Confession from a Former Jellyfin User

dannymichel

artstar
On 3/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, chef said:

The dashboard interface has changed a lot too. If you look at the layouts in the beta server, there has be obvious enhancements.

The libraries we define to bring into dashboard pages have gotten a lot better. 

it has entire element libraries specific to it's layouts (emby-buttons, emby-inputs, emby-toggles).

Personally, I have no dog in the fight, so I was merely presenting opposing views from that other community but I'm already sold on Emby anyway. Any improvements thereafter, such as what's presently in the beta, is a bonus to me. I'm generally not inclined to run betas though, so I'll gladly wait until the next stable release to enjoy those. :)

• Like 2

chef
8 hours ago, artstar said:

Personally, I have no dog in the fight, so I was merely presenting opposing views from that other community but I'm already sold on Emby anyway. Any improvements thereafter, such as what's presently in the beta, is a bonus to me. I'm generally not inclined to run betas though, so I'll gladly wait until the next stable release to enjoy those. :)

Absolutely 😆👍 I just thought that if you ever read that somewhere, and felt like it, you could use some info as a rebuttal. Lol! 

• 9 months later...

this is by far the funniest read here on site...  🤣 🤣 🤣

for a second I thought I'd chime in, but I rather just watch and have some popcorn... 🍿

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
amateurgod

I've been reading through this thread for abit and wanted to add my input.

I've used Plex for over a decade, started to have issues with it lately so looked at emby, after some people in the discord which I originally didn't realise was unofficial told me to "use jellyfin it's better" I decided to try both out after a few weeks of trying them both out on different devices I can say emby just works better, jellyfin is fine if you want free software and only use your browser, but it's slow and clunky, the android TV app is a mess and the Dev for that closes bug reports claiming they are intended features. So I have 0 hope of that improving and the mobile android app is also just a buggy mess. 

Multiple times on jellyfin I've had the apps crash or have playback errors because for some reason the jellyfin server couldn't even encode audio or subtitles, on a 3.6Ghz 32 core server it struggled to encode subs or audio. Or it would just stop playing mid movie or TV show. 

Not once has any of these issues happened to me on emby, yes it's closed source, yes it's not free, but why are people so against paying Devs for their time? I wonder if those same people are against paying any other employee for their time and think everyone should just work for free. 

@Cheesegeezermakes a really awesome plugin which I must admit I love as it gives my home theatre a more cinema esq vibe. 

And if jellyfin being a fork of emby is what emby was like years ago, then I think the Devs have came a really long way and made a lot of improvements over the years, and they deserve to be rewarded/paid for that, so well done to them for both the work they've done and having the guts to say enough is enough and making there code closed source and making some money from their hard work 

Oh and to the guy who originally made this thread, thanks you really pulled everyone together but your definitely not an award winning designer and from a purely marketing perspective (now I only work in marketing I'm not claiming to be some super awesome award winning marketer because I'm not) your "improvements" to the look of emby from what I can see in your screenshots are outdated and horrible.

From a marketing point of view the reason why rounded edges and glossy highlights are used in most products today (idk if it's the same reason emby picked them) is because they give a subconscious feeling of class and elegance. 

Look at everything we have today, cars have curves, phones have curves, everything has curves, you don't look at a box and go wow that's elegant do you? 

The shape of objects and designs have a subconscious impact on how we view that product and can ultimately help us form a subconscious opinion of whether we will like said product or not before we've even used it, this is the same for colours, fonts and everything else. But as an "award winning designer" I'm sure you allready know that. 

Edited by amateurgod
Fix some spelling mistakes
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Dreakon13
10 hours ago, amateurgod said:

jellyfin is fine if you want free software and only use your browser

This is basically where I sit with it.  It's a bit frustrating really the way people see using Jellyfin as a cause (supporting open source, supporting free, turning the screws on Emby for going closed, etc), and in support of that cause intentionally mislead people acting like Jellyfin isn't a mess outside of a few select use cases.  I get why they want the project to be a success, I honestly agree with the importance of transparency in software like this which (albeit better than Plex by virtue of having less to hide) Emby lacks... but it is a bit ironic they demand transparency from the developers, while scrambling to cover up or downplay its many shortcomings from new/prospective users.

I tried it, I had to stop because the memory leaks were too bad and the client support just wasn't there.  It's not really useful to me if it can't work efficiently without frequent application/NAS reboots and half of my family can't use it, among a number of other things that didn't really work.

Edited by Dreakon13

I installed Jellyfin alongside Emby last night (Emby was there first, on Win 11, and exactly the same library of movies and tv shows), and I noticed 3 things that made me decide not to use it, straight away:

1. It took a very long time for JF to scan my library. Emby was much faster.

2. Folder size.
Emby's data at "AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server" folder : 548 MB while JF's data at "Jellyfin/Server" - 2.16 GB. That's huge difference!

So I looked a bit deeper and found the metadata folder took 2 GB with:
Jellyfin/Server/metadata/library - 1.14 GB
Jellyfin/Server/metadata/people - 881 MB

While Emby's library folder is only 30 MB and people folder only 5.97 MB. I don't know, maybe I miss something here?

3. JF has a bug on its home regarding Latest TV Shows. My "Latest TV Shows" only show 1 item. It turns out that if you add a TV Show with more than 150 episodes (CMIIW), then only that show is displayed in the "Latest TV Shows". The problem exists since 2019 and still not resolved until this day.
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/1880
https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/2711#issuecomment-792580526

For me Emby is the clear winner.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I still use the same key that I got from Ebr as a gift from way back on 2010/2011 for testing "CoverArt".

