How to allow only certain movies?

zBernie
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

zBernie

I set the parental control for my 10 year old kid to TV-14.  When I access movies using his account I can only see about 20 movies, and we have many more, that I want him to be able to view.  For example, none of the Transformer movies are visible.  Is there a way I can select the Transformer movies and allow my kid to view them with his account, but keep the TV-14 parental rating?

It seems if I used tag restrictions I have to tag ALL movies that he's allowed to view, which would be very cumbersome.

-Thanks

Happy2Play

No easy way.  As you mentioned tags or manually applying a Custom Rating to the items you wish him to see.

sfatula

Yeah. If you were starting from scratch, the easiest manual control is when you simply store them in different directories, and, give him access to his directory, but not the other directory. Ratings don't always mean much. I've seen some R rated movies I had no idea why they were rated R. But then, I've seen PG movies that were not PG either. The only perfect way is to make your own decision on each movie. But it's cumbersome, unless, you started the collection with that thought in mind. Of course, problem with that then becomes people get older, lol. 

Custom rating seems easiest. 

yaksplat

I add Custom Ratings on my media for shows and movies that are greater than PG if i want them visible to my son's logins.  I tell them to ask me for each item so i'm not going to go through and guess what they'd want to see. It's easy enough to update.

zBernie

Setting a custom rating in the metadata editor is probably your best bet.

Yes!  I set my kids account parental rating to TV-14.  Then edited a movie he didn't have access to using the metadata manager and set the custom rating to "ALLOWED" and voila!  Works great.   Thanks for your quick response, the support in the Emby forum is outstanding.

Speaking of my 10 year old son, he loves The Big Bang Theory!  We watch it and Young Sheldon every Friday.  After the BB season ended, we're going back and watching old episodes, up to season 3 now!   I love that show too.

Happy2Play

Yes!  I set my kids account parental rating to TV-14.  Then edited a movie he didn't have access to using the metadata manager and set the custom rating to "ALLOWED" and voila!  Works great.   Thanks for your quick response, the support in the Emby forum is outstanding.

Speaking of my 10 year old son, he loves The Big Bang Theory!  We watch it and Young Sheldon every Friday.  After the BB season ended, we're going back and watching old episodes, up to season 3 now!   I love that show too.

Thanks for the feedback !

@@Luke wouldn't "Allowed" fall under the "unrecognized rating information"? 

@@zBernie Do you have any of the "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information:" options selected on the user Parental Controls?