Transcoding seems to work, but...

thrillcat

thrillcat

I can upload logs when I get home.

Last night attempted to watch a 4K UHD mkv rip from my server upstairs on the ATV4K. I got nothing but audio and a green blocky screen.

Looking at the dashboard on my phone while it was playing, everything appeared to be working properly on the server end, it showed that it was transcoding, and was ahead of the playback progress.

Anything under 4K was a direct stream, so it worked just fine.

Streaming 4K to my Shield and ATV4K in the theater works fine, but is also hardwired. The upstairs is WiFi.

I wrote it off as a network issue, but then tried it on PLEX, and it played back just fine. Same file, server, WiFi, and AppleTV. So it would seem it’s something in Emby, but I don’t know what.

The Emby Server is a powerful machine (Dell T710, 2x Xeon X5650 6 Core CPUs w/hyper threading (24 total cores), 72GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS/Boot/App drive) so it shouldn’t have a problem transcoding anything. It also has 2 graphics cards, just because.

Where should I be looking first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thrillcat

Update. Just tried the ATV4K in the theater, which is hardwired, and had the same green blocking screen with audio. So it seems that it’s transcoding for AppleTV regardless of connection speed, and not transcoding properly?

ffmpeg-remux-1dd591bc-4d48-41c4-864e-3cacc24647ab_1.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by thrillcat

thrillcat

It's not transcoding.It's remuxing audio because DTS is not supported.

Ok. Makes sense. But why is the video blocky and green then?

thrillcat

And is the dashboard just saying Transcoding instead of Remuxing because.... ?

Edited by thrillcat

vdatanet

Ok. Makes sense. But why is the video blocky and green then?

That's another history. Can you post media info of that file? Do you have another track to select (AC3)?

vdatanet

244bc8db9a9e3d6b711593f8c5fb6472.jpg

It's says direct streaming. I just transcoding audio. If video was transcoding, you should see "Transcoding" instead of "Direct Streaming"

thrillcat

That's another history. Can you post media info of that file? Do you have another track to select (AC3)?

No other audio track. I only pull the primary lossless track.

49bf21e50c7ec6aa1ab5d5e0935182d7.jpg

Happy2Play

Currently 4k that needs audio converted has this issues.  I would assume it would direct play without issue if there was a supported audio track.  This should be the same as all the other 4k topics.

Edited by Happy2Play

seanbuff

side note: you might want to hide your Public IP in your screenshot

• Like 1

vdatanet

BTW HEVC HDR is not supported at this time by MPV player, even playing a supported audio track, 

thrillcat

BTW HEVC HDR is not supported at this time by MPV player, even playing a supported audio track,

What player does the ATV4K use, and what player does PLEX on the ATV4K use? Because the files playback fine in PLEX through the same infrastructure. And they playback fine in Infuse which converts the audio to LPCM. The audio plays back fine in Emby but the video doesn’t.

How should I be configuring this? Everything I throw at the Shield works, but I only have the ATV4K upstairs.

Honestly, it’s not a huge deal because I will rarely watch movies on the TV, and only some of those will be UHD rips, but I’d just like to know how to configure for my own understanding.

I’m a video guy. I shoot, edit, produce and direct video productions. I can lock down any workflow up to delivery, but all this server stuff is new to me. Until last summer I was just a disc player guy.

vdatanet

At this time, Emby for Apple TV uses MPV player. The most important limitation is that match content (dynamic range and frame rate) does not work. HDR content is also unsupported. Audio is never converted to LPCM. So unsupported formats are converted to AC3 and delivered using HLS MPEGTS. Interlaced video also has limited support.

In beta version, you can select native player as default player. As Apple TV native player does not support MKVs, MKVs are delivered using HLS MPEGTS. This has the limitation that HEVC is not supported, because Apple TV requires HLS using fMP4 for HEVC content, So H265 is transcoding to H264 and you lose HDR.

• Like 1

thrillcat

At this time, Emby for Apple TV uses MPV player. The most important limitation is that match content (dynamic range and frame rate) does not work. HDR content is also unsupported. Audio is never converted to LPCM. So unsupported formats are converted to AC3 and delivered using HLS MPEGTS. Interlaced video also has limited support.

