Question regarding streaming a .strm file

dshoup00

dshoup00

On the Nvidia Shield TV I have the server loaded with many strm files. When an Android client plays it back, the shield has to download the actual file before sending it to the client. Does the server download the file to ram or somewhere on storage? If it is on storage, is there a way to make them download to ram?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

HI, it doesn't really download the whole file, but rather it downloads pieces at a time and then streams those pieces. This will be in ram although if any transcoding is involved then it will also involve disk usage using the transcoding temporary folder. Does this answer your question?

dshoup00

So just to clarify direct stream uses ram but if transcoding is necessary then it'll download to storage instead and then broadcast it out.

Follow-up question. If only the container is incompatible, will the file need to download to storage or will it download/change container in ram?

If only the container is incompatible, will the file need to download to storage

Yes it will, but again, only pieces at a time so you won't have to wait for the whole thing to be downloaded.

dshoup00

Yes it will, but again, only pieces at a time so you won't have to wait for the whole thing to be downloaded.

Ok thanks. I'm just worried about my sdd's total write cycles.