*I hope Ebr do not see this* :)

• Haha 3

On 2/4/2023 at 7:04 AM, Abobader said:

I still use the same key that I got from Ebr as a gift from way back on 2010/2011 for testing "CoverArt".

Something tells me you've earned that key multiple times over.

That's probably one of the earliest keys created.  No wonder you look so old in your pic, you've been around forever. LOL

• Haha 7

CBers
23 hours ago, cayars said:

Something tells me you've earned that key multiple times over.

That's probably one of the earliest keys created.  No wonder you look so old in your pic, you've been around forever. LOL

He's only 21 😇

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
On 04/02/2023 at 12:04, Abobader said:

*I hope Ebr do not see this* :)

Abo... I love you brother!!  You always make me smile!! 

Stay safe and i have to agree with Cayars and definitely Keith on your age 🤔

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Abo... I love you brother!!  You always make me smile!! 

Thanks buddy, same here as well old bud!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Stay safe and i have to agree with Cayars and definitely Keith on your age 🤔

You too buddy!

Thanks for the age matters, I start to believe I am young now :)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
35 minutes ago, Abobader said:

@Cheesegeezer You know buddy, any time I heard about sea storm or something, I just wish you are at your holiday at that time, you always keep me worry.

That’s very thoughtful Abo and thank you.

Yep it can be wild at times, but I’ve moved up in the ranks now and only go on Land Jobs and am the Boss now so i can choose if i go on jobs or send an engineer. Mostly i send an engineer. I let my offshore survival run out in December so doubt i will get on a chopper again lol.

so all good my man!!!

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
dance4ever

whew - reading through this thread is making me feel better about sitting tight and not spending the time to tinker around with Jellyfin (I’m with @Gilgamesh_48on an endless quest to explore new things lol)

I’ve been using Emby to repurpose an old skool mac mini server for the last few years and I have to admit it’s fit the bill quite well. I’m particularly super happy how easy and trivial it is to run two instances of Emby at the same time on the same server and have them both startup on boot with proper permissions without having to log in.  Tech support has been more than excellent so props up to @Luke!

ps. while I don’t consider myself an award winning designer - I do feel I have an appreciation for design and think Emby is great for what it is. I have experienced way worse software and products to nitpick on - Emby has been a fairly polished experience for the most part that I readily recommend it!

Edited by dance4ever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tedfroop

Jellyfin is great - if you are a coder and you want to make it "yours" plus put up with the quirks that inevitably come from open source.

Plex is great if you are a mindless drone or such a complete luddite you want to push an button and it all works AND you are willing to put up with totally useless new features and a design that is evolving into mobile use.

Emby is for watching media.  It lets you set it up based on what you want, its simple but complex where it needs to be.  Plus even in the months since I became a premium member there has been positive evolution in the design.  But that's not what I'm here for,  I'm here so I can decide what meta matches my media - that's one of the biggest reasons.  That and pick what you need and want.  Plus meta for personal files where you can add Grandma, as a actor,  add a picture,  and video,  and a bio, and click to find all the media with her in it,  and add tags to sort by whatever,  and make it easy to use,  which beats the hell out of the other guys.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
dkm430

I'm new to the world of media servers, and went for Jellyfin initially -- just because I find something about Plex very distasteful (there's a whole lot of stuff bolted onto that thing that I absolutely do not want). Jellyfin was nice and it worked, but for me the dealbreakers were the awful apps and the difficulty in setting up remote streaming. I have a lot of stuff in the Apple ecosystem, and Jellyfin does not play nice with those at all -- so it ends up being a question of whether I care deeply enough about open and free software to either justify using terrible apps or subscribing to Infuse Media Player, a closed and paid app. If I'm gonna do that, might as well cut out the middle man and go for the service with a paid tier. And frankly, I don't care about open and free that much: I hate apps that require permanent subscriptions, but paying $100 or so for a lifetime license for software like this seems completely reasonable.

Plus, just the thought of getting my partner set up on her iPad/iPhone for remote streaming was enough to make me switch on its own. Sitting her down and explaining remote proxies and port forwarding to her would make her (justifiably) break up with me. Easy remote streaming is a completely essential service for me, and it's wild that no one brings it up. Like, it needs to have either that or downloading transcoded files for offline playback. Having neither makes that whole thing pretty unusable for me.

20 hours ago, dkm430 said:

Easy remote streaming is a completely essential service for me, and it's wild that no one brings it up. Like, it needs to have either that or downloading transcoded files for offline playback. Having neither makes that whole thing pretty unusable for me.

Emby should have both of those. I'll preface that, by saying remote streaming should be easy to use once remote access is setup and working. :)

• Like 2

tedfroop
On 28/05/2023 at 13:42, Carlo said:

Emby should have both of those. I'll preface that, by saying remote streaming should be easy to use once remote access is setup and working. :)

Strangely, I prefer Emby's "you have to set it up yourself"  to the mystery of how others "just connect".  How it "just connects" they never really specify but it concerns me in the same way many " and then magic happens" computer solutions.

Emby was pretty easy, and DDNS keeps it simple to connect.

I was only talking about the remote streaming being easier, not getting remote setup. :)

darkassassin07
On 6/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, tedfroop said:

Strangely, I prefer Emby's "you have to set it up yourself"  to the mystery of how others "just connect".  How it "just connects" they never really specify but it concerns me in the same way many " and then magic happens" computer solutions.

Emby was pretty easy, and DDNS keeps it simple to connect.

I'll definitely second that thought.

If you didn't have to open ports and setup remote access yourself, you can be pretty sure you're actually accessing it via a third party/man-in-the-middle that you don't see/control.

In other words; If I didn't open the door, but people are still getting in, somebody else must be letting them in (and in turn gets to see all the traffic as it comes/goes). I'm not at all comfortable with that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2