Emby Android App on Chromebook = Surround Track for Sound???

troyhough
Go to solution Solved by troyhough,

teiva

Devices

Emby Server 4.4.2.0

Pixel XL (QP1A.191005.007.A3)

Pixel 2 XL (QQ2A.200405.005)

ChromeOS (Version 81.0.4044.127 )

Sony WH-1000XM3 Bluetooth headphones (current firmware 4.2.2)

Actual Behavior:

It's as if the left and right speakers are playing sound but the center dialogue speaker is not coming through. It's actually been like this for a while now. Sorry for not reporting sooner.

When does the dialogue sound work...

1. Pixel XL / Pixel 2 XL (alone)

2. ChromeOS (alone)

3. ChromeOS + Sony headphones via bluetooth

When does the dialogue sound not work...

1. Pixel XL / Pixel 2 XL + Sony headphones via bluetooth

All scenarios were tested with the same video. When it doesn't work ...it doesn't work with all AC3, eAC3 & DTS audio codecs. 

@@Luke - Isolated the setting that is causing the issue. HD Audio: LDAC (enabled by default) tunes out the main dialogue channels for a lot of my media. Disabling the setting allows the dialogue audio to come through. 

post-149765-0-46427400-1587991635_thumb.png

Edited by teiva
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
troyhough

Just grabbed my Chromebook. Updated it to latest Chromebook update, rebooted. Updated all apps (including Emby) in the Play Store. Still only plays the surround track. Bug still exists  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
EvilxBanana

Same issue with emby app on pixelbook2017, web version is OK.

Netflix is missing from my Play store.

Note to myself, don't buy hardware related to google.

• Like 1

GLant80

This isn't an Emby issue. It's a Chrome OS issue. Plex does the same thing. Chrome OS does not support multi channel audio streams. There is early support for it in Canary, so it may come down the line in the next release or two, from what I've read. If you drop your quality down to 480p your audio stream will play in the app, but your picture quality won't be great. An option to downmix the audio stream to stereo would solve the issue, but if Chrome OS is going to add support for surround in the near future, it may be a pointless effort. 

• 4 weeks later...

For those impacted by this, if you'd like to test something new, please participate here:

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Solution
troyhough
On 6/30/2020 at 8:30 PM, GLant80 said:

This isn't an Emby issue. It's a Chrome OS issue. Plex does the same thing. Chrome OS does not support multi channel audio streams. There is early support for it in Canary, so it may come down the line in the next release or two, from what I've read. If you drop your quality down to 480p your audio stream will play in the app, but your picture quality won't be great. An option to downmix the audio stream to stereo would solve the issue, but if Chrome OS is going to add support for surround in the near future, it may be a pointless effort. 

I just grabbed my Chromebook, updated to the latest Emby stable and did a Chrome OS update. The audio now works.

Only problem now is the exact same issue seems to be present using the Web app on Chrome/Android Direct Playing H264 files.

Edited by troyhough

• 1 month later...
troyhough

Just tested this again with the web app on Android with chrome and brave browsers. Only getting the surround track, no main dialogue track when Direct Playing H264 files.

Tried MS Edge browser and seems to be working properly. Do you know what the problem is and who i can submit a ticket to?

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
On 5/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, Luke said:

Is it direct playing?

Nope. Transcoding .TS file

Edit: Yes. Direct Playing H264 files.

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
On 5/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, Luke said:

ffmpeg log?

Sorry I meant Direct Playing H264 files for the issue where the main dialogue track (center channel info) is missing when playing with the Chrome Web app. (It works in MS Edge).

The issue where video sometimes stop playing, sputters, freezes in the web app (both Chrome and MS Edge) I bet is due to the same bug where you randomly just lose connection to the server. I posted the error and video of it here:

Edited by troyhough

On 5/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, Minari004 said:

Hi there, how can we help you?

troyhough
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, how can we help you?

He asked if the issue had been resolved for me (it hasn't). He then deleted the message and sent it to PM.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, troyhough said:

I bet is due to the same bug where you randomly just lose connection to the server. I posted the error and video of it here:

I doubt it. If it's direct playing, then you could easily test by playing on the local network.

• 2 months later...
troyhough

This problem also still persists! Fired up the Emby app on 2 different Chromebooks. Tried playing several different movies and no voice (dialogue) from any of them. Can only hear the surround channel. Makes Emby useless on Chromebooks 👎

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 2:26 PM, troyhough said:

This problem also still persists! Fired up the Emby app on 2 different Chromebooks. Tried playing several different movies and no voice (dialogue) from any of them. Can only hear the surround channel. Makes Emby useless on Chromebooks 👎

We'd have to look at a specific example but I just tested a number of different files on a two year old Chromebook and did not see any problems. This is both direct play and when transcoding. Tested with both surround aac and ac3 tracks. Please don't point me to the other topic as that is about the web app and this is about the android app. Thanks.

troyhough
21 hours ago, Luke said:

We'd have to look at a specific example but I just tested a number of different files on a two year old Chromebook and did not see any problems. This is both direct play and when transcoding. Tested with both surround aac and ac3 tracks. Please don't point me to the other topic as that is about the web app and this is about the android app. Thanks.

I just grabbed my Chromebook Spin 713 i5 and made sure it was fully updated including the apps and Emby (3.2.11 Emby for Android).

Did some testing. The issue is still there. Tested 2 different 265 files (Transcode only, probably a Chrome OS limitation?) and a 264 Direct Play. All did the same thing, no main voice dialogue, still.

There seems to be a NEW problem now too. When navigating around in Emby after you move away from the initial start-up screen, the mouse cursor now disappears when it hovers over anything in Emby.