WMC Client Dev Status?

dados

Hi, at this point not for new features but we are still supporting it. Please note you need to use the beta version of emby for wmc for compatibility with the latest server release.

Speaking of compatibility with the latest server release:

I am running the latest beta of the WMC client.  I am currently running Server Version 3.5.1.0 and all is working fine, so I never upgraded any further.

However, as it's been awhile, I decided to upgrade  to the latest server 4.3.1.0 a week or so ago.

I immediately noticed that my external media players, PowerDVD and Total Media Theater (TMT), would not function at all.

Do the new releases of Emby Server not support external players configured in the WMC configurator any longer?  It appears that the server now ignores anything set up in the WMC configurator.   Thankfully, I backed up the previous 3.5.1.0 installation and was able to restore fine.  All works again and my external media players now operate as before.  If this is the case, I will then just stay with this version of Emby server to retain the external players function.

I am running the latest beta of the WMC client.  I am currently running Server Version 3.5.1.0 and all is working fine, so I never upgraded any further.

However, as it's been awhile, I decided to upgrade  to the latest server 4.3.1.0 a week or so ago.

I immediately noticed that my external media players, PowerDVD and Total Media Theater (TMT), would not function at all.

Do the new releases of Emby Server not support external players configured in the WMC configurator any longer?  It appears that the server now ignores anything set up in the WMC configurator.   Thankfully, I backed up the previous 3.5.1.0 installation and was able to restore fine.  All works again and my external media players now operate as before.  If this is the case, I will then just stay with this version of Emby server to retain the external players function.

Exactly how do you have your external player configured?

I believe, with 4.x of the server, EMC has lost the ability to tell the difference between a DVD and a BD rip so, if you defined your external player for BDs then that may not work (if that's what you are trying to play).  MKVs should work and, if you setup a player for DVDs that should catch all your folder rips.

You have to come to grips with the fact that if you run EMC you will have to stay at a server version where everything works according to your liking if not now then in the future. This is what I have done as I am using Emby and EMC most likely in a similar fashion as you do.

TMT is no longer existing as the company has shut down because of licensing issues. I deleted mine and replaced it with PDVD 17 for DVD and Blu-ray playback and MPC-HT for playing everything else. You should in the configurator still be able to select the type of media and then enter the command line pointing to the application.

I am running the latest EMC version and from Luke's comment and the date for the latest EMC version you can see they will support it but if no one tests it there is no guarantee that it will work with a new server version. I made the update to server version 4 early in the development and stayed at version 4.0.1.0 as it does everything with my media the way I want it to, plus my themes for EMC work just fine.

Get used to the fact that those of us who are using WMC are a dying bread and most likely will have to stay at a version that works without getting the benefits of new features. For me the reason for switching to version 4 was the integration of Live TV.

• Like 1

Exactly how do you have your external player configured?

I believe, with 4.x of the server, EMC has lost the ability to tell the difference between a DVD and a BD rip so, if you defined your external player for BDs then that may not work (if that's what you are trying to play). MKVs should work and, if you setup a player for DVDs that should catch all your folder rips.

Well, I messed around with it some but it pretty much looks like it ignores WMC configurator completely. No external players even begin to try to play it files or discs. As I said, I am back to 3.5 .1 for now.

If I get some time, I may play with it further. But, it's all working good for me right now. Thanks for the reply. I was just curious if external player support had been dropped in server 4.x and on.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You have to come to grips with the fact that if you run EMC you will have to stay at a server version where everything works according to your liking if not now then in the future. This is what I have done as I am using Emby and EMC most likely in a similar fashion as you do.

TMT is no longer existing as the company has shut down because of licensing issues. I deleted mine and replaced it with PDVD 17 for DVD and Blu-ray playback and MPC-HT for playing everything else. You should in the configurator still be able to select the type of media and then enter the command line pointing to the application.

I am running the latest EMC version and from Luke's comment and the date for the latest EMC version you can see they will support it but if no one tests it there is no guarantee that it will work with a new server version. I made the update to server version 4 early in the development and stayed at version 4.0.1.0 as it does everything with my media the way I want it to, plus my themes for EMC work just fine.

