This seems legit

mastrmind11

lightsout

I saw that. Strong not for consumer usage warnings. But not sure it would matter. Curious what the performance would be like. Netflix 4k/HDR. I know it says certified but not sure.

Q-Droid

Nice to see that there's still support from Google. It would be even nicer if ASUS got into the Android TV retail set top market.

What do they mean by, "only for developers that want to test out their apps"?

Does it not have Play Store access?

mastrmind11

What do they mean by, "only for developers that want to test out their apps"?

Does it not have Play Store access?

Likely not, which I'm guessing is why they say "not for consumers".  But a sideload of emby, etc is a few keystrokes away.  Given the MiBox bullshit upgrade cycle, it might be worth it, though having to pull it out from behind a tv every time there's an emby/netflix/prime update would definitely be a pita.

• Like 1

Likely not, which I'm guessing is why they say "not for consumers".  But a sideload of emby, etc is a few keystrokes away.  Given the MiBox bullshit upgrade cycle, it might be worth it, though having to pull it out from behind a tv every time there's an emby/netflix/prime update would definitely be a pita.

Will the apk work? It is written for ATV 9.

mastrmind11

Will the apk work? It is written for ATV 9.

I mean, once it's out for 10.  But who knows, I'm not an android dev so I can't really speak to whether there are major differences in the apis.

If it is like the original ADT-1 that they put out before there were any Android TV boxes, then it is a legit box.  I still have that old one somewhere I think but Google stopped supporting it a long time ago.

• Like 1

lightsout

Seems odd that we don't have any "cheap" hardware options for ATV.

The Shield is cheap enough imo that its worth it. But something for not so important rooms or setups would be nice.

I am not a huge fan of the firesticks.

I got a MiBox from WallyWorld before Thanksgiving for $35. Just got AndroidTV 9 on it and that brought a legit PrimeVideo app. Pretty happy with this device. I suggest taking a look at it.

Edited by Sammy

mastrmind11

I got a MiBox from WallyWorld before Thanksgiving for $35. Just got AndroidTV 9 on it and that brought a legit PrimeVideo app. Pretty happy with this device. I suggest taking a look at it.

yeah I have the pre-s mibox, still no prime video, sadly.

The Shield is cheap enough imo that its worth it. But something for not so important rooms or setups would be nice.

How cheap do you need it?  The Mi can be had for $60 bucks without discounts.  That's dinner for one night for a family...

clarkss12

For purposes of Emby ATV version, there are less expensive options.  I know people HATE those "cheap Chinese" boxes, and I will probably get flamed, but some/most of them are superior to the Xiaomi Mibox/S and the Ematic Jetstream.  These "cheap Chinese" boxes have come a long way, and there are ATV ports for a lot of them.

Yes, the Nvidia Shield is the King of Android boxes, but mine is collecting dust.  I only use it for testing or comparisons....  The Shield is the box I recommend for friends and family, that are clueless about local media, and only know streaming.....

Q-Droid

For purposes of Emby ATV version, there are less expensive options.  I know people HATE those "cheap Chinese" boxes, and I will probably get flamed, but some/most of them are superior to the Xiaomi Mibox/S and the Ematic Jetstream.  These "cheap Chinese" boxes have come a long way, and there are ATV ports for a lot of them.

Yes, the Nvidia Shield is the King of Android boxes, but mine is collecting dust.  I only use it for testing or comparisons....  The Shield is the box I recommend for friends and family, that are clueless about local media, and only know streaming.....

That's fine as long as expectations are set to the right level. If you want to tinker and spend the time to get one working then the cheap Android boxes can be ok. There is good hardware out there but the software is where most problems lie. Non-certified boxes and software builds can cause issues with many official apps. A box that can support local media but is crippled for streaming media and official apps would be unacceptable for most people.

lightsout

Isn't it only 100mb ethernet? And can it do netflix 4k/hdr?

Isn't it only 100mb ethernet? And can it do netflix 4k/hdr?

IDK. I've only used it to take on trips and watch in hotel rooms thus far; plus I only have 2 4k TV's neither of them HDR.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

lightsout

IDK. I've only used it to take on trips and watch in hotel rooms thus far; plus I only have 2 4k TV's neither of them HDR.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I see. Sounds like it would be perfect for traveling.

Isn't it only 100mb ethernet?

Just wondering:

1. Do you have media with more bitrate?

2. If not, when would you expect 100mbit to be a bottleneck for the client?

lightsout

Just wondering:

1. Do you have media with more bitrate?

2. If not, when would you expect 100mbit to be a bottleneck for the client?

Yes 4K UHD blu ray rips can exceed 100, it may not be a sustained 100mb bitrate, but there are often bursts.

On my TCL 4 series the internal Roku has only 100mb capabilities. And I get buffering fairly often with Emby.

Yes 4K UHD blu ray rips can exceed 100, it may not be a sustained 100mb bitrate, but there are often bursts.

On my TCL 4 series the internal Roku has only 100mb capabilities. And I get buffering fairly often with Emby.

I think only a Shield will have a chance at performing with content that intense.  Most of these boxes are designed for content ~20-30Mb/s max.

I think only a Shield will have a chance at performing with content that intense. Most of these boxes are designed for content ~20-30Mb/s max.

Nah, the Mi Box plays my GoPro clips just fine with 60mbit, 4k, h265 and 60fps using 5GHZ WiFi.

Using 5Ghz WiFi should give you way more than just 100mbit

lightsout

I think only a Shield will have a chance at performing with content that intense.  Most of these boxes are designed for content ~20-30Mb/s max.

Yeah the reality that I would watch those remuxes with one of these is honestly pretty slim, my main concern would be that it could do full quality Netflix and Prime, which I believe the MiBox S can do?

my main concern would be that it could do full quality Netflix and Prime, which I believe the MiBox S can do?

Yes, that should be no problem.

mastrmind11

Any limitations to be aware of with emby? Live tv concerns?

Nope, everything works great

• Like 1