Hardware recommendation for low energy Server

mws

Hi,

i am searching for a low energy hardware for my emby server that supports hardware transcoding for 2 oder 3 streams at the same time.

What can you recommend me?

Regards

Manuel

Hi,

I already have a Synology NAS, but I don't want to use that as an Emby server.

What Do you say about Intel NUC NUC6CAYH?

This NUC has an Intel Celeron J3455 CPU with Intel Quick Sync support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I already have a Synology NAS, but I don't want to use that as an Emby server.

What Do you say about Intel NUC NUC6CAYH?

This NUC has an Intel Celeron J3455 CPU with Intel Quick Sync support.

I haven't run an Emby server on one of these, but I did put windows on one. I found it very sluggish doing basic tasks in windows, granted I only put in 8gb of ram.

I ended up using them all with LibreELEC to run Kodi.

Now they're sitting in a box in my basement since I switched to NVidia Shields and the android app.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
jang430
On 1/30/2020 at 1:30 AM, mikeaubin said:

@@mws, My Emby server run on an Odroid H2 and the performance is very good. No problem to hardware transcode 3 streamsat the same time.

Hello @mikeaubinIs this still working?  Can it do 4K hevc transcode?

mikeaubin

Hi @jang430Yes, it still works and no problem to transcode 4K HEVC. H2 support Quicksync so, it transcode 4k HEVC with a speed between 40 fps and up to 100 fps, it depends of the bitrate of the movie and  others specifications of the video file. So, no problem to transcode 4k HEVC.

jang430

@mikeaubin

To reiterate, I am confirming whether Emby server does work with your Odroid h2. Can you explain a bit regarding the Fps? My idea about the topic is I need to be able to transcode 2-3 streams of 4k Hevc either 8-bit, or 10-bit to 1080p or 720p resolution on iPads. Is this device capable? What OS did you use to install Emby server? I think this is the first time someone confirmed to me that it is possible to do my requirement on single board computer.

Edit: I just went to check out Odroid H2, and saw it has an Intel processor. Intel Celeron J4105. I wonder why that is capable whereas I have an Intel NUC using Pentium j5005, and it is definitely struggling. I installed Ubuntu on It, and installed Emby server. It is doing hardware transcoding, but it is having difficulty with even a single stream.

Edited by jang430

mikeaubin

@jang430 No problem with 1 stream, but it's not enough powerfull for 2 or 3 streams. You should buy a NUC release 8 minimum  with a core i5. I run Plex on my Nuc8i7 and I am able to transcode more than 10 streams at the same time with the hardware transcoding. I never test my nuc with Emby.

With your J5005, wich transcoder do you use ? VAAPI or Quicksync ? Quicksync is a lot faster on my Odroid H2 than VAAPI. My Emby server run under Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I have 16 GB of RAM and my HDD is a 250 GB SSD NVME. I run Emby server release 4.6.4.0.