dannymichel

Confession from a Former Jellyfin User

pwhodges
55 minutes ago, Chyron said:

You also said in another thread that you hate popup animations in forums (specifically this one) because it wastes milliseconds of your time navigating threads.

In this new forum every click I make, to open a post, or to return to the thread list, takes a bit longer to respond than it did in the old forum.  If there had been upgraded hardware at the same time as the software, maybe I wouldn't have noticed, but in fact I find it a little irritating.  However, I have also been able to arrange my forum viewing so that I need less clicks anyway, which adequately compensates. 

But the thing is, it takes very little extra sluggishness to be really noticeable.  When I was first programming an OS in the 1970s I set myself a target that no command would ever cause a delay of more than a second before there was a response.  We now have processors 100,000 (up to 2,000,000, but I can't afford them) times faster than I was using, but I now routinely have to wait multiple seconds for a response.

There is a balance to be found between computer power and the glitz of an interface, and these days the glitz is getting a bit ahead...

Paul

ebr
14 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If there had been upgraded hardware at the same time as the software,

We actually did upgrade the hardware.  However, there is a lot more involved than just the back end server.

I think probably the additional delay you are perceiving now is due to the fact that the forum now refreshes as you go back.  The old one did not -  you got stale data from the cache.

But, just like people work - software tends to consume the resources available to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cayars

I'd still like to see the mock up myself.

There was a lot I did like in those screen shots.  To me they were mostly subtle things that could be done in Emby (if so chosen to do) that wouldn't be over the top changes.  To me many of the changes were just small refinements of what's already in Emby.  More like "tweaks" if you will.

Some things with a mix of poster and landscapes on the same page have always bothered me a bit but you have to factor in the meta-data (graphics) that you have to work with.  Posters are easy to get for Movies but landscape images are mostly used these days for TV Show Episodes.  That type of things often requires the design yo have to used mixed graphical content even if you don't want to.

As a long time user of both Plex and Emby I much prefer Emby over Plex 90% to 95%+ of the time.  What at first might seem more appealing in a Plex UI often has far less information on it than the equivalent Emby page requiring me to navigate to another page to see that info making the interface less usable.  I tend to have to click far more in Plex than in Emby to view the same info or to play media.  Trying to navigate my media is much easier in Emby which was a big draw for me years ago when I switched over to the green side permanently as my main server.  I actually used to run both at the same time and allowed my users to choose which they used on any of their clients.  When Plex wasn't getting used anymore the choice had been made by my users and I concurred...

dannymichel

I actually have been working on the mockup.
thank you 

Just been a bit busy

Riggs
5 hours ago, cayars said:

I'd still like to see the mock up myself.

There was a lot I did like in those screen shots.  To me they were mostly subtle things that could be done in Emby (if so chosen to do) that wouldn't be over the top changes.  To me many of the changes were just small refinements of what's already in Emby.  More like "tweaks" if you will.

Some things with a mix of poster and landscapes on the same page have always bothered me a bit but you have to factor in the meta-data (graphics) that you have to work with.  Posters are easy to get for Movies but landscape images are mostly used these days for TV Show Episodes.  That type of things often requires the design yo have to used mixed graphical content even if you don't want to.

As a long time user of both Plex and Emby I much prefer Emby over Plex 90% to 95%+ of the time.  What at first might seem more appealing in a Plex UI often has far less information on it than the equivalent Emby page requiring me to navigate to another page to see that info making the interface less usable.  I tend to have to click far more in Plex than in Emby to view the same info or to play media.  Trying to navigate my media is much easier in Emby which was a big draw for me years ago when I switched over to the green side permanently as my main server.  I actually used to run both at the same time and allowed my users to choose which they used on any of their clients.  When Plex wasn't getting used anymore the choice had been made by my users and I concurred...

I only want a theme without extreme contrast in between. An elegant and very care about colors. All Emby themes are too dark or too light. There's nothing in between. They have a high contrast between the color interface and the posters. Soft colors will be nice in the interface. 
Not all people can support that. All eyes are different, we just at least one option.

Thanks.

Painkiller8818

Just a quick question to the custom CSS function.

This is just for the Web GUI or are the other devices (TV, Phones etc.) also pulling the customized designs from the server?

thanks

ebr
2 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Just a quick question to the custom CSS function.

This is just for the Web GUI or are the other devices (TV, Phones etc.) also pulling the customized designs from the server?

thanks

Just the web.  There is an entire forum section dedicated to this feature.  Thanks.