Get used to the fact that those of us who are using WMC are a dying bread and most likely will have to stay at a version that works without getting the benefits of new features. For me the reason for switching to version 4 was the integration of Live TV.

Oh, I know, my friend. We are a dying breed. Just trying to get as much out of it as I can for now. I don't update anything very much anymore. I learned a long time ago after all the hours of setting up and tweaking an htpc, you have to be very careful of accepting updates for anything. They are fragile, and break very easily! I have had Windows 7 updates turned off since Microsoft went to the roll ups, where I could not back out individual updates that would break my setup. It's been that way ever since. And yes, I am going to keep using Windows 7. I haven't really found anything to easily replace what my set up can do. I can play anything from Avi to 3D Blu-rays.

I expect to be on this system for years to come.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Same here I am planning to use Win 7 also as long as I can. When I set up my Emby server 4.0.1.0 on an Intel NUC running Win 7, I did have to specify which program should open DVDs and which should open ripped BDMV folders. PDVD 17 does this and all other file formats were specified to use MPC-HT. You know the Emby client that runs in the Windows Media Center environment is called EMC. I can't understand why you could not find the tab in the configurator where you enter the path to the programs. Perhaps there it is only in the advanced settings and not the basic settings.

Anyhow I wish you all the best in your playback setup. For me the major advantages in version 4 are the much improved library scans, the Live TV feature as well as the excellent metadata manager. Because I run Throgmorton's themes, it requires EMC and the most stable is a Win 7 PC. Home Theater enthusiast are in vast minority when it comes to the EMBY user base.

• Like 1

Same here I am planning to use Win 7 also as long as I can. When I set up my Emby server 4.0.1.0 on an Intel NUC running Win 7, I did have to specify which program should open DVDs and which should open ripped BDMV folders. PDVD 17 does this and all other file formats were specified to use MPC-HT. You know the Emby client that runs in the Windows Media Center environment is called EMC. I can't understand why you could not find the tab in the configurator where you enter the path to the programs. Perhaps there it is only in the advanced settings and not the basic settings.

Anyhow I wish you all the best in your playback setup. For me the major advantages in version 4 are the much improved library scans, the Live TV feature as well as the excellent metadata manager. Because I run Throgmorton's themes, it requires EMC and the most stable is a Win 7 PC. Home Theater enthusiast are in vast minority when it comes to the EMBY user base.

One2Go, you got me thinking.  I managed to find 4.0.1.0 on github, and downloaded the file with system folder for Emby Server.  Backed up my existing setup first, deleted the system folder, and copied 4.0.1.0 system folder. 

I am running the latest beta of WMC client.  Here is a snapshot of the Configurator for WMC:

5e32eee40a6dd_WMCConfigurator.jpg

I use PowerDVD 12 strictly for ISO files (not flac).  (never have been able to get it to play DVD/BR folders in EMBY)

Selecting flac as file type bypasses PowerDVD in case it's a DVD/BRrip folders as selects TMT5 as the player.

TMT5 will play either DVD/BR rip folders or ISO files.

MPC-HC for all the rest.

Results:  running Server 4.0.1.0, cannot play anything with external players.  It's like the above configurator setup doesn't even exist.

I get the emby internal player screen but nothing plays.

I did manage a slight upgrade, as I did find Emby Server 3.5.3.0 when I was looking around github, so that's more recent than 3.5.1.0.  I restored my data folder, and used the new 3.5.3.0 system folder, and it all works again.

Guess this is as far as I will be able to upgrade as far as Emby Server goes. 

As you said, we are used to this!

post-153235-0-21760900-1580396206_thumb.jpg

Edited by 580guy

Moving your server version back and forth like that without also completely re-building your database is going to cause potential issues and undefined behavior.

I likewise run the latest beta for WMC version 3.0.317.0 according to the device portion of the server admin pages. Below is a screen shot of my configurator.

