8K video format support

emea.alu

emea.alu

I am trying to play an 8K video file (hevc in mp4 container) through Emby player on a Samsung QE65Q900R 8K TV, when I try to open the file, it is listed as 4K hevc then when pressing play I get the spinner then a black screen. The progress bar shows that Emby is "playing" the file, though and no errors are displayed.

Is 8K support planned in the near future? Or am I doing something wrong?

My excuses if this has been covered before, but 8k is too short to search in the forum and google searches did not yield much...

François

Edited by emea.alu
  • Like 1

emea.alu

Hi, does your tv support this?

Yes it does, the QE65Q900R is the first 8K QLED from Samsung.

And the file I'm trying to play in Emby plays fine if placed on a webserver and accessed from the Samsung medi a player integrated in the browser.

There is nothing in the app that should prevent it from playing.  Do you get audio and progress on the progress bar, or is it stuck at in one position?

emea.alu

Can you post the media info from the bottom of the page on the web client?

According to the link below it can --assuming the fps and everything else is correct

https://developer.samsung.com/SmartTV/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications.html

As I said, the TV is not the issue, it is the Emby player that seems to be lacking the capability to play 8k files...

In the web client, when I try to play the file, I get the spinning wheel on a black backdrop, no info displayed at the bottom of the window.

The file is encoded at 100Mb/s if it makes a difference

Thanks

François

FrostByte

As I said, the TV is not the issue, it is the Emby player that seems to be lacking the capability to play 8k files...

In the web client, when I try to play the file, I get the spinning wheel on a black backdrop, no info displayed at the bottom of the window.

Thanks

François

I never said the TV was an issue.  In fact I said it should work. 

I did ask for the media info though

• Like 1

emea.alu

There is nothing in the app that should prevent it from playing.  Do you get audio and progress on the progress bar, or is it stuck at in one position?

Actually, I cannot even get the progress bar to show, and there is no audio.

One more thing, the video is shown with a thumbnail consisting in the first frame of the video, so that at least gets decoded...

François

emea.alu

I never said the TV was an issue.  In fact I said it should work. 

I did ask for the media info though

Sorry if I came out the wrong way, did not mean to be rude, but your link sent me back to a page with the specs to the TV and it got me confused. :(

I'm not sure what you call the web client (very new to Emby), so I logged into my account, coonected to the server and clicked on the file there. I do not see the media info anywhere once I do that. All I see is before I try to play the file, and it just tells me this is a 4k hevc file with english audio (it's only music but who cares).

I have the file on my laptop, maybe there is something I can check that would explain the behaviour)?

From VLC:

Stream 0

Codec: MPEG-H part2/HEVC (H.265) (hev1)

language: english

Type: video

resolution: 7680x4320

buffer size: 7880x4320

fps: 50

decoded format: 

orientation: top-left

Stream 1

Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

language: english

Tye: audio

channels: stereo

sampling rate: 48000 Hz

bits per sample: 32

François

Edited by emea.alu

FrostByte

Sorry if I came out the wrong way, did not mean to be rude, but your link sent me back to a page with the specs to the TV and it got me confused. :(

I'm not sure what you call the web client (very new to Emby), so I logged into my account, coonected to the server and clicked on the file there. I do not see the media info anywhere once I do that. All I see is before I try to play the file, and it just tells me this is a 4k hevc file with english audio (it's only music but who cares).

I have the file on my laptop, maybe there is something I can check that would explain the behaviour)?

François

I probably should have tagged Luke because the specs were meant to show him your TV supported 8K :)

On the server once you're at the details page for the movie scroll all the way down to the bottom.  There should be a section labeled Media Info.  If you could make a screenshot of that part and post it may help

FrostByte

Can you possibly post the log during the time it's playing?  Server log may help and any transcode or remux logs it may have created. 

emea.alu

Can you possibly post the log during the time it's playing?  Server log may help and any transcode or remux logs it may have created. 

I'll try to get that tomorrow, when I have access to the TV again.

emea.alu

I probably should have tagged Luke because the specs were meant to show him your TV supported 8K :)

On the server once you're at the details page for the movie scroll all the way down to the bottom.  There should be a section labeled Media Info.  If you could make a screenshot of that part and post it may help

That explains it, then! ;)

We must be talking of two different things. What do you mean by "on the server"?

I'm logged in the server with the connect account, and can play the video in the browser. It actually displays it as 4k 120Mbps. But there nowhere to scroll down to and nothing more displayed.

