Artist Images not showing up

bschelew

bschelew

Just installed Emby (Nice media server by the way. I like it better than Plex which I've used for years).

I use a flat mp3 library structure. My mp3 metadata is all customized using Mp3tag V3. For the most part, the fields Artist, Album artist and Album are identical, i.e., the name of the artist. (Don't ask!) For artists that have a lot of songs, I do break out the songs into their respective albums by inputting the album name into the album field. I never use metadata scrappers.

Mp3tag allows one to input album cover artwork. I can have one image for the artist and various images for the various albums and the artis as well as album images show up using Windows Media Player, iTunes and Plex.

In Emba, there are no album artists or artists images showing up. But once you click through to the actually mp3, the album artwork shows up.

So I'm adding artist images manually to the Artist/Album Artist icons and, although tedious, it works.

Here's the thing.... I'm going to be replacing this old desktop with a nice new desktop (well a re-furbished old one if the truth be known.)  My concern is that I get Emby all looking great on this computer and when I install Emby on my new one and setup the path to my music, these manually uploaded images will be nowhere to be found.

Hopefully, they are all stored somewhere in a local folder that if I locate and copy over to my new computer, presto! Done and done.

Where are the uploaded artist images located exactly?

I've poked around and found what appears to be all my album images in Username/Appdata/Roaming/Emby-Server/programdata/metadata/library.

Happy2Play

Sorry but /metadata/library does can not transfer to a new installation as all of those folders are database ids so they do not work in any other database besides the one they were created for.  You could transfer the entire \Emby-Server folder assuming media paths are not going to change.

But you can/should be able to use the back and restore option in the People Backup plugin.  Previous discussion here.

You would need to go over specific folder structure and library setup option.

bschelew

So if I transfer the entire \Emby-Server folder and have the media paths identical to the old desktop will this solve the problem?

I read the discussion thread and found no mention of the 'People Backup plugin' you mentioned.

Where can I get it and if U use it, will it solve the problem as well?

Happy2Play

So if I transfer the entire \Emby-Server folder and have the media paths identical to the old desktop will this solve the problem?

I read the discussion thread and found no mention of the 'People Backup plugin' you mentioned.

Where can I get it and if U use it, will it solve the problem as well?

If paths are identical then you should have no issues copying one to the other.

Plugin is in the plugin catalog.  Dashboard-Plugins-Catalog-General

bschelew

Whoa! Man that's a lot of Plugins! Who knew?

Thanks for your incredibly fast help on this.

For greater certainty, can you tell me the location of the where the folder(s) are located on my local drive that have the artist images + database id's, etc. that need to be copied over to my new desktop.

B

Edited by bschelew

• 2 weeks later...
bschelew

Can you tell me the location of the where the folder(s) are located on my local drive that have the artist images + database id's, etc. that need to be copied over to my new desktop.

It would be under the server's metadata/artists folder. The path to the metadata folder is displayed on the front page of the emby server dashboard in the Paths section. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Happy2Play

This almost sounds like this old topic with image path issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63573-36051-metadata-people-empty/?p=631143

So if I transfer the entire \Emby-Server folder and have the media paths identical to the old desktop will this solve the problem?

It really depends on how old the installation is/was.   As the database could have wrong paths.

bschelew

Couldn't make any sense whatsoever out of Happy2Play's link. No idea what to do with that information.

"It really depends on how old the installation is/was.   As the database could have wrong paths."

My initial installation (the old computer) was done a week or so ago so the path would be the most recent. 

"The path to the metadata folder is displayed on the front page of the emby server dashboard in the Paths section. Please let us know if this helps."

Went to the front page of my emby server dashboard. Couldn't find any Paths section anywhere on the front page or within any of the side menu items.

Don't know why this is so complicated and convoluted

All I need to do as I understand it is locate the folder where the artist images + database id's are stored on my old emby server's computer and copy them over to the new installation on my new emby server computer.

Can't anyone at Emby simply tell me where the artist images+database id's (and anything else I'll need to make this work) are stored? Or even just the name of the folder(s) and I'll simply search for them.

Happy2Play

Well a new install does not contain a \metadata\artists folder any more.  Just like People images they were merged into the \metadata\library folder by a database id or something like that.  So you would have to query the database to see what subfolder applies to your specific artist.

There is not way to search these folder as Artists no longer equals folder.

But the People backup plugin can back them up to a location of your choice, in a usable folder structure.  But that only applies to ones already in your database.

As for Paths it is on everyone's Dashboard.

This a beta server but stable is similar.

5e472e2a5f117_path.jpg