5e33137e20790_EMCConfigurator.jpg

If I remember correctly I kept the Generic entry for just in case and copied the MPC-HT settings. Since TMT didn't work for me anymore, at a sale I purchased in January 2018 PDVD 17 Ultra discounted to $36 and it works like a charm. Since I use a Logitech 10ft remote I programed one button with the "Alt-F4" function and after finishing playing the content by pressing the button it closes PDVD and returns to EMC.

For MPC-HT I only use the LAV decoders and splitter which handles all audio and video formats so no need for any additional application.

Finally there have been endless discussions on ISO versus BDMV folders with no clear winner, but since ISOs require an additional step of mounting them I ripped all my BDs to BDMV folders using AnyDVD. As they say if you want to play you got to pay, Boys want toys, big boys want expensive toys :D

Moving your server version back and forth like that without also completely re-building your database is going to cause potential issues and undefined behavior.

When I upgraded to 4.x I realized it would be rebuilding the database.  Switching back to 3.x, I didn't attempt to use the 4.x database with it.  I restored the 3.x data folder from my backup.  Here's basically what I did:

I wiped Server 3.x system folder.

I copied Server 4.x system folder.

I ran Server 4.x and was informed it was rebuilding the database, and to wait.  I did.

Pulled up the web interface, checked all settings, libraries, metadata...everything shows correctly.

Close browser.  Started Emby for WMC.  Checked settings, libraries..everything shows.

Went to play various file types, mkv, .iso, BR rip folders....nothing plays.

Decided to go back to 3.x

Shut down Emby server

wiped 4.x system folder

wiped 4.x data folder

Copied 3.x system folder (from backup) to Emby-Server folder

Copied 3.x data folder (from backup) to Emby-Server folder

Started Emby Server

So, in short I am keeping the system and data folders paired with each other when I switch.

Everything works fine with 3.5.3.0.  Just seems to me that Emby Server 4.x doesn't work with the Configurator for WMC settings at all. 

I tried both 4.0.1.0 and 4.3.1.0.  Nothing plays at all. Go back to 3.x, everything plays.

I realize WMC users are not where Emby's bread and butter is any longer. We know that each day that goes by, the more we will be on our own.  I was just seeing how far I could upgrade but I think 3.5.3.0 is probably it to stay with Windows Media Center and the setup I am using.

I likewise run the latest beta for WMC version 3.0.317.0 according to the device portion of the server admin pages. Below is a screen shot of my configurator.

5e33137e20790_EMCConfigurator.jpg

If I remember correctly I kept the Generic entry for just in case and copied the MPC-HT settings. Since TMT didn't work for me anymore, at a sale I purchased in January 2018 PDVD 17 Ultra discounted to $36 and it works like a charm. Since I use a Logitech 10ft remote I programed one button with the "Alt-F4" function and after finishing playing the content by pressing the button it closes PDVD and returns to EMC.

For MPC-HT I only use the LAV decoders and splitter which handles all audio and video formats so no need for any additional application.

Finally there have been endless discussions on ISO versus BDMV folders with no clear winner, but since ISOs require an additional step of mounting them I ripped all my BDs to BDMV folders using AnyDVD. As they say if you want to play you got to pay, Boys want toys, big boys want expensive toys :D

Ahh.. I see what your're doing.  You are calling up the Desktop version of PowerDVD, playing your media and then doing the Alt-F4 to close it.  I am using the players that are installed into WMC by TMT5 and PowerDVD (although I understand that later versions of PowerDVD do not integrate into Windows Media Center any longer).  I am sure that's why it is tricker for my setup as I am using these integrated versions of the respective players.

I still use Iso's too.  Found a good script somewhere buried in this forum from a few years back that uses Daemon Tools lite to mount the iso files. Much more reliable than just the iso tool configuration located in the configurator.  But you already have ripped to BMDV folders.  I continue to use both.

Thanks for showing me how you do it!   There are certainly many ways to do things, eh?

