you see this happen look on the server to see if an ffmpeg file is generated.

If so we can look at it to see how fast it's transcoding or if something is not working correctly.  If there isn't an ffmpeg log file then we need to explore other things to see what might be causing this.

Will do. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon!

Out of the blue I'm experiencing the same issue. 

Has always been working fine until today. All of a sudden the subtitles won't show on my Chromecast anymore.

Tried with several movies, also with some movies I've watched with subtitles on Chromecast before. Not working for any movie or show at the moment.

I use SRT files, but am experiencing the issue with SUBRIP too. Both work fine on mobile & browser. Also disabled/enabled several transcoding options. None seem to make a difference.

I've attached the latest log files, if there's anything else you need, please let me know! (On a 3rd Gen ChromeCast with Emby Server 4.6.4.0) 

Hope there is a solution! 

Cheers, Joshua

emby_logging.zip

• Like 1

darkshifty

The same issue started to occur to us, we haven't changed a single thing and now casting with subtitles doesn't work anymore. The log files show no details other than the regular (as my IP is in there I won't share it)

• Like 1

Same here, I had given up on Emby because of another non related issue, that issue has been serolved, but now I found out there are no subtitiles displayed in chromecast. When playing on a browser I can see them with no problems. I use srt subtitles.

Hi, yes please try it again. The issue was related to an update I pushed late last night to our Chromecast receiver. Thanks.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, darkshifty said:

The issue has been resolved, thank you very much for the effort of fixing it!

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 years later...
Girgante

Hi, this is happening again: no subtitles when using chromecast - subtitles when using android app on the phone. Can you please check on the Chromecast receiver?

2 minutes ago, Girgante said:

Hi, this is happening again: no subtitles when using chromecast - subtitles when using android app on the phone. Can you please check on the Chromecast receiver?

@Girgante

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!