So the web interface plays the file in my laptop browser but the Tizen app does not...

Hold on, I take that back! You can see the info before you play the file... Now I get it!

Informations du média

Vidéo

Title4K HEVC

CodecHEVC

Étiquette de codechev1

ProfilMain

Niveau183

Résolution7680x4320

Ratio d’aspect16:9

AnamorphiqueNon

EntrelacéNon

Images par seconde50

Débit100 081 kbps

Format des pixelsyuv420p

Images de référence1

Audio

TitleEnglish AAC stereo (Default)

LangueEnglish

CodecAAC

Étiquette de codecmp4a

ProfilLC

Dispositionstereo

Chaînes2 ch

Débit128 kbps

Taux d’échantillonnage48 000 Hz

Par défautOui

Conteneurmp4

Chemin/var/www/html/ParisLogoFTVLab8kUHD-50fps-100Mbps.mp4

Taille2404MB

Edited by emea.alu

emea.alu

Actually, I cannot even get the progress bar to show, and there is no audio.

One more thing, the video is shown with a thumbnail consisting in the first frame of the video, so that at least gets decoded...

François

I must have been doing something wrong yesterday... today, I cleared the logs and restarted the server then tried to play the video on the TV. This time I get a progress bar, and I did get the first half dozen bars of the audio.

I've got an archive of all the files in the logs folder, is there anything I should trim out of the files, and what's the preferred way to share them on here?

François

Edited by emea.alu

What is the network adapter speed on that TV?  Aren't most of them only 100?

emea.alu

What is the network adapter speed on that TV?  Aren't most of them only 100?

Good call ;)

I was shocked to find out the One Connect box sports a 100M only LAN port, and found out since that LG is no better in that respect. :(

In order to properly play the file in the TV browser I have to go through WiFi. Over LAN it plays but frequently freezes...

So I'm not using LAN at all today.

François

FrostByte

Probably why the specs say that 100 Mbps is the max bitrate for streaming 8K, unless there is another reason 8K can only be streamed at 100 Mbps

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Do you have any other 8K files with similar specs, but lower bitrate you can test with?  That file is kind of pushing the limits on what the manual says your TV supports.  

Maybe try with your One Connect box. 

Edited by FrostByte

emea.alu

Do you have any other 8K files with similar specs, but lower bitrate you can test with?  That file is kind of pushing the limits on what the manual says your TV supports.  

Maybe try with your One Connect box.

I don't think so. That file plays perfectly in the browser integrated player. I've also seen this TV playing similar content encoded at ~200Mb/s from USB.

Unfortunately I only have the one file I need to get working (tis is a work related propject). I guess I can download something from Youtube and try it but that will have to wait until next month unfortunately.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok thanks, ya I've played 4K movies beyond what my manual says it can do also with no problems.

The only difference is that Emby is streaming where as in your USB scenario it's coming right off your drive and the network isn't in play

Edited by FrostByte

I suspect it is failing DirectPlay for some reason and falling back to remux or transcode then crashing.

I can reproduce this crash if I try and play it on my 4K.  I need to find out why the fallback isn't working.  

Then we can work out why it won't DirectPlay

emea.alu

Ok thanks, ya I've played 4K movies beyond what my manual says it can do also with no problems.

The only difference is that Emby is streaming where as in your USB scenario it's coming right off your drive and the network isn't in play

Indeed, but that was with the 200Mb/s encoded file.

The 100Mb/s encoded file plays fine in the browser embeded player over WiFi from a http server.

emea.alu

I suspect it is failing DirectPlay for some reason and falling back to remux or transcode then crashing.

I can reproduce this crash if I try and play it on my 4K.  I need to find out why the fallback isn't working.  

Then we can work out why it won't DirectPlay

I guess that is what you see from the logs. That is excellent news since I take it to mean it should be playing rather than it is not supported yet! :)

I would share the file with you expect I really can't unfortunately as this is copyrighted :(, but hopefully you can work enough from what I provided to get over it.

I guess that is what you see from the logs. That is excellent news since I take it to mean it should be playing rather than it is not supported yet! :)

I would share the file with you expect I really can't unfortunately as this is copyrighted :(, but hopefully you can work enough from what I provided to get over it.

Yes, it should be working.  We will work out why.

A sample would be great, but I understand your issue.

I'm testing with this sample. http://images-assets.nasa.gov/video/First-8K-Video-from-Space/First-8K-Video-from-Space~orig.mp4