Episode sort order is out of kilter

Doctor Bob
Go to solution Solved by Doctor Bob,

MikeyMan

Don't know what happened here... Thought i'd posted a reply with screenshots last week. 

Ah well, been a bit busy, so i'll try again...

BTW; difficulty with posting screenshots is that my HTPC is rather built in with only a Logitech Harmony remote. So it a bit difficult to post screenshots with android phone...

Anyway; here we go.

First off; this setup has been running like this for many, many years now. Never had any issues with sort ordering. 

In none of my series, even the older ones without any issues, there is a sort order in the metadata. For instance:

Episode 7:

post-1804-0-82458900-1583394103_thumb.png

Episode 8:

post-1804-0-00973200-1583394089_thumb.png

Looking at the fact that all recent episodes are out of order, something else must be going on. By the looks of it from somewhere mid november.

Correcting them manually is not an option whatsoever.

Theme i'm using is the regular chocolate. There is no setting there that i can find changing the order.

Edited by MikeyMan

Don't know what happened here... Thought i'd posted a reply with screenshots last week. 

Ah well, been a bit busy, so i'll try again...

BTW; difficulty with posting screenshots is that my HTPC is rather built in with only a Logitech Harmony remote. So it a bit difficult to post screenshots with android phone...

Anyway; here we go.

First off; this setup has been running like this for many, many years now. Never had any issues with sort ordering. 

In none of my series, even the older ones without any issues, there is a sort order in the metadata. For instance:

Episode 7:

attachicon.gif2020-02-28 08_52_50-Start.png

Episode 8:

attachicon.gif2020-03-05 08_40_15-Start.png

Looking at the fact that all recent episodes are out of order, something else must be going on. By the looks of it from somewhere mid november.

Correcting them manually is not an option whatsoever.

Theme i'm using is the regular chocolate. There is no setting there that i can find changing the order.

What version of emby server?

Hi Luke; i'm always up to date. I'm now on 4.3.1.0. 

Are you running the beta of EMC?  If not, please try updating to that.

MikeyMan

Are you running the beta of EMC?  If not, please try updating to that.

Was on Stable, now upgraded to Beta.

I'm afraid that's still the same issue i'm afraid.

• 11 months later...
Doctor Bob

I re-install my Windows Media Center, Emby server and Emby for Media Center (EMC).
A fresh installation of Windows 7x64bit. So everything is new out of the box.

Now the "out of kilter sort order" is back and this time my previous solution did not work.

My current version of Emby:

image.png.b84dee514073ae96ec92d565462b056d.png

My current version of EMC:

image.png.628e3bca63fdb7bffd396846d660e0ad.png

Episode sort order: 3, 9, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Not right!

image.png.0cb8d98ed5d959d783e739185853779d.png

Here is my TV Show Library configuration

image.png.50e3011996887dc332b4aec08ca0a87c.png
image.thumb.png.f1b5dbfd312e618ba15eaca96a86adac.png
image.thumb.png.8a8672350ee3ce9b0c48cbe5fd9908b0.png
image.png.d3e6632410d25b8a7f7e1805bdeb4dba.png

image.png.bc28058b1612cff2e323a9f7be21bdbc.pngimage.thumb.png.deabe2107a971d2388e50e4b83b52341.png

I have tried with meta saves Nfo enabled and disabled
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Robert

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

Doctor Bob

Hello Luke,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Here is what I see when I navigate to The Stand 2020 via my web browser (Firefox 85.0.2 (64-bit)):

image.thumb.png.ce2cd361a94b9454d57e9680da41a606.png

It appears to be sorting in a normal ascending manor.

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, how does the web app compare?

Didn't we already determine this was probably going to need a server-side hack for EMC?  I'm pretty sure it is due to the sort changes related to sorttitle in 4.5.x.  EMC is assuming episode sort title will sort in order.

Doctor Bob

Yes, I just re-read this post and came across One2Go's entry.

ebr, is this the EMC hack you are referring to?

Following One2Go's solution I navigated to my TV Show library in the Meta Manager and expanded "The Stand 2020".

image.png.aa01bd4f216051720bb1eba151f7fc96.png

I selected each episode and filled in the "Sort title:" field with the episode number followed by the episode name (01 - The End), saved the change and moved on to the next episode.

image.thumb.png.5475ea13c9b3efbb811f4cef21e3ad20.png

This worked. When I opened EMC and navigate to "The Stand 2020" Season 1, the episodes appear in a ascending order (1 - 9). All good.

However, One2Go states that this is a rare issue "When Emby populates the fields in the metadata manager it may not always get it 100% right but it is rare that the episode order it incorrect. However for some obscure and foreign TV shows I have found this to be the case."

I reviewed all of my TV shows and discovered that they all have the same issue.
Now adding text to the "Sort title:" field to force a sort works but it is a long and tidious process for 51 TV shows with seasons anywhere from 1 to 20 seasons.

Why is there this disconnect between EMC and the Emby Server and is there a better way of resolving this issue?

Well, yes, that is a way you could do this manually but I think we need to do it automatically.  As time allows, I will look to see just how deeply embedded this assumption is in EMC to see if it is practical to try and fix it there.

Just to give my thought to this. Since I have not updated my server since early release of version 4 because the present setup is just fine for EMC and does everything for my HTPC. However to reduce any additional possible hiccups I let Media Center Master do all the meta data fetching then using the XML plug-in EMC will import it and for movies I am adding the SortTitle tag to the XML file. So far this has served me well and since EMC is near EOL it deserves to consider staying with a server version that works to one's liking.

