"People, and Artists, and Composers, Oh My!!"

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi All,

I posted here rather than in feature requests, because I wasn't quite sure what was possible and didn't know if there would be any consensus.

A "person" in MB terms can be a "People" or and "Artist". Metadata for "People" comes from TMDB and "Artist" from MusicBrainz (I think). Composers are considered "People" and are treated as video centric. If they have video associated, Composers show up under people (although you can't filter on them). Composers who have only associated music are only accessible at the song level, they don't show up under People or artists or ???

The thing is a person can be an Actor (or crew), and/or Artist and/or a Composer. I find myself copying metadata to account for the different permutations. So what should I ask for ? Standardized external id's for people and artists? Combining People and Artists? I don't know what would be best.

Is there something near term like supporting additional external id's that could be manually updated and some display enhancements. I realize there are client dependencies, but you have to have the data to begin with.

The other thing is that there are other "roles" for Music types as well. I noticed that when I tag music with Picard I am starting to get performers, Lyricists (a refinement of composers ?), etc.

Thanks, let me know your thoughts on refining this request.

• 2 weeks later...
Vicpa

Hi,

Anybody ?

Sorry if I jumped straight into the weeds (in a former life among other things I was a DBA/Data modeler) and sometimes go to the details rather than the big picture. 

Anyway, One of the things I really like about MB3 is the richness of the metadata and the relationships you can discover. A consolidated view of People, Artists and composers would really enhance this. There are lots of people who are all three. I am sure people can rattle them off, like Sting, Lyle Lovett etc.

As an example I added a "person" to an album (I didn't realize you could do this) and then just as a test I added them as actor on a TV show and a guess star in an episode and you get this

53b44e464d233_People.png

Which just lacking the Artist stuff 

53b44f3f57c31_Artist.png

The artist view is pretty limited, although the metadata is better.

I hope someone will take a look and let me know if anything can be done.

Thanks!!

(an answer of "you have way to much time on your hands" would be fine :))

Edited by Vicpa