Hebrew Subtitles: Request to correct the location of punctuation marks

AlderaaN

• 4 weeks later...
AlderaaN
On 8/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, Luke said:

Can you try this build of our android mobile app and see how it compares:

Thanks.

Hello,

OP here. I'd like to give Emby another go and assist with troubleshooting the punctuation marks rendering issues with Right-to-Left Hebrew Subtitles.

Per your request, I've downloaded and installed the latest Emby for Android Mobile apk that's available from Post #1 on your thread: v3.1.31
It exhibits the same punctuation marks rendering issues observed on Emby for Android TV.
However, Emby for Android Mobile v3.1.23 that's currently available via the Google Play store actually renders the subtitles perfectly.

Current set up and Hebrew Right-to-Left punctuation rendering issues results:

• Emby Server v4.4.3.0-1 installed on a Synology DS414 NAS.
  • Emby Theater v1.0.24 installed on LG Smart TV 65UM7340PVA | Software version 4.70.20 | webOS TV 4.7.0-50706 goldilocks2-gulaga - same issues.
  • Emby for Android v1.8.28g installed on Xiaomi Mi Box (not the newer Xiaomi Mi Box S) | Android v8.0.0 | Kernel v4.9.54 - same issues.
  • Emby for Android Mobile v3.1.31 installed on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra - Android v10 - same issues.
  • Emby for Android Mobile v3.1.23 installed on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra - Android v10 - no issues.

Regards,

Edited by AlderaaN

Thanks for the feedback. We can definitely fix android. LG unfortunately I'm not sure about, at least not without server transcoding which you may not like.

AlderaaN
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback. We can definitely fix android. LG unfortunately I'm not sure about, at least not without server transcoding which you may not like.

Thank you.

Emby Theater app on LG: Understood.
Transcoding: Unfortunately, that would not be possible with my particular NAS (Synology DS414) due to its processor being too weak to handle it.

Emby for Android Mobile: That's great news!
Emby for Android: Would you be able to fix this one out as well?

AlderaaN
26 minutes ago, Luke said:

We can definitely fix it on all android editions, yes.

Great!

Looking forward to test things out. Say when.

Regards,

This will be resolved in the next update to the android mobile app. It will get into the Android TV app as well but it will take a little longer. There's a long list of video playback improvements that the mobile app currently has but the TV app does not yet:

Once we're done with all of this with the mobile app, then we'll start porting the improvements into the TV app. Thanks.

• Like 1

AlderaaN

Hello @Luke

Thanks for today's Emby for Android Mobile v3.1.33 update.

Reporting back:
1. It resolves the punctuation marks location issue with Right-to-Left Hebrew Subtitles!
2. It introduces a new issue which I haven't seen before on Emby (any version/platform), where the encoding of said subtitles seems to be wrong and some of the characters are being rendered with irrelevant dots inside them:
yNr3Nid.jpg

This is from timestamp: 01:04:22,250 on the .SRT file from my OP in this thread.
The same issue is exhibited in every other movie I've tested.

Regards,

AlderaaN

Yes, just the "dots".

In Hebrew orthography, niqqud or nikud ("dots") is a system of diacritical signs used to represent vowels or distinguish between alternative pronunciations of letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

I can confirm, that all movies I've checked do not contain any inherent Hebrew vowelization "dots". This got "introduced" during the rendering process starting with Emby for Android Mobile v3.1.33 , and should not be present.

Edited by AlderaaN

• 3 months later...
EmbyUser112233

Hello @Luke,

I'm using Emby on Nvidia Shield TV PRO 2019 model, and the Emby Server is on my Synology DS920+ NAS.

The bug with the Hebrew subtitles is still present.

I'm playing MKV file with external SRT file with the same name.

img.jpeg

Edited by EmbyUser112233

On 12/17/2020 at 2:22 AM, EmbyUser112233 said:

Hello @Luke,

I'm using Emby on Nvidia Shield TV PRO 2019 model, and the Emby Server is on my Synology DS920+ NAS.

The bug with the Hebrew subtitles is still present.

I'm playing MKV file with external SRT file with the same name.

img.jpeg

Hi, what version of the app are you running?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
AlderaaN

Greetings,

The issue with the "dots" inside letters I've reported here (same thread) remains. Could someone please work with us to have it resolved?

Using:
NAS: Synology DS414
Server: v4.5.4.0-6 ARMv7 for Legacy devices.
Playback via: Emby for Android v3.1.80 on a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.

Edited by AlderaaN

AlderaaN
On 3/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, AlderaaN said:

Greetings,

The issue with the "dots" inside letters I've reported here (same thread) remains. Could someone please work with us to have it resolved?

Using:
Server: v4.5.4.0-6 ARMv7 for Legacy devices.
Playback via: Emby for Android v3.1.80 on a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.

Hello,

Apologies for double-bump.

Would like to note that the issue which I've reported in the OP is recurring.

Using:
Server: v4.5.4.0-6 ARMv7 for Legacy devices.
Playback via: Emby for Android v3.1.80 while casting into Xiaomi Mi Box S device.

• 2 weeks later...
adihecht

So I've started using Emby this week and have also encountered the problem where punctuation is rendered incorrectly for Hebrew subtitles, If there are line breaks in the subtitle.

Using Emby for Samsung Tizen (2020 model).

But then I noticed, the line breaks themselves do not appear where they should be. I.e., the line is breaking after a fixed amount of characters - regardless of where the line break is specified in the .srt file.

Then I also noticed, the same thing happens in English .srt files: the line breaks do not appear where they are specified in the srt file, but rather, after a fixed amount of characters. In English, this is easy to miss, because it does not cause any punctuation problems.

But this only happens for external .srt files!

After experimenting, I found out that if the srt file is embedded within the media file (i.e., muxed within the mkv file) - then the subtitles are rendered correctly. Whether they are in Hebrew or English...

So I'm thinking this might be an issue with the app rendering the subtitles only when they are external subtitles?

Would like to have this fixed, because it is annoying to mux the .srt files into the media files everytime...

4 hours ago, adihecht said:

So I've started using Emby this week and have also encountered the problem where punctuation is rendered incorrectly for Hebrew subtitles, If there are line breaks in the subtitle.

Using Emby for Samsung Tizen (2020 model).

But then I noticed, the line breaks themselves do not appear where they should be. I.e., the line is breaking after a fixed amount of characters - regardless of where the line break is specified in the .srt file.

Then I also noticed, the same thing happens in English .srt files: the line breaks do not appear where they are specified in the srt file, but rather, after a fixed amount of characters. In English, this is easy to miss, because it does not cause any punctuation problems.

But this only happens for external .srt files!

After experimenting, I found out that if the srt file is embedded within the media file (i.e., muxed within the mkv file) - then the subtitles are rendered correctly. Whether they are in Hebrew or English...

So I'm thinking this might be an issue with the app rendering the subtitles only when they are external subtitles?

Would like to have this fixed, because it is annoying to mux the .srt files into the media files everytime...

Hi, yes we are looking into the line break issue. Thanks for reporting.