To further just add to the woes that windows 7 users may experience CBS All Access / Paramount+ stopped working with any browser on Windows 7 PCs sometime in December. Their dumb support couldn't fix it and just said it no longer works on Windows 7. On Reddit one disgusted user found the solution to just install in the Chrome Browser the extension User Agent Switcher. Now my browser announces itself to CBS All Access / Paramount+ as Chrome 88 running on Windows 10 and presto it works. We who still work with Windows 7 need starting to find workarounds or stay at versions or combination of versions / setups that work.

Just to give another idea that may help. I am using the latest Emby server on a Qnap NAS which is being used for live TV and quick viewing of content by my Roku, Roku TV, Chromcast and other devices. This allows me to keep up with Emby while not interfering with my Home Theater setup, HTPC with an Emby server and EMC client that allows for full Blu-Ray playback and runs the most excellent Throgsoft themes. Side benefit is WAF and she doesn't have to learn a new way of getting her content.

Edited by One2Go

Doctor Bob

I thought that perhaps if I cleaned out my library  content it may resolve this issue.

I deleted all metadata files and folders and all images files. After I finished the clean out I was left with just the media files.
I then re-scanned all libraries.
Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue.

However, I did notices that the right side panel shows the season episodes in order while the expanded left side season list shows the episodes in a random order (as usual). Just hold on, I now see that the episode list is not in random order but in alphabetical order.

image.png.cebfb6ab318bfe2ce98486634c9d3766.png

Just thought I would throw this out there in case it may provide a clue into what is going wrong.

Edited by Doctor Bob
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  Yes we know what is going wrong.  It is a change to the server made recently that EMC is not aware of.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, ebr said:

I'm pretty sure it is due to the sort changes related to sorttitle in 4.5.x.  EMC is assuming episode sort title will sort in order.

• Like 1

MikeyMan

Would be great if this could be fixed. In my opinion WMC with EMC is still (by far, very far!) The best solution out there. 

All the alternatives I've tried are all so crap if I'm honest.

Doctor Bob
3 minutes ago, MikeyMan said:

Would be great if this could be fixed. In my opinion WMC with EMC is still (by far, very far!) The best solution out there. 

All the alternatives I've tried are all so crap if I'm honest.

I agree hands down.
I will put it out there for anyone to come up with a better solution then Emby and EMC.

One2Go says, "So far this has served me well and since EMC is near EOL"

I sure hope EMC is not near EOL, that would be a disaster!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Doctor Bob said:

I agree hands down.
I will put it out there for anyone to come up with a better solution then Emby and EMC.

One2Go says, "So far this has served me well and since EMC is near EOL"

I sure hope EMC is not near EOL, that would be a disaster!

In my comment I meant to say that since at the present there is no development going on for EMC (latest version 2018/07/01) this indicates to me EMC's days are numbered and I understand and support that since the Devs need to spend their time and efforts on products and features that is in demand by the public. Unfortunately the Home Theater and Windows Media Center users are in a minority and becoming fewer and fewer. For me therefore the time has come to stop upgrading the Emby Server on my Windows 7 NUC and stay with the latest EMC version and an early version 4 server. It does everything that I like, with the exception of the Weather app @ebr any chance to fix that? The eye candy is good the playback in PDVD and MPC is flawless. Life is Good 🤗

7 hours ago, One2Go said:

with the exception of the Weather app @ebr any chance to fix that?

I'm afraid not. That is a moving target that we just cannot afford to try and stay up with.  Sorry.

This is what Throgmorton posted that the Devs would need to do:

The actual code for gathering the weather resides all in the core WMC program I just call functions to display it in my themes.  So I believe to get this functional again the admins would have to register an app with yahoo and then they will send an email asking for access to yahoo-weather-ydn-api@Oath.com.  After which it would just be a matter of redirecting the call within WMC core to the new RSS feed as it still seems to use the WOEID to identify the location.

I (Throgmorton) pulls weather data from the core so it needs to be fixed there. Basically they just need to register the app and request access to weather from yahoo in order to get the access codes.

Is that too much of a hassle to implement?

Doctor Bob
16 hours ago, One2Go said:

I understand and support that since the Devs need to spend their time and efforts on products and features that is in demand by the public.

Is the public moving more towards phone apps and web browser access to the Emby Server? I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur 😀.

dansblackcat
On 19/02/2021 at 05:53, Doctor Bob said:

Is the public moving more towards phone apps and web browser access to the Emby Server? I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur 😀.

I loved EMC, used it for 10+ years and never wanted to use anything else.  I ended up forcing myself to gradually start using Emby Theatre.  I hated it at first, mainly I guess because it was different and not what I was used to.  I slowly began getting more and more used to it.  I now rarely (almost never) find myself using EMC, in fact if it wasn't for Live TV I probably wouldn't use Media Centre at all.  I also set up my media centre remote so that I can launch Theatre.

MikeyMan
7 hours ago, dansblackcat said:

I ended up forcing myself to gradually start using Emby Theatre.  

At the same time; if you have to force yourself; the interface is probably less user friendly ;)

My main reason for using WMC is simply; user friendliness with my IR remote on my HTPC.

14 hours ago, dansblackcat said:

I loved EMC, used it for 10+ years and never wanted to use anything else.  I ended up forcing myself to gradually start using Emby Theatre. 

What device did you use to watch the Emby Theater on and if it is a HTPC what type of themes?

Would one of you please try this and see how it compares?

Thanks.

Edited by ebr
removed attachment