8K video format support

emea.alu

Yes, it should be working.  We will work out why.

A sample would be great, but I understand your issue.

I'm testing with this sample. http://images-assets.nasa.gov/video/First-8K-Video-from-Space/First-8K-Video-from-Space~orig.mp4

This might actual be beyond the TV specs.

But, if you can get a short (30 second) sample recorded in the same format that you can share privately, that would be appreciated.

emea.alu

But, if you can get a short (30 second) sample recorded in the same format that you can share privately, that would be appreciated.

You know what? I do remember using this video to test the TV initially, before I got the file I need to use now. And I probably already have it on a drive somewhere, or I can download it again anyway.

I should be able to copy the file to the server and test to see if it behaves the same, hopefully tomorrow morning.

I can also verify if it will play properly in the TV browser and confirm whether it is within specs. That should be enough to get you going hopefully, as I will not be able to get a sample re-encoded, unfortunately.

I just downloaded the file to the server (remote access is such a wonderful thing!) and here is the file information from the web player

Mes Médias

Administrateur

First-8K-Video-from-Space~orig

3m

Se termine à 22:51

Ajouté le 02/11/2018

Vidéo:

Audio:

Informations du média

Vidéo

Title 4K HEVC

Codec HEVC

Étiquette de codec hvc1

Profil Main

Niveau 186

Résolution 8192x4096

Ratio d’aspect 2:1

Anamorphique Non

Entrelacé Non

Images par seconde 23,976

Débit 138 356 kbps

Couleurs primaires bt709

Espace colorimétrique bt709

Transfert de couleur bt709

Format des pixels yuvj420p

Images de référence 1

Audio

Title English AAC stereo (Default)

Langue English

Codec AAC

Étiquette de codec mp4a

Profil LC

Disposition stereo

Chaînes 2 ch

Débit 317 kbps

Taux d’échantillonnage 48 000 Hz

Par défaut Oui

Conteneur mp4

Chemin /var/www/html/First-8K-Video-from-Space~orig.mp4

Taille 3127MB

Edited by emea.alu

FrostByte
resolution: 7680x4320

buffer size: 7880x4320

Is the buffer size typically larger than 8K?  I don't see buffer size on any of my 4K movies.  That's from the original file.

emea.alu

resolution: 7680x4320

buffer size: 7880x4320
Is the buffer size typically larger than 8K?  I don't see buffer size on any of my 4K movies.  That's from the original file.

Are you sure this is 7880 and not 7680? This looks like a frame buffer holding 1 frame...

This is embedded in the video file and it is what is causing the crash?

Edited by emea.alu

FrostByte

I don't know if it's causing the crash, but it came from what you posted earlier.  I've never seen that before.

emea.alu

I don't know if it's causing the crash, but it came from what you posted earlier.  I've never seen that before.

Right, that was VLC actually, not Emby, and the typo is mine so the buffer matches the resolution.

I know a couple people at Videolabs and will ask what the value means. In the meantime maybe you want to check one of your files with VLC and see if the tools/codecs information displays the same (buffer==resolution).

For my part, I've checked a couple 4K files I had lying around and VLC shows a buffer value identical to the resoution for those as well.

Edited by emea.alu

emea.alu

I've PMed you the logs when playing the ISS file. Behaviour is basically the same. Play does not always start, but when it does I get a few bars of the soundtrack on a black backdrop. Playback stalls after a while.

• Like 1

I've PMed you the logs when playing the ISS file. Behaviour is basically the same. Play does not always start, but when it does I get a few bars of the soundtrack on a black backdrop. Playback stalls after a while.