In beta version, you can select native player as default player. As Apple TV native player does not support MKVs, MKVs are delivered using HLS MPEGTS. This has the limitation that HEVC is not supported, because Apple TV requires HLS using fMP4 for HEVC content, So H265 is transcoding to H264 and you lose HDR.

That is hugely helpful. Thank you.

So what is Emby on the AppleTV doing with Live TV, and with DVR recordings that are dumped into mkv containers for playback? That is my primary use of Emby on AppleTV.

vdatanet

That is hugely helpful. Thank you.

So what is Emby on the AppleTV doing with Live TV, and with DVR recordings that are dumped into mkv containers for playback? That is my primary use of Emby on AppleTV.

MPV player doesn't play well live tv recordings. Using native player in beta version, playback is very good, but content is transcoded and deinterlaced in the server, so you need a server powerful enough.

MKVs will need to be played by the MPV player or remuxed with the native one.  If your primary playback platform is Apple, then I highly suggest mp4 as a container instead of MKV.

• Like 1

vdatanet

MKVs will need to be played by the MPV player or remuxed with the native one.  If your primary playback platform is Apple, then I highly suggest mp4 as a container instead of MKV.

Yes, MP4 is the recommended container for Apple TV. I have converted several MKVs to MP4 and they are played directly using native player. The only limitation is that HEVC Level 153 (UHD Bluray rips) freezes every 2-3 mins. 

• Like 1

thrillcat

MKVs will need to be played by the MPV player or remuxed with the native one. If your primary playback platform is Apple, then I highly suggest mp4 as a container instead of MKV.

Well, I watch very little TV. We DVR about 3 hours a week.

AppleTV is my preferred device for internet streaming, and the only device upstairs.

I understand its shortcomings, which is why I have both an AppleTV (for Netflix, AppleTV+, and all the online sources) and a Shield (for local file playback) in my theater.

I have MCEbuddy removing all commercials from recordings and rewrapping as MKV, just to match my disc rips. (I may be a little OCD about stupid things like that). Also because MKV playback much smoother than the original .ts files.

If I change my MCEbuddy settings to mp4, won’t it transcode my entire TV Shows folder? I don’t want that, considering many of the items in there are ripped from bluray into MKV.

I don’t have a bunch of server traffic, nobody outside of the family in the house, and never more than one show at a time happening.

As little TV as I watch, and as powerful as my server is, I think I’ll just let the server transcode for a few hours a week when needed.

If I change my MCEbuddy settings to mp4, won’t it transcode my entire TV Shows folder?

No, changing the container would not cause a transcode.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Most Live TV is 1080i, and that content, even in MP4 container, is not supported by Apple TV native player, so it will be transcoded and streamed, then it is not worth repack mkv to mp4.

• Like 1

sfatula

Why not just use Infuse then? I use Emby for TV/DVR, and, Infuse in theater room for movies. Plays anything really. It is likely I will not use Emby for movies for many years as I don't expect a good solution any time soon. The only loss is Atmos. Not a big deal to me.

Emby is fine for TV and DVR though. 

sfatula

Most Live TV is 1080i, and that content, even in MP4 container, is not supported by Apple TV native player, so it will be transcoded and streamed, then it is not worth repack mkv to mp4.

Which is why I made a script to take 1080i and turn into 1080p mp4, it allowed it to playback fine in mpv. I just made it as post processing script on any dvr recording. Also frame doubled it and it provided smooth playback even on sports. 

Edited by sfatula

thrillcat

Why not just use Infuse then? I use Emby for TV/DVR, and, Infuse in theater room for movies. Plays anything really. It is likely I will not use Emby for movies for many years as I don't expect a good solution any time soon. The only loss is Atmos. Not a big deal to me.

Emby is fine for TV and DVR though.

I use a Shield in the theater for movies. It meets all my needs for that, especially since I’ve switched from PLEX to Emby.

I just prefer the overall AppleTV UI for everything else. But I also realize Apple has hobbled 3rd party capabilities, so when I need full capability, I use the Shield.

Losing Atmos/DTSX would be a big deal for me. Which makes Infuse a non-starter.

I’d rather use a single platform, even if it’s on different device types.