Web app to Chromecast without SSL!

Wavecrest

Wavecrest

Thought I'd share this workaround I just found since I had not seen it elsewhere (not that I ever looked very hard), and the other thread I posted it in started in 2016, so it probably wasn't originally about the current issue. I'll just copy and paste from my other post in that thread:

So, the issue is that the web app on a remote device (e.g. my laptop) cannot cast to Chromecast without an SSL certificate, which is cumbersome to create. However, the webapp does recognize, and can can cast to, other active devices on the network. And the mobile apps can cast to Chromecast just fine, somehow. So what you can do is: 1) cast to Chromecast with the mobile device; then 2) use the web app on the remote device to "cast to" the mobile device. "Cast to" is in scare quotes there because the media does not end up playing on the mobile, it plays on the Chromecast. So the result is you end up being able to use the remote device to control Chromecast, I guess through the mobile app.

Still seems like an unnecessary step to me, but it works! Again, thanks to the admins for their patience explaining all of the above to me, especially if this is something already known that I was just missing. Oh, and if this is something that might be deemed a bug or vulnerability, then PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST and do not "fix" it (at least not without first fixing the SSL certificate problem), because it is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks y'all!

TL;DR:

How to cast to chromecast with the web app without having to create a security certificate.

Step 1: cast to Chromecast with your phone.

Step 2: cast to your phone with the web app.

I'd be interested to know if there were any prior discussions about doing this this way, and to hear about any issues other users experience using this method. (For example, I hope I don't have to keep my phone awake for it to work!) 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
ricketyca

I am fascinated by your approach! Of course, I imagine that the two steps are "necessary" each time because otherwise the Chromecast would be "connected" to the phone all the time. Yet we have several devices from which we would normally cast. So I am toying with the idea of using an old spare phone as "Chromecast_TV_proxy" and let devices cast to that.

• 3 weeks later...
troyhough
On 2/1/2020 at 5:48 PM, Wavecrest said:

Thought I'd share this workaround I just found since I had not seen it elsewhere (not that I ever looked very hard), and the other thread I posted it in started in 2016, so it probably wasn't originally about the current issue. I'll just copy and paste from my other post in that thread:

TL;DR:

How to cast to chromecast with the web app without having to create a security certificate.

Step 1: cast to Chromecast with your phone.

Step 2: cast to your phone with the web app.

I'd be interested to know if there were any prior discussions about doing this this way, and to hear about any issues other users experience using this method. (For example, I hope I don't have to keep my phone awake for it to work!) 

Any way you can put together a short video showing this?

Wavecrest
On 18/08/2020 at 10:55, troyhough said:

Any way you can put together a short video showing this?

I don't know how I would do that, sorry. If I were that technologically proficient, I'd probably just create a security certificate!

The way I do it is pretty simple though. I've got Emby open on both my phone (in an android app) and my computer (in the web app). On my phone, I press the cast button, and choose the device I want my media to play on. Then on my computer, I press the cast button and choose my phone. The result is that I can control the playback device through the web app on my computer.