Episode sort order is out of kilter

Doctor Bob
Go to solution Solved by Doctor Bob,

Doctor Bob

I have since reverted to and remain on version 4.0.1.0 due to other EMC issues.

image.png.bed19481da001cb2aa05fffbe90b774a.png

All my TV show episodes sorted in order on the initial library setup and index. However, after I added new episodes to the TV show library the new episodes did not fall into order as you can see here.

image.png.e36df85daa0c06f25c80f329592f3ea3.png

I tried installing "MCE318.msi" but that did not make a difference.

Trying to tame Emby and EMC is like playing Whack-a-Mole. Solve one issue and another pops up.

I can live with this issue but thought I would throw it out to the community.

Regarding episode sort order, you'd be fine with the upcoming 4.6 release and the latest emc update.

Doctor Bob

Thank you for that, Luke. I will give it a go on a VM to see if it resolves the issues before appyling it to my Media Center PC.

One2Go

All I can add is this whatever is in the sort field when bringing it up in the meta data manager, that will determine the order of which it is being displayed. For this reason all my meta data is in xml files under the folder metadata in the season folder. I have to make sure that the file name is exactly like the xml file name. Then the import plug-in will import the data and it works for me every time. Just finished the "Exterminate All the Brutes" and no issues. After everything is to my liking I lock the meta data update, because the next time you scan the library you do not want any changes being made to your hard work.

For EMC I do run version 4.0.1.0 plus EMC version0.317 never a problem or an issue sorting in both TV type library as well as Mixed Content library.

MikeyMan
11 hours ago, ebr said:

What is in the SortTitle field of the episodes that sort incorrectly?

Where do you mean?

image.png.3443690cea26cb6f8280af567dec849a.png

Sortorder is empty here. In the XML i dont see a sort order.

I removed all XMLs and had emby refresh all metadata, but problem persists.

Edited by MikeyMan

One2Go

I am taking a very wild guess here, one additional factor could perhaps be the none English language, but I have absolutely no facts for that except this reasoning because EMC has not been further developed since 2018 and as the server version advances no one is testing the older EMC version against the newer server version in all its different permutations.

Your metadata manager shows the correct entries for Season and Episode numbers and should sort correctly on the episode number. I have for a different show the identical entries and they show correctly in EMC, However any entries in the "Sorteer titel" will force a reorder of episodes as it is the primary index for sorting. If it is blank it should use the episode numbers. Try this enter into the "Sorteer titel" field for an episode number like 5 or later and put a 1 in it. After restarting EMC and see if that episode is now displayed as the first entry.

I have used the "Sorteer titel" to force reordering of episodes and seasons of a show because I didn't like the default and I didn't want to create additional seasons. For example "Inspector Montalbano" has 15 seasons and most of the seasons are 2 episodes long. I decided to divide them into 3 seasons, so I modified the seasons entry and the episode entries to a sequence that I like and not the aired sequence, totally fictitious on theTVdb. This is the brilliant part of Emby it is totally customizable. If you decide early on to stick with "Sorteer titel" entries per episode than you only have to do the extra manual work when adding new shows or episodes.

Doctor Bob
On 4/16/2021 at 10:40 AM, Luke said:

Regarding episode sort order, you'd be fine with the upcoming 4.6 release and the latest emc update.

Luke, any idea or estimate when Emby 4.6 and the new EMC will be released?

3 hours ago, Doctor Bob said:

and the new EMC will be released?

We are not going to put out a release of EMC because the majority of people still using it are probably on an older server version and some of these changes would break things for them.  You can install from the post earlier in this thread for now and we may push this as the new beta EMC once 4.6 is out.

4 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

I'm not going to go through a couple of hundreds of episodes to force the sort order

Can you try just a handful to see if it solves the problem?

One2Go
7 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

@One2Go I'm not going to go through a couple of hundreds of episodes to force the sort order if you dont mind ;)

If every single series and their seasons has episode disorder, then you are truly screwed, however speaking from experience, I only had to do that with a few seasons of shows and mostly they were German shows. Ever since than I checked once a season is completed if the sort order is correct if not, I force the sort order by entering numbers in the field, but to go through your entire TV library would also be for me a none started because life is too short to futz around with TV episode sorting. By the way my TV episodes count is approaching 1500 and every single season is in proper order. Sargent Schulz: You Will be in order!!! 😂

Edited by One2Go

• 1 month later...
bluegloom

The most recent upgrade has introduced this problem to my entire collection. All episodes are now sorted alphabetically by title and not by number.

I checked my metadata and nothing uses the sort title field, and everything appears correct in web interface and other apps. 

Using EMC 3.0.317 with Chocolate theme, but can duplicate in neo as well. 

Hopefully there's a solution soon. Thx.

1 minute ago, bluegloom said:

The most recent upgrade has introduced this problem to my entire collection. All episodes are now sorted alphabetically by title and not by number.

I checked my metadata and nothing uses the sort title field, and everything appears correct in web interface and other apps. 

Using EMC 3.0.317 with Chocolate theme, but can duplicate in neo as well. 

Hopefully there's a solution soon. Thx.

HI, did you see @ebr's post that is two above yours?

bluegloom

I did, but did not recognize it's significance until you pointed me to it.

I downloaded and installed the 318 version from here 

Works perfectly again, thanks for quick reply!

ampersand

This issue cropped up for me yesterday (episodes showing in alphabetical rather than chronological order). The fix provided by @ebr above resolved the issue. An additional note for anyone stumbling across this from google, you need to log in to the forum to access the EMC218.zip file.

amack

Good to hear the fix is working.  Mine did this yesterday.  To clarify this is a client update not a server update, correct?

17 hours ago, elhuevon said:

To clarify this is a client update not a server update, correct?

Yes, you'll need to install EMC from the previous post.

amack

Downloaded and installed on both of my HTPCs.  One auto logs in as an limited rights user, while the other client has admin rights.  The sort order was fixed immediately on the admin account while the other had to be switched to the admin account before the change took effect.  I should also note that I use the Classic theme on both devices but the sort order issue was happening on both classic and chocolate.

• 4 weeks later...
dannyvl

The fix for order works, but unfortunately this version doesn't have "Legacy Browsing" option. Is this on purpose?

One2Go

If you search for "legacy Browsing" you will find that this has been removed in the newer server versions, only the early version 4 server versions allow for legacy browsing.

• 2 weeks later...
arcsum68

EMC218 also failed for me but fixed my sort order. 

Still working on my thumbnails not displaying properly for the unwatched quick list. 

kevinXYZ

Good afternoon.  I've been trying to find EMC218.zip to try to fix this problem.  I crated a user ID on this site as instructed.  I tried the search field.  It leads me to this thread but not to the actual file.  Would appreciate a little guidance.  Many thanks.