need meda center?

roberthleeii

Deihmos

Media center is the way to go imo. It just works and it will playback all the channels if you are using a cable card and you get guide data without a hassle unlike nextpvr. Also much easier to setup.

Sent from my HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC using Tapatalk

krustyreturns

More generically, you'll need backend pvr software to enable live tv, because mb3 uses the backend software to provide live-tv to its client apps.  Currently for mb3, the backend choices are wmc or nextpvr.

Also you need tuner hardware and broadcast sources.

It just works and it will playback all the channels if you are using a cable card ...

Incorrect. Both the ServerWMC and NextPVR backends are limited to copy-freely channels with a cablecard setup. Neither can stream copy-once/copy-never channels to MB3.

Edited by sub3

Deihmos

I know that. I was referring to wmc not the serverwmc plug in. It is the best option for the backend if you are using a cable card.

I don't see anyone using those their main TV viewing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

Vidman

Media center is the way to go imo. It just works and it will playback all the channels if you are using a cable card and you get guide data without a hassle unlike nextpvr. Also much easier to setup.

Sent from my HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC using Tapatalk

I found nextpvr easy to set up and have no issues with epg

Deihmos

I found nextpvr easy to set up and have no issues with epg

WMC is easier and nextpvr does not include epg for free but I'm happy it works for you. It cannot playback copy once channels if using a cable card but wmc can.

WMC is easier and nextpvr does not include epg for free but I'm happy it works for you.

It depends where you are in the world. A lot of countries, like the UK, NextPVR gets a couple of weeks of EPG data from the broadcasts, without the user having to do anything.

It cannot playback copy once channels if using a cable card but wmc can.

Just to be clear for other users - they wont get this playback of copy-once channels/recordings in MB3 regardless of what backend they choose. Edited by sub3

Deihmos

What do you mean it does not include EPG for free?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

You have to pay a provider for the epg data after the free trial for the USA. There was some hack to get the epg data from wmc but then what's the point. Not sure how you think nextpvr is easier to setup than wmc but I guess everyone is different. In wmc all you do is input your zip code and everything else is set up for you.

http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.XMLTVEPG

emveepee

There are certainly are "free" EPG choices in North America for NextPVR too, but like the EPG data that is extracted by ServerWMC it arguably could mean breaking EULA's.

Also WMC is good value but not free in Windows 8, you either need Pro or the $10 WMC Addon

Martin

Deihmos

Good thing I got Win 8 when it was cheap and included wmc.

Vidman

You have to pay a provider for the epg data after the free trial for the USA. There was some hack to get the epg data from wmc but then what's the point. Not sure how you think nextpvr is easier to setup than wmc but I guess everyone is different. In wmc all you do is input your zip code and everything else is set up for you.

http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.XMLTVEPG

I did not say it was easier as I have no point of reference as I have never spent any time on wmc...I was just letting the op know nextpvr is by no means difficult to setup... In my experience;)