I noticed in your configurator's screen shot you are running version 3.0314.0 when the latest version is 3.0317.0

Before I switched to the latest EMC none of the DVDs and BDs were working. When you say nothing plays does that include MKV files that should call up MPC-HC. MKV & MP4 files have always worked for me as they use MPC-HC. Can you start up the discs separately outside EMBY? It almost looks like that this could be a path or permissions problem within Emby if nothing plays.

I noticed in your configurator's screen shot you are running version 3.0314.0 when the latest version is 3.0317.0

Before I switched to the latest EMC none of the DVDs and BDs were working. When you say nothing plays does that include MKV files that should call up MPC-HC. MKV & MP4 files have always worked for me as they use MPC-HC. Can you start up the discs separately outside EMBY? It almost looks like that this could be a path or permissions problem within Emby if nothing plays.

One2Go, good catch.  Thought I had checked that.  I knew I was running the beta.  Didn't expect another newer beta release.  Well, I may have a go again.  Trying to figure out an easy way to "go back" if I don't like something in updating the beta for WMC.  I wish EMBY would make it easier to downgrade as all you get is a setup.exe file to start downloading the installation from online.  I wish you could get the complete install to save for later.  Especially since you are trying out a new "beta", not a final, and hence experimenting and testing out this newer version, that would make it much easier. As I stated before, I do EVERYTHING to protect my setup before accepting or trying any upgrades.  Rule #1, always be able to go back if it doesn't work out. I guess can always do an image restore of my drive partition to go back if something really goes south.

When I said nothing plays, I meant that no external player is called up at all from the WMC configurator.  Only the EMBY internal player runs instead. Some files play, some don't.  But regardless I want to use my external players as I do now.

With 4.X you need to be running the beta version of Emby for WMC.

Hey Luke, I missed this post sandwiched between all these megaposts!  Sometimes you just got to hit me over the head!!

Well, both you and Luke are right about having to use the latest (3.0317.0) of Emby for WMC to use Emby server versions 4.x.  My external players all work fine.

But, unfortunately I lose a lot of indexing functions for the Emby libraries with Emby for WMC.  I wasn't sure if it was Emby server 4.x or Emby for WMC beta 3.317.0 that did it, so I tried going back to Emby Server 3.53.0, while keeping the latest beta of Emby for WMC.   It turns out it's Emby for WMC that loses a lot of the indexing functions of your library databases.

However, it was told to me previously when I brought it up in a long ago post, that most users do not care about that and don't really use it. I understand that, but for me, with thousands of movies on a home server, it's one of the main reasons I chose Emby over other solutions out there, as it allowed me to organize, manage and search the extensive database to find what I wanted . So these functions are vital to me, perhaps not to others.

What I am talking about is entering a movie library.  At the top is a gear icon (called config menu when you hover over it).  I can use my remote to select it and a menu will pop up with CONFIG, VIEW, INDEX and CLOSE.

Choosing INDEX selects another menu ACTOR, GENRE, DIRECTOR, YEAR, STUDIO.

These all work correctly with Emby for WMC beta 3.0314.0 but not 3.0.317.0.  I believe YEAR and ACTOR do not work with 3.0.317.0. Additionally, once you have chosen a movie, clicking on it's genre results in NO ITEMS FOUND.  With 3.0314.0, movies containing that genre appear.

In any event, just posting my experiences for the withering user base here who may still want to use Emby for WMC.

On another note, once i upgraded to Emby for WMC beta 3.0.317.0, I tried to go back to beta 3.0314.0 but could not.  I ended up restoring my hard drive partition from an imaged backup.  I was going to try  to just overwrite the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\ but wasn't sure if there were some registry or other things that I would miss so went with restore.

So, for me the best setup is Emby for WMC beta 3.0314.0 and Emby Server 3.5.3.0. 

Anyhow, wanted to say thank you, especially to One2Go, for the help and insights.

Those items you are used to as "indexes" are implemented in Emby as "Views".  If you turn on the option to show sub-views in your libraries, you should get some folders for those views - although maybe not all of them exactly how you are used to them.