Perfect, thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, get on this topic as I can't play 8K video files

It seems i use the right codec but it says it can' read. I have a QE65QN800A . I am on emby for Tizen 1.4.2 latest version

here is the TV media spec : https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2021-tv-video-specifications.html

I should be able to play a mkv HEVC 8K files ...   up to 60 frame per seconds and 100Mbps bitrate.  but I don't. 

here is log file attached

log without IP.txt

Edited by romaing
add details

So what happens when you try to play it?  Can you please go through a specific example with media info, error messages, etc?

when I try to play, it says (translated from french) : read error,  no stream available . please contact your administrator

here is media info :

Titre8K HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Niveau180
Résolution7680x4320
Ratio d’aspect16:9
EntrelacéNon
Images par seconde23,976
Débit27 mbps
Couleurs primairesbt709
Espace colorimétriquebt709
Transfert de couleurbt709
Profondeur des échantillons10 bit
Format des pixelsyuv420p10le
Images de référence1

Edited by romaing

Are there any ffmpeg logs on the server, or just the server log?

Have you tried any other 8K content with the app?  Do they all fail, or just this one?

I tried several. all are failing. I tried an AV1 file also 

it's the server file. I have no ffmpeg logs at the same time.   I have ffmpeg logs but older than the issue.

should I active something to get it ?

8 hours ago, romaing said:

I tried several. all are failing. I tried an AV1 file also 

it's the server file. I have no ffmpeg logs at the same time.   I have ffmpeg logs but older than the issue.

should I active something to get it ?

No, nothing to activate. It should just work, but except for an issue when 8K models were first released, there haven’t been any other issues raised.  That means normally 8K works fine, or no one is using it. 

Can you please attach the media info for a sample file?

I have sent already media info on previous message.  what do you mean by media info ? something else than below

Titre8K HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfilMain 10
Niveau180
Résolution7680x4320
Ratio d’aspect16:9
EntrelacéNon
Images par seconde23,976
Débit27 mbps
Couleurs primairesbt709
Espace colorimétriquebt709
Transfert de couleurbt709
Profondeur des échantillons10 bit
Format des pixelsyuv420p10le
Images de référence1

Edited by romaing
  • Like 1

Can you enable debug in the server log and try playback, then send me the log. It will have more detail which might help

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you enable debug in the server log and try playback, then send me the log. It will have more detail which might help

Something come to me. May it come from my server hardware ?  I use a Synology DS218 play 

5 hours ago, romaing said:

Something come to me. May it come from my server hardware ?  I use a Synology DS218 play 

Hi, what do you mean "come from server hardware" ?

Do you mean ‘is it possible that the DS218 isn’t capable of serving this file to the TV and is preventing playback?’

It is possible, but it is only 27Mbps, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I think the server log with debug might help us to understand 

1 hour ago, SamES said:

Do you mean ‘is it possible that the DS218 isn’t capable of serving this file to the TV and is preventing playback?’

It is possible, but it is only 27Mbps, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I think the server log with debug might help us to understand 

yes that's it. ok I will redo test and send server log with debug 

here is the log file in debug mode for title : iceland 

media info

Titre8K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profil Main 10
Niveau 183
Résolution 7680x3228
Ratio d’aspect 640:269
Entrelacé Non
Images par seconde 59,94
Débit 27 mbps
Couleurs primaires bt709
Espace colorimétrique bt709
Transfert de couleur bt709
Profondeur des échantillons 10 bit
Format des pixels yuv420p10le
Images de référence 1

It seems enabledirectplay=false . Is it the issue ? but why it is not enabled ?

log debug.txt

Edited by romaing

Are there any ffmpeg logs?

I can see that it is trying to transcode due to a 'DirectPlayError'.  This is a generic error generated by the TV player when there is an error trying to play the file.  As a result, the server will try and transcode, but if appears that must be failing as well.

The ffmpeg logs might tell us more

6 minutes ago, SamES said:

Are there any ffmpeg logs?

I can see that it is trying to transcode due to a 'DirectPlayError'.  This is a generic error generated by the TV player when there is an error trying to play the file.  As a result, the server will try and transcode, but if appears that must be failing as well.

The ffmpeg logs might tell us more

no ffmpeg logs appears

transcode should fail because of my hardware (ds218 play) I think it can"t transcode 8K files

